I bought a EAA Witness today...couple questions.

PDA

C-grunt
November 27, 2006, 09:47 PM
I sold my G23 (great gun, I just decided that .40 is not for me) and was doing some shopping for a 9mm. I was looking for a G19/26 but they were out of my budget and there appears to be no used ones in Phoenix.:scrutiny:

I ran across a EAA Witness in 9mm. The thing is very gently used and now that I cleaned it looks brand new. Its DA/SA with no de-cocker and has a flat grey finish. Im going to try and get to the range tomorrow and will give a range report when I do. I have a few questions though.

1. Where can I get some extra mags?
2. Can I just buy a different upper/mag and switch to .45 or 10mm?
3. Can anyone tell me how old it is...Serial EA3XXXX?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "I bought a EAA Witness today...couple questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
November 27, 2006, 09:56 PM
In order:

1. Extra mags can be bought direct from EAA, or from any number of retailers.
CDNN is a prime seller: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/eaa.html

2. This depends on whether you have the large size frame. EAA makes, or did make a smaller size frame that was too small to work with the .45.
Find your gun at EAA and you'll know:
http://www.eaacorp.com/

3. EAA can tell you how old it is.

jeepmor
November 27, 2006, 09:58 PM
I own a Witness Fullsize in 10mm and really enjoy it. However, it has had some growing pains that I have had to address. Some of these pains may be attributable to the larger round size of the 10mm cartridge, but some of it was definitely just poor finish/assembly work by the Italian manufacturer of Tanfolglio. On that note, here were my issues, which were successfully resolved with a dremel, some heavier recoil and magazine springs.

My mag catch needed to be relieved a bit, the shoulders were protruding and bumping the magazine during firing, causing it to occasionally drop. Not a desirable feature. I polished the trigger assembly also (only a few parts) that considerably improved the DA pull, now it's smooth, still heavy, but smooth. All of these tweaks, minus the magazine catch, can be reviewed at savvysurvivor.com. Good stuff for simple improvements that do make a big difference.

As for the rest of the info on issues with this firearm, goto 10mmtalk.com and look up witness and my tag "jeepmor." There has been a lot of Witness discussion and many have provided images and writeups on what they did to resolve quirky issues with these pistols.

If you have a large frame pistol, I beleive that you can buy new slides/magazine packages to accommodate different cartridges. Refer to EAA's website for details. I think the average prices is about $200.

jeepmor

browningguy
November 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
Congrats on the new purchase, I've been using a 9mm PS model since about '97 and it has been great. EAA will sell the mags I think it's 3 for $75, that's the only downside is there isn't really any cheap ones, although CDNN sells some you need to make sure you are getting the right ones.

The EAA site is http://www.eaacorp.com

kennedy
November 29, 2006, 10:30 PM
I have a witness silver team with an aimpoint on top in .40 my favorite hand gun for plinking.

Walkalong
November 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
I bought an old Silver Team in .45 with a red dot mounted and it's a fun shooter! Well made and accurate.

kirkcdl
November 30, 2006, 08:40 AM
"Cheaper than Dirt" has some of the Witness mags,and pun intended,they're "Cheaper than EAA".:rolleyes: My girlfriends Fullsize Standard model steel 45 upper and mags fit and function fine on my Elite Match 40 lower,when I want to shoot 45acp in single action...

Reed1911
November 30, 2006, 12:11 PM
We sell mags for the EAA for 20.00 each, bet no one else can beat that cost :eek:

lebshiff21
November 30, 2006, 12:23 PM
Reed - are they factory mags? Any in .45?

Reed1911
November 30, 2006, 01:00 PM
Factory new (Red Followers ((someone always asks)) We have them in stock in all calibers both large frame and small, FS and Cmpt.

bb21
November 30, 2006, 04:46 PM
Reed will the EAA mags work for my Full Size Baby Eagle in 9mm. I think they do but I was just wondering if you knew for sure, that's a great price.
Thanks, Blake

Reed1911
November 30, 2006, 04:54 PM
Yes, No, Maybe, and Sometimes. :evil:

Okay, so on some pistols they will work fine, on others they won't even seat fully. Same goes with the TZ and CZ pistols on parts as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "I bought a EAA Witness today...couple questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!