It Begins

PDA

Kali Endgame
November 28, 2006, 01:26 AM
I just recieved two of the four Lee presses I ordered. I have dies in all my calibers. About 6K brass. Six books on reloading. 25# of powder. Christmas break is in two and a half weeks. I will have plenty of free time to load load load.........:D

Is there anything out of the ordinary that a newbie should know?

If you enjoyed reading about "It Begins" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Crawlin
November 28, 2006, 01:40 AM
6K will only last you a few days :( Advice? Buy more brass and bullets!

Davo
November 28, 2006, 01:52 AM
The Lee website has some good free videos to watch. Read those books, and be ready for the range.

ojibweindian
November 30, 2006, 07:59 AM
My advice? More primers and powder.

Dr. Dickie
November 30, 2006, 08:16 AM
"I just recieved two of the four Lee presses I ordered.":what:

Are you re-loading or manufacturing?
Wow, you are going hard-core out the door.
What are you re-loading?
25# of powder is lots for pistol, not so much for rifle (I assume that 6K of bass means pistol).
You might want to get some "icy-hot" to rub on your arm before you go to bed at night:neener:

Kali Endgame
November 30, 2006, 11:06 AM
Dr Dickie,
I commit fully to any enterprises that I undertake. I'm reloading 30-06, 30-30, shot, and .45 ACP. I'v been messing with it a little over the last few days, but not seriously. Darn responsibilities :cuss: . It will probably take the whole Christmas break to reload all that brass. Of course I will shoot all that I make and just have brass again.:uhoh: Should be fun.

MaterDei
November 30, 2006, 01:31 PM
You're going to have the best Christmas ever!

Khornet
December 1, 2006, 08:53 AM
There's a temptation for the first-time reloader (I asssume that's what you are) to sit down with that nice new press and crank out a bundle of rounds. Resist it, is my advice. You'll need to load a few starting loads for each cartridge, and try 'em out at the range. Nothing worse than having to disassemble 500 carefully loaded rounds because you found they were too hot/inaccurate/poorly functioning in your particular guns. Have fun, but plan on some range work before you start cranking 'em out.

Oh, and start a detailed log of your loads-- cartridge, date, # of rounds, case and case prep, primer, bullet, powder, OAL, and any special points of technique (thrown or weighed charges, press and dies used, random or selcted bullets) etc. Saves a lot of groping around, increases safety, and your log is fun to pore over as it fills up.

Kali Endgame
December 2, 2006, 02:58 AM
Khornet,

Thanks for the tip about the log book. Never thought about that.

DWARREN123
December 2, 2006, 03:58 AM
Follow the reloading manuals. Do not go too heavy or lite in bullets or powder. Double check everything. Take your time and don't try to do too much at one time.
If you can, load 10 or 15 and test them. You can save time and material this way.
Have fun and be careful!

If you enjoyed reading about "It Begins" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!