Simple 1911 question

PDA

darwin-t
November 28, 2006, 12:45 AM
I'm thinking about a Rock Island 1911 - the compact model.

I'm left handed. How would one put an ambidextrous safety on one?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simple 1911 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rotorflyr
November 28, 2006, 02:18 AM
The same way one would put an ambi on any compact 1911..........:neener:

Seriously though, if your trying to find out which ambi safety will work best, contact Ivan over on M1911 forum, and he'll be able to tell you what will work and what won't.

Chuck Perry
November 28, 2006, 04:15 AM
Any ambi safety will work. There are many, many makers of aftermarket parts out there. I like Ed Brown safetys myself. Whatever you end up with will have to be hand fit to your gun. Not a big deal. A gun smith will probably charge $50 or so to do this for you. Can be done yourself if your handy. I learned awhile ago I'm not a gunsmith, I let the pro's work on my guns.:D One other thing to consider is that you will either have to have your current grips modified for the ambi, or just purchase a new set that are already set up for them. The ambi needs a relief cut on the underside of the right panel to function.

BullfrogKen
November 28, 2006, 05:33 AM
darwin-t said: How would one put an ambidextrous safety on one?
By having a reputable gunsmith do it. I've fit a safety on the 1911 myself. If you don't know what you are doing, and don't have the tools you need to do it, let a professional do it. Even I still let a professional work on mine after being shown by the same fella how to do it properly.

darwin-t
November 28, 2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks everybody.

Rotorflyr, where is the m1911 forum?

Frandy
November 28, 2006, 07:32 AM
Here's the home page for the 1911 forums:

http://www.1911forum.com/

On the left side, click Forums.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simple 1911 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!