EAA Witness PS

PDA

LubeckTech
November 27, 2006, 11:11 AM
Does anybody have information about these? I am seeing some good prices online but am a bit leary of the polymer frame and concerned about the trigger pull.

If you enjoyed reading about "EAA Witness PS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleTap007
November 27, 2006, 03:06 PM
Have the Compact Poly in .45. So far its been great. Very accurate. My only inital problem was I needed to replace both mag springs with Wolff +10% because I was having FTF on last round in the mags. All ironed out now.
Overall very nice gun IMO. The ability to change calibers is what sold me.

browningguy
November 27, 2006, 03:48 PM
I've been shooting one in 9mm since about 1997 or '98. Never had any failures at all, it's my bedside pistol now by the way. Frames hold up well, more accurate than they should be for the price, decent SA trigger, a little heavy in DA. Since I always carried it cocked and locked the DA trigger was never really an issue for me.

They are made by Tanfoglio in Italy who has won the world championship in various disciplines several times in the past. Well made guns, although the finish on some of the cheaper models sometimes leaves a bit to be desired.

GARY1911A1
November 27, 2006, 09:21 PM
I was looking at the polymer frame EEA Witness Pistols until I saw they only weight 3oz. less than the steel frame models. I sometimes wonder if that's correct, but that's what I've seen in several places. For only 3oz. I'll just get the steel frames.

LubeckTech
November 27, 2006, 09:41 PM
I'm considering a steel Witness in .40 S&W and would prefer steel but it would be about $200 more. The Polys I've seen are used and the steel new which would be about $450 by the time I receive it. There is a used poly with in my state (within driving distance) at a dealer for $250. I think the poly weighs almost as much as the steel version.

Grayrider
November 28, 2006, 10:36 AM
I would suggest you stay with the steel models as they seem to be more trouble free. I had only one polymer and it worked fine, but if you look over the past posts on various forums I think you will see a tendency for the polymer guns to have more issues.

If you can get a deal on one of the new 9mm models I would suggest those over the previous ones. The large frame 9mm now uses an 18 round magazine derived from the .38 Super magazine. While not magazine compatible with earlier 9mm models, it provides both higher capacity and a really stout platform to run the mild 9mm cartridge. The end result is one of the softest shooting 9mm pistols you will ever find. I would strongly encourage you to order extra mags now from EAA, as the 18 rounders have only been coming in for a year or two and if banned may be hard to find. My 9mm Stock runs fine with .38 Super 18 rounders as well, but needed some slight tweaking to do so. Tanfoglio at first used the same mags for both rounds, but then modified the 9mm 18 shot magazines by adding a track in the front to prevent tilt.

.38 Super is also a great round in a Witness if you don't mind the more limited ammo availability. Lastly I would say if you don't mind to spend in the $500-600 range, the Witness Match is an outstanding value with many upgrades over the base gun. It is a bit larger due to the longer slide, but a true tack driver of a pistol. I have had both 10mm and .38 Super Matches, and both guns would put entire magazines through a hole about 1 - 1.5" in diameter at 15m from a standing position.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "EAA Witness PS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!