What is largest Game animal taken with 357mag & 44mag from a wheelgun?

PDA

Glamdring
November 27, 2006, 05:00 AM
Wanting sources. I think someone(s) taken elephant with 44, don't know if anyone did with 357.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is largest Game animal taken with 357mag & 44mag from a wheelgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
November 27, 2006, 05:27 AM
Wesson did publicity hunts for the .357 and took all the large N. American game. I'm pretty sure the .44 Mags have been used to take Cape Buff. and Elephant.

Shootcraps
November 27, 2006, 06:11 AM
Larry Kelly of Magnaport has taken every game animal on the planet, including the Big Five in Africa with a 44 Magnum revolver.

Robert Peterson, editor of G&A took a huge polar bear in 1965 with the 44.

bakert
November 27, 2006, 08:22 AM
Although most of the largest animals have been taken with a .44 mag and even a .357, it's a stunt and in my opinion although maybe legal in many instances, I consider it a damned poor practice. Also a good way to get clawed, chawed, stomped on or et. Hunting with a handgun is a fine sport for people with the skill and patience and enough gun for the critters they're after.

GRIZ22
November 27, 2006, 08:31 AM
I remember seeing on TV back in the 60s (when they could show such things on network TV before cable) someone killing an elephant with a 44 Magnum. He was backed up by someione with a double rifle.

A story in I believe Petersen Pubs Hunting magazine in the 70s or 80s related how the author was treed by a Cape Buffalo when he walked down to the waterhole armed with a camera and a SW Model 27. I can't remember who the author was but he was a well known hunter, Jack O'Connor, Peter Capstick Hathaway, or someone like that. He had the revolver loaded with the old pointy metal piercing rounds. The tree apparently wasn't very substantial and he had concern about the Cape Buffalo taking it down so he made do with what he had. It did take more than one round and I'm not sure where he aimed but did discuss in the article the animal's anatomy.

nero45acp
November 27, 2006, 10:38 AM
I remember seeing in a 70's(?) issue of National Geographic magazine a series of photos showing a good sized polar bear charging a group of men on an ice sheet. The photos showed the bear getting closer and closer, and the last photo showed the bear laying dead with a number of gunshot wounds to it's torso. The caption to the series of photos stated that the charging polar bear had been felled with a .357 Magnum revolver.

nero(would've had to change his BVD's if he had been on that ice sheet....)

springmom
November 27, 2006, 01:52 PM
We got a complimentary issiue of the magazine Successful Hunter the other day, and it has a story, with pix, of large game taken with revolvers. But IIRC, they were with .454 Casulls....yup, just checked. They show a deer taken with a .44mag, but the big game were taken with .454's.

Springmom

BoneDigger
November 27, 2006, 02:27 PM
Many a mammoth was killed with a spear and atl-atl. Under the right cirmustances, I think that a .357 or .44 would be deadly enough on most large game.

Todd

Dr.Rob
November 27, 2006, 03:14 PM
Nero I saw that too (As I recall that was a walking expedition to the north pole, and the revolver was the only firearm they/he had) I'd swear it was a stainless 4 inch model 29 S&W .44 and the shooter was Norweigan or Icelandic. It was also partially filmed, though they set aside the film camera for a still camera during the actual event. (Saw it on tv)

He didn't want to shoot the bear but he was convinced it was stalking them to feed.

SJshooter
November 27, 2006, 04:18 PM
I can't imagine the adrenaline rush of doing something as stupid as trying to take down a Cape Buffalo with a .44... but it's been done.

usmccpl
November 27, 2006, 07:28 PM
Peter Hathaway Capstick once took a Cape buffalo using a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag. Cant remember where I read that just that he wanted to see if it could be done.

one shot one kill

Poohgyrr
November 27, 2006, 10:15 PM
Gunmetal strength and gunpowder have come a long way in the last ten or twenty years. It's apparently pretty hard to stop a big bullet, even with a muzzle velocity of only 1500 fps or so.

I remember Seyfried writing articles about this back when, about the time he took a Cape Buf with his custom .45LC

If you enjoyed reading about "What is largest Game animal taken with 357mag & 44mag from a wheelgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!