Know anything about the 7.62 tokarov?

PDA

ArkansasFatboy
November 27, 2006, 02:05 AM
Guys do any of you know any thing about the 7.62 tokarov. I have seen this gun at fairly reasonable price 120.00 but did not know any thing about it. Is it a good plinking gun just to mess with or is it better left alone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Know anything about the 7.62 tokarov?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
November 27, 2006, 02:12 AM
Is it a CZ-52 or TT-33?

They're both military handguns firing a high-pressure round in the .30 caliber range. They're hard hitting and have a flat trajectory for a handgun.

silverlance
November 27, 2006, 02:23 AM
The TT for 120 - i'd buy 3 for that price and i can't afford even one right now.

The CZ 52 - unbelievably accurate plinking piece. It took me about 8 rounds but I hit a bowling pin at 200 yards with it. I did the same thing twice again that day (two weeks ago). Each time it took me between 4 - 8 rounds, but the mere fact that i was able to do it was very impressive. all the more so, because i am a mediocre shot at best.

now that my p228 is jammed solid, i am using the cz52 as my hd piece. it is not what i'd call ideal for an hd gun, but it will do the job and it's important to note that ive never had a jam with it in over 400 rounds. that's something that not even my sig as been able to do - my p228 has jammed once in 800 rounds, bad ejected twice, and failed to fire 3 times. could be the ammo, but then again the ammo in my cz52 is 30+ years old and corrosive while the 9mm is new and shiny!

eastwood44mag
November 27, 2006, 02:50 PM
The 7.62 Tokarev is a nasty little round, known for overpenetration. Czech surplus can reach 1600 fps, IIRC, with an 85 grain bullet.

Regardless of whether it's an actual Tokarev or a CZ52, it's probably worth $120.

Starter52
November 27, 2006, 03:17 PM
The Tokarev is a reliable handgun. It is uncomfortable to shoot, IMO, from the factory. A low cost slip-on rubber grip makes it a lot more pleasant.

$120 is a great price for a Russian Tokarev, and a decent price for a Chinese one.

eastwood is right. The 7.62x25 is a real mover.

yodar
November 27, 2006, 07:45 PM
I dont regard either as a good first gun. You spend more time dealing with the deficiencies of the gun rather than acquiring good shooting habits.

The CZ 52 has a habit of breaking firing pins, is subect to some bad lots of surplus ammunition( I reload)

The main thing that's fun about the CZ 52 is it is a loudenboomer mit spitzensparken. Didja see Robby Coltrane's Character blast away towards James Bond's nethermost regions in the nightclub scene in Goldeneye. HOOT!

Take it to the range and it acquires the nickname from those nearby (" What the EFF was THAT?!!)

It'll hit a bowling pin with authority at 100 yards and punch thru a car door if you are under attck. Kevlar helmets and Body armor too.

The Tokarev T 33 is even more subect to failures in My opinion. I have one that doubles frequently upon firing and it jest dont feel comfortable when I shoot it. It is a hangar queen.

I wish the Ruger P-95 had been my first gun instead of my second. A lot more funer shooting and less fussing would have happened.

Yodar

If you enjoyed reading about "Know anything about the 7.62 tokarov?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!