P345

PDA

longboard
November 27, 2006, 09:26 PM
Who has had real good times with there ruger and would recommend them to a good friend.
I have my eye on one because they are in 45 auto [my favorite] and are smaller than my 1911's.
Do you like the trigger pull? i mean really like it?
I shoot most of my handguns single action , and would most likley do the same with this one even on the first shot.
Thanks Longboard

If you enjoyed reading about "P345" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Handgun Midas
November 27, 2006, 10:24 PM
I chose the P345 as my carry gun, and I still believe it to be a good choice.
I like single stack .45's, but didn't want to carry a 1911.
Very safe, powerful platform, light and thinner than many other handguns.
Field stripping is very simple as well.

My P345 has worried me a few times.
Once it got too dirty (about 400rds) and often missed slide-lock.
More recently the breech face developed a bur that caused the last round to feed un-reliably.

I keep the gun very clean, and I took some very fine grit sandpaper to the breach face.
When I practiced with the gun right after Thanksgiving, I'm pleased to say it had no issues.

I do not like the trigger pull; not in SA or DA mode.
The pull isn't really bad, but it is nothing to talk about IMO.
But I bought it as a CCW gun, not a target gun.

longboard
November 27, 2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks Handgun Midas.
Longboard

beretta9
November 28, 2006, 01:09 AM
I have had my P345 for about 6 months now, have only shot a couple hundred rounds through it all with no problems. I really like mine, very accurate, excellent for concealed carry. It has a fairly long trigger pull, but it is very smooth and breaks clean, with no overtravel. I would recomend it to anyone. There are a lot of guns out there at twice the price, but I don't think there is that much difference.

jlh26oo
November 28, 2006, 05:37 AM
I have my eye on one because they are in 45 auto [my favorite] and are smaller than my 1911's.
Do you like the trigger pull? i mean really like it?

Have had other ruger pseries in the past, and no complaints (beyond ergs and weight), but no experience with the 345. Looks good, a little slimmer and trimmer (still 29oz empty)...

in noticing your criteria, I do have to ask you a question though :uhoh: How are you with the GLOCK trigger? It is a trigger I personally "really like"; if you do, then you might take a look at the 36. And if you don't like the typical "block" grip- the 36's is considerably slimmer, so you might at least handle one. Considerably smaller than 1911, much lighter (27oz LOADED), and very smooth handling (if you are ok w/6 +1).

Others to look at in the .45 compact category you have targeted are the Taurus pt145 and the kahr p45. The latter I personally can't recommend being kahr plastic (as a pm9 owner), and don't know much about the pt145, except that on paper it looks good size/wieght/capacity (lighter than the 345 w/ > capacity) and their owners seem to love them- don't know about the trigger quality(da/sa), which seems to be a big priority for you (as is w/me). The kahr has a nice dao trigger, just not down w/kahr plastic.

Ah see the 345 has a 4 1/4" barrel, but one thing to keep in mind with the p45 (3.5") and g36 (3.78") is they both have polygonal rifling, which makes up the velocity loss, nearly to that of a 5" conventional rifled barrel in th elatter.

Looking forward to hearing more from [p345 owners though.

Anna's Dad
November 28, 2006, 02:52 PM
I have more expensive guns but my Ruger P-345 is still my favorite gun to shoot! Extremely reliable, too.

longboard
November 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
I have read so much about people not liking glocks that I never even thought about one in 45acp. I think the price is close to the Ruger and if the trigger is good it is one to look into.
I do have many Ruger's from single action 45's, .22lr .22 mag, mini 14, 30, red label, gp-100 security six, well you all see why I lean that way. All have been great guns.
Thanks for all the info you guy's have shared.
Longboard

pablo45
November 28, 2006, 07:06 PM
Go with the p90 buddy. I had the p345 and a jam every 2nd and 6th round. Sold it the next day. Glock's are the best in my opinion.

Handgun Midas
November 28, 2006, 11:18 PM
I had the p345... Sold it the next dayThen one could opine that you don't have much experience with the gun to judge it very well.

Not that any of us would feel any different if we bought a new gun and it was a lemon.
In any case, sorry about your luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "P345" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!