Are All Your Weapons 100% Reliable?

PDA

StrikeFire83
November 28, 2006, 01:47 AM
I ask this question not in spite, but as a serious inquiry of my fellow gun owners. Around these forums I see people refer lovingly to their “safe queens” or “range machines” and it makes me stop and wonder. People talk about new handguns they’ve bought, often surpassing the $1,000 mark, which are simply too unreliable to use as defensive weapons. I owned a Kimber Custom II, which I loved to shoot and was crazy accurate with, but the thing would JAM or MALFUNCTION at least once (and often many more times) with every box of ammo. Needless to say I sold it at a loss. At this point in my life, being 23 and with limited monetary resources, there is no room in my life for unreliable firearms.

Now I understand that many folks use guns for reasons other than myself, and it’s not my place to judge how others enjoy their firearms. Some people are into the competitive speed shooting game, others love long range bulls eye championships, and others collect weapons for their beauty/historical value. I was always taught that a gun is a weapon, a tool used to kill. I admit to enjoying the practice of developing my shooting abilities at the range, preparing for a tactical situation that I hope will never come, but I don’t understand the value of owning a weapon that couldn’t function in its given purpose if the time came to use it. For me, the only legitimate “safe queen” would be a family piece used by either my father or grandfather in combat, which I will someday inherit when each of them pass on.

So I pose the poll question to everybody. Here are my personal stats:

1) Glock 17 – 2500 rounds downrange, ZERO MALFUNCTIONS
2) Springfield XD-45 Tactical – 600 rounds downrange, ZERO MALFUNCTIONS
3) Ruger SP-101 – 450 rounds downrange, ZERO MALFUNCTIONS

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/strikefire83/Gun.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Are All Your Weapons 100% Reliable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gudel
November 28, 2006, 01:49 AM
All HK's/Glock/Beretta. Of course they're reliable :D

I don't keep jamomatic, not even if it says 1911 or Sig on the slide. ;)

Rotorflyr
November 28, 2006, 01:52 AM
Strictly speaking, NOTHING is 100% reliable, any mechanical item can break at any given time, and just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it won't

StrikeFire83
November 28, 2006, 01:59 AM
Yes, yes. I understand that my firend. I'm talking about 100 percent reliability given reasonable maintenance and care, proper ammunition, and use by an intelligent person. Meaning not having to try 300 types of mags before finding one that works, or dumping a bucket of grease through the gun every 7 shots to ensure reliable feeding and extraction.

White Horseradish
November 28, 2006, 02:05 AM
I have "guns I use" and "guns I fix". The amateur gunsmithing is a fun hobby in and of itself.

Jackal
November 28, 2006, 02:14 AM
I have guns I know will work and that I can bet my life on. I also have guns that I really don't care about being reliable or not. If a burglar knocks down my door, he's gonna get a face full of my Bushmaster, which has never malfunctioned on me after the 500 rounds i've fired. The Bushmaster is a rifle I "need". However, my customized 10/22 jams about once per magazine. Do I care? Nope. It isn't a gun I'll ever truly "need". So, basically, there is an even medium to be struck between whether a gun needs to be "bet my life on it" reliable and a gun thats just for fun.

Gordon
November 28, 2006, 02:15 AM
Lets see: the Nambu is NOT reliable, the rest(46 semi auto's and 91 revolvers and 14 assorted other pistols) are pretty good since I got rid of the ones that were NOT really(capable of being reliable) shooters a few years back!:cool:

jeepmor
November 28, 2006, 02:33 AM
My Taurus pistols work wonderfully. My witness no so much. It's getting better with tweaking, but not 100% by any means.

jeepmor

Skywarp
November 28, 2006, 02:34 AM
Yep. I don't clean my guns for extended periods of time. If i cant shoot them for 2K rounds without more than a wipe down and maybe a drop of oil on the slides I don't keep them. The sigs are well over that now and my springer is at 1800. Dirty as hell but she's chugging along.

its not that I'm an elite tactical operator ninja, it's that I dont like things that have to be babied or that i have to attend to special needs.

Its stupid to have to clean a gun every single time to ensure maximum performance.

StrikeFire83
November 28, 2006, 02:41 AM
^ I'm inclined to agree. But 2k rounds with ZERO malfs between cleaning is a pretty high standard to hold any machine to. Might I inquire as to which guns have passed your test?

The longest I shot the glock between field stripping was 400 rounds, and I got a little nervous by the end of it.

grizz
November 28, 2006, 02:49 AM
I've had a few minor issues with my XD-40 5" and my Ruger Mk III hunter, but I'm pretty sure fine Utah sand/ dirt in the mags was the culprit in both cases.

The RSRH .44 mag has never let me down.

yongxingfreesty
November 28, 2006, 03:16 AM
yup, every single one. the 92 and 1911 are my safe queens. the sw,glock and cz are my shooters.

jlbraun
November 28, 2006, 03:29 AM
My CZ P-01 went 2300 rounds with no cleaning and no lube before I got a FTF jam (that I think was mag related anyway). The P226's clean-me-please point is about 600 rounds. I'm considering selling it.

Majic
November 28, 2006, 04:43 AM
You want a 100% reliable weapon? Get yourself a good knife.

SAG0282
November 28, 2006, 04:49 AM
I dont do the collector thing.....my absolute primary interest has to do with CCW, so I have pair of flawless pistols to that end. My secondary is hunting, and it's hard to go wrong with a good pump gun.

Skywarp
November 28, 2006, 05:03 AM
I'm inclined to agree. But 2k rounds with ZERO malfs between cleaning is a pretty high standard to hold any machine to. Might I inquire as to which guns have passed your test?

Not a problem. My 226 hit 2.1K rounds before i cleaned it, it was dirty but still functioned perfectly, no functional accuracy issues. The 239 looked like hell but made it to 2K, the short barrel left alot of crap all over the muzzle area of the gun. 229 passed like the 226.

I think sigs shoot better dirty anyways

The springer has had a mag issue but nothing to merit stripping it yet. it keeps going, im gonna hose her down after the next range trip, she should hit 2K after that she'll get more love.

My glock 20 is on the way i just gotta keep up my reloading. the barrel and gun look good after 700ish rounds .

my Walther p99 did 2k rounds without a hiccup too. i love this gun, perfect in my hand and sexy as hell. i have the titanium coated slide so it looked dirty as hell but only had a mag floorplate crack but they replaced that.

I think religious cleaning is silly and torture test my weapons to ensure if i need them no matter what their state is they will work when i need them. Dirty, clean, not perfectly lubed, lubed, gunked up, or clean they WILL work.

Finnicky guns have no place in my safe.

BullfrogKen
November 28, 2006, 05:20 AM
Majic said: You want a 100% reliable weapon? Get yourself a good knife.

Agree 100%. ;)

Nothing mechanical works 100% of the time.

Even I don't work right 100% of the time. So, I practice malfunctions drills. Again . . . and again . . . and again. That's the only way to approach this problem. Buy some orange dummy rounds and stuff 'em at odd intervals into your magazines, and shoot, TRB, shoot. Do it again and again until you get to the point you do it without consciously thinking "that round didn't go off, I need to TRB".

Even if you somehow got THE perfect gun, and you shot it perfectly every day you shoot, your ammo isn't perfect. I posted on a thread a while back about the DOJ's RFP for a new pistol, in .40 cal. An engineering buddy of mine was on the selection staff leading the testing. The ammo specs were explicit, every manufacturer had them months ahead of time, and every single one failed in the first lot for reliability and standards. And ALL the "big names" submitted, and all of the smaller ones that entered, too. NONE passed. Nothing is 100%. Of all the things that contribute to making a gun run, only 1 has to go wrong. The only 1 thing we can control is how we react to it.

If ya got a crapper of a gun, or mags, then ditch it.

I spent over $2500 on my two carry guns, $2500 for each. If they have an occasional malfunction in training, or houseclearing, or shooting steel, I don't even notice. Truthfully. I don't. I TRB, and move on. Anyone who says "their" gun hasn't malfunctioned, either:

isn't being honest (mostly to themselves), or
hasn't shot enough rounds through it to experience one

I shoot well in excess of 5,000 rounds a year through my MAIN carry when I'm healthy. If I had 99.5% reliability, that means out of 5000 rounds, I had to TRB 25 times last year. Eventually, if you shoot enough, you'll have one. Find a level of reliability you are comfortable with below 100%, and resolve to deal with the rest through practice.

strambo
November 28, 2006, 06:51 AM
I voted no, even though none of my current firearms (except my 22/45) have ever jammed. No machine is 100% and eventually one will jam due to poor ammo, grit or parts failure. No biggie, get better ammo, clean it or put a new part in. The odds of one of my clean, properly lubed, defensive guns loaded with good ammo jamming in the 1-7 or so rounds likely to be fired in a defensive scenario are astronomically low.

The poster who is considering selling his P226 because it gets finiky at 600 rds without cleaning, shouldn't. If my Sig only went 500 rounds without cleaning before a failure, that would be plenty (beats me what the # is, at least 400 at a course I went to). It is clean in my holster and I certainly don't carry 500 rounds to possibly use in a defensive shooting. I only carry 45 rounds of 9mm in a war zone. Sure you want a lot of extra reliability margin, but 4-500 rds in between cleanings ought to be plenty. Jamming at 100 would be more worrysome.

You want a 100% reliable weapon? Get yourself a good knife.Not even that. Tip breakage certainly happens in knife combat as well as issues with dull/chipped edges. Make it a folder...and we have other problems related to blade and lock strength to contend with.

No machine is 100% even simple ones. Training is key. Malfunction drills are more important to practice if you gun is very reliable. If you don't practice them, if your gun does malfunction in combat, you will be caught completely off guard. The guy with a more frequently jamming gun would TRB without hesitation.

Chris Rhines
November 28, 2006, 07:40 AM
My Glock 35 Limited gun has around 6000 rounds through it to date. I can induce a feedway stoppage any time I want simply by installing the Bar-Sto barrel. With the factory barrel, I've had maybe ten malfunctions out of ~6000 rounds, mostly involving dirt and grit in the magazines.

My Glock 19 has had around 1000 rounds through it, no malfunctions as of yet. It did lose the front sight one time, which was promptly replaced.

My JP AR-15 has recently hit the 10k mark. It recently had a few trigger malfunctions, two failures to reset and two light strikes. Both problems went away after a through scrubbing and tune-up of the trigger group. 10000 rounds on a JP trigger with no cleaning or adjustment is a pretty good run.

My backup parts-gun AR has maybe 2000 rounds, and it had a few malfunctions earlier in it's life. None in the last thousand or so rounds.

My shotgun also had a recent spate of malfunctions, related to a worn out mag tube spring that wouldn't feed the last #%*%@! round. A new spring seems to have fixed that one, and it rent through the last match without a hitch. Maybe 500 rounds on that gun since the most recent rebuild.

- Chris

Nematocyst
November 28, 2006, 07:51 AM
So far, yes.

870P (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47597&d=1163073635): impeccable. Just like the 870 Wingmaster of my youth: no malfunction.

Same with the K9 & SW642: they just fire everytime.

Soon to come: Marlin 336 in .30-30. I expect it will fire everytime.

But wait, what was the question?

Murphster
November 28, 2006, 07:55 AM
I've temporarily owned unreliable pistols. But only until I could trade or sell them off. With a rock, you know you've got one good lob. With an unreliable pistol, you never know if you've got a missile to throw, a club to swing, or a gun to shoot. I like to know.

redneckdan
November 28, 2006, 08:15 AM
Both of my pistols are reliable. I had jams with my 1911 when I first started loading for it. It was my first experience loading for a semi and I didn't know that OAL mattered that much.

Dr. Dickie
November 28, 2006, 09:01 AM
The only malfunctions I have had on my weapons were either bad magazines or when trying to find the correct OAL for a handload.

mmissile
November 28, 2006, 09:18 AM
I shot about 5000 rounds thru one of my USP 40's without cleaning it. It never failed to function[had a bad primer in one round though]. I finally cleaned it, due to getting so dirty myself when shooting it. I've had a couple of finicky Colts, and a few other pistols that I don't think I'd trust my life to.:scrutiny: All my rifles and shotguns seem to function flawlessly though.:)

lee n. field
November 28, 2006, 09:28 AM
2) Springfield XD-45 Tactical – 600 rounds downrange, ZERO MALFUNCTIONS
3) Ruger SP-101 – 450 rounds downrange, ZERO MALFUNCTIONS

450 rounds? 600 rounds? Pshaw -- those aren't hardly even dirty yet.

usp9
November 28, 2006, 09:32 AM
My never failed are:
HK P7, HK USPc9, Sig P232, Beretta 84 and 85 :D

My failed a couple times:
Seecamp LWS32, Walther TPH :uhoh:

My failed too many times to count:
CZ 83, CZ 82, Sig Mosquito :cuss:

rbernie
November 28, 2006, 09:48 AM
If I own it, I shoot it. If it fails to operate properly, it gets fixed. If it needs fixin' too many times or if it can't be reasonably fixed, it gets sold as a parts donor.

LeonCarr
November 28, 2006, 10:01 AM
No man made anything is 100% reliable, but I make every effort (good ammo, good magazines, regular cleanings) to make them virtually 100% reliable.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

JDGray
November 28, 2006, 10:03 AM
I voted no, for my main shooters.
CZ75- 100%
P345- 99%
22/45- 99%
GP100-100%
In all fairness, most if not all malfunctions, are ammo related, specialy in the .22:D

TexasRifleman
November 28, 2006, 10:30 AM
In my collection I have mostly reliable, but as your poll suggests, some are just for looks.

My great grandfathers 16ga SxS shotgun doubles every time and will cost me a fortune to fix it, so it's to look at.

My Colt Delta Elite IPSC gun has a documented 85,000+ rounds through it and no failures not related to my stupidity at the reloading bench so I feel pretty sure it will fire the next time I pull the trigger.

Actually come to think of it, I don't remember any actual failures to fire that were not ammo related ever in any gun I own or have ever owned.

Maybe a fail to eject or cycle on new autos now and then, but never a FTF because of the firearm.

Whirlwind06
November 28, 2006, 10:32 AM
You need a "depends" choice.
Depends on whether I have been tinkering with it or not :)
My stock XD 9mm has been 100% reliable except for the first 100 rounds of reloads that I loaded too light (per a recipe in Lees load book). And didn't crimp enough.

armoredman
November 28, 2006, 10:36 AM
The only pistol failures I have had are due to OAL in my own handloads. As for the others, I don't know - can you get a Mosin TO malfunction?

redneckdan
November 28, 2006, 11:05 AM
only mosin failure I've seen was a lodge bullet in a dirty throat. The guy never cleanedit, took it deer hunting and at the end of the day tried to eject the chambered round, bullet pulled from the case.

I haven't had much positive experience with the SIG 'skeeters. The two I've worked with would not cycle reliably, even with everything from standard velocity to hyper velocity ammo.

Walkalong
November 28, 2006, 11:45 AM
I voted NO - Any truthfull soul would. Unless, of course,they sell everthing they ever get that is not 100% reliable and some may.

Excluding revolvers, I have two 1911's that I consider 100% reliable and 1 XD SC .40 that is on it's way to being considered 100%. It's never failed yet, just not enough rounds and not enough variety shot through it yet.

Savor the ones that never fail. Don't make excuses for the ones that do.

51Cards
November 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
Sig 229, never even twitched, approx. 5-6000 rds :) :)
Springfield XD-9 SC, never twitched, approx. 4000 rds :) :)
Springfield GI Stainless, twitched at first, now only every few hundred, 2000 rds :) :)
Ruger Mk III (Hunter/Target), FTE three timeswhen new, approx. 5000 rds:) :)
Kel-Tec P-3AT, FTeverything at first, "factorized," now no twitch in 300 rds:)
Colt Defender, refuses to be consistent with a couple of HPs, restricted diet, 800 rds :mad: :banghead: :cuss:
Colt M1911A1, ca 1943 by Colt, no longer fired, but never missed during several hundred rds I have fired
High Standard "B," no longer fired, but never missed during several hundred rds I have fired

Sig, SA XD: 100% Any ammo (except steel, never use it), any time. Clean, dirty (well, they never get too dirty), any mags. Anything, Always.

Mk III: I seem to have lucked out with this one. The only stuff that won't feed is Eley Tenex, and considering the nose shape, that wasn't exactly a shock. I have had none of the issues posted variously on THR. :)

KT P-3AT: At first, I thought those people were quite, quite insane. :cuss: I mean, it looked like a pistol, and cost almost what a pistol might, and smelled like a pistol, and held what a pistol generally holds. It tried to break my wrist and thumb by not coming out of battery on time, then would FTE-FTF-FTE-FTE. It went back, got a new slide and a nice little F&B, and is now more as dependable as an only- slightly rational person might expect; which is to say, As good as it gets.

ZeSpectre
November 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
I have several guns that have demonstrated reliability over 700+ rounds. However I have a couple (Ruger 22/45 MK III and one of my two Taurus Gaucho SAA pistols) that I would term "fussy". The Ruger is improving with break in, the Taurus does a light strike on the primer at totally random and widely spaced intervals.

I'd imagine that my SKS is pretty reliable too though I've only got about 100 rounds through it so far :neener:

.357 magnum
November 28, 2006, 12:02 PM
My two Taurus 24/7 Pro's .40 cal they are both into the thousand's of rounds with no FTF. My two Springfield XD .45acp are also into the + 3000 rounds no FTF. I think with modern firearms such as these, a malfunction should be rare. Now I am rather picky, as I clean my gun's after each trip to the range whether I shoot 100 rounds or several hundred rounds. Most range trips I will average 300 rounds. Since I may have to rely on any one of these in a SD situation. I think they should always be practiced with and cleaned on a regular basis.

Skywarp
November 28, 2006, 02:32 PM
I used to be one of those guys that cleaned my guns after 20 rounds through them.

Half a box and I'd have my guns ripped apart and the house stinking of hoppes #9.

Now, my benelli doesnt know what gun cleaner is. she's been cleaned twice and has nearly 50+ cases through her. I clean the chokes and thats about it.]

My main issue is I buy in my opinion quality guns from big name manufacturers. they should work. I realize every gun has a break in period. Mine were broken in then I started to beat on them. I understand there are ammo problems and mag problems but those are easy. When you have to polish feed ramps, adjust springs (for shooting caliber standard ammo), or in any other way modify a gun to make it work well I think it's a failure.

I believe I can honestly say my guns are guns i could trust my life with for CCW. Two of the sigs got the mud puddle treatment and were left like that for a few days while I shot up the desert. Why? Why not? it should function dirty in my opinion.

I was going to buy a Kimber my buddy was selling for cheap. He needed money and I wanted a new gun. That gun would just not function after 150 rounds. you would get erratic failures to return to battery unless you cleaned it. Wonderful trigger and pointed like a dream but that bothered me so much I turned it down. Kimber would have probably taken care of it but it bothered me so i walked away.

Im just picky.

hexidismal
November 28, 2006, 02:39 PM
A better question might have been, "Do you feel you can trust your life to the reliability of your firearm", or something along those lines. As the question is, no one can intelligently and without ego answer yes ( although it seems at least half of members seem to have felt that they could ). It doesn't matter if a firearm has been fully reliable thus far, because it will not always remain so. Parts wear and break in all machines. No firearm can ever be 100% reliable.

Anna's Dad
November 28, 2006, 02:42 PM
Nothing is 100% forever! So far, I would say (with the exception of a cheap little junker gun I bought mostly out of curiosity) my guns are 99.9+% reliable.

I have:
Ruger P-345 -- Exactly one jam (first mag) out of many hundreds of rounds
Sig Trailside -- A handful of jams out of probably many hundreds of rounds
Browning Buckmark -- A handful jams out of hundreds of rounds
Kel-Tec P-32 -- Zero failures after two hundred or so rounds
Beretta Tomcat INOX -- One or two jams out of a few hundred rounds
Springfield XD9 -- Zero, maybe one jam for me -- dozens for my wife (her grip)

I have a Sig 226 (used), a Bulgarian Makarov (used) and a Walther P99 that I haven't fired yet, so they're 100% :D

Ed Ames
November 28, 2006, 02:44 PM
Gravity appears to be 100% reliable... I can't think of much else that comes close to qualifying. So I said no. However, I have quite a few that have never malfunctioned. They may have misfired (which can be bad ammo) but not malfunctioned.

dasmi
November 28, 2006, 02:53 PM
Bulgarian Makarov: Never had a failure, about 700 rounds through it.
Mosin-Nagant 91/30: No failures, don't know how many rounds. EDIT: Sometimes Czech surplus ammo will get stuck in the chamber. Very rare, though, and easy to fix. Just smack the bolt handle hard with a piece of wood.
Mosin-Nagant M44: Same as the 91/30
Mossberg 500A: No failures, 300 rounds.
Mossberg Plinkster 702: Thousands of rounds, fails when too dirty, fails when too clean.
Yugo SKS: Currently not cycling due to gas system issues. I hope it'll be very reliable once I get it running right.

Lancel
November 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yes,
If a firearm is not reliable then I repair or replace it.

My safe queens are simply guns I don't often use: like some of the wrenches in my tool box or some reloading dies.

Larry

Majic
November 28, 2006, 05:45 PM
Not even that. Tip breakage certainly happens in knife combat as well as issues with dull/chipped edges.
A broken tip, dull or chipped edges still doesn't make a knife non-functional. It's efficency may not be as good, but it will still function. Even the common household butter knife can be a deadly weapon.
Even if you completely break the blade off a good fighting knife the handle is still a blunt instrument you can use to hit with. You can also pick up the broken blade and continue to use it.
Would you really throw your knife away while in a fight just because the tip broke or the edge got chipped?

Geno
November 28, 2006, 05:51 PM
Yes only because I sell the unreliable ones after permitting break-in time.

Doc2005

CornCod
November 28, 2006, 05:56 PM
My Hi-Power has a stovepipe about every 5,000 rounds. This is not 100%. Should I ditch it?

MS .45
November 28, 2006, 06:02 PM
The only problem I have had is feeding SWC thru my Springfield 1911. It does not like them.

benelli12
November 28, 2006, 06:03 PM
strikefire,
that ruger is pretty cool....

CZ52GUY
November 28, 2006, 06:05 PM
There are those guns which have HAD a failure in action and those that will someday (assuming you continue to shoot them). None are 100%. Some have a lower failure rate than others, obviously...the lower the better.

That is why we learn to practice clearing malf's. They're going to happen. The most impressive shooting display I've seen in person is somebody who had a malf' in his Glock while engaging a disappearing moving target traveling down a ramp at a pretty good clip...he cleared the malf' and put 4 in down zero that you could cover with your palm...his splits were somewhere between .15-.20.

Ammo' is a common culprit, worn parts can induce issues also. All my guns are set up to be and maintained in a manner to be as reliable as possible, I load most of my own ammo', and even as careful as I am, sometimes a round will induce a malf'.

So...if you're weapon is 100% now, be prepared for the day when Murphy knocks on your door...he's coming eventually, the only way to keep a perfect record for any given firearm is to retire it...it's the way of things.

Safe shooting,

CZ52'

gbelleh
November 28, 2006, 06:23 PM
I have many different guns for many different purposes. I have several that I trust for defensive purposes, but others are seldom or never fired. Others are only fired at the range and may or may not be 100% reliable. All my guns get thorough cleanings after each range session. I can't stand to leave a gun dirty.

pablo45
November 28, 2006, 06:56 PM
Got a Glock 22 with over 100,000 round's now and i have never had one problem with it. My Glock 19 is soon approaching that amount as well. My hk uspc has close to 20,000 round's and only one stove pipe. All my sig's just under 10,000 and not a problem. The only gun i ever had a problem with was my xd first 200 round's in it had a few failure's to feed and a few stove pipe's that is why it no longer remain's in my collection.

Dr.Rob
November 28, 2006, 07:07 PM
No... I have guns that I trust, and 'range toys'.

My Colt .25 has never jammed on me, but I doubt I'd ever carry it 'seriously.'

My PA-63 has never jammed, but I really don't think I shoot it that much. I also don't look highly on the .380 as cartridge I'd totally trust my life to.

I've got a Luger that is finicky, a custom DA 1911 that really has no business in IDPA (but still neat).

And some uber reliable revolvers (though I bound up a Colt 1917 with poorly re-sized brass) and some autos that I shoot a lot.

Bottom line, you use them for any length of time they will jam/fail, even your favorites. Train for it. Keep your weapons in good working order.

TripleL
November 28, 2006, 07:24 PM
The firearm is just a club without the ammo. Is your ammo equally as reliable? Can you trust your CCW load if you use a different ammo at the range? :banghead:

10-Ring
November 28, 2006, 09:09 PM
100% I would say more like 98.9999999999% reliable. I have had most of my reliability issues w/ my 22lr semi autos and my semi custom 1911...but even those are few & far between over 1000's & 1000's of rounds :D
Between my HK's, Glocks, Berettas, Brownings, S&W & Colt wheelguns, I'm more like 99.99999999998999% reliable - enough to trust my life & the lives of my family w/ them ;)

gandog56
November 28, 2006, 09:50 PM
Now that I got rid of my POS Jam-o-matic Hi-Point .45, yes, I trust all my guns.

the pistolero
November 28, 2006, 09:53 PM
So far, the only guns in my collection I've had problems with were the Springfield GI 1911 and the Kimber Tactical Ultra II; bad extractor on the first, weak mag spring on the second, I took care of those and it's been happy shootin' with both ever since. All my others have been 100% from the time I took 'em out of the box. I've never shot without cleaning afterwards; no doubt at least the Rugers would keep chugging along for hundreds of rounds, but I think it was right here on this forum that I heard the saying "never let the sun set on a dirty gun," and I've adhered to that from the start...

wally
November 28, 2006, 10:19 PM
Nothing is 100% reliable. If you've never broken a gun, you just aren't shooting enough!

--wally.

Cowboybootnut
November 28, 2006, 10:51 PM
Wally took the words out of my mouth. Only birth and death is 100% reliable, except you don't know when. :(

Lancel
November 29, 2006, 12:19 AM
Note that the OP clarified in post #4 what he meant by 100% reliability:"...given reasonable maintenance and care, proper ammunition, and use by an intelligent person..."

But for those looking for perfection, my Kahr PM9 has been an absolutely flawless, 100% perfect, self-defense weapon - because whenever I have carried it, I have not been attacked. :D

aaronrkelly
November 29, 2006, 02:39 AM
I can live with a very occasional malfunction, even in a carry gun.

There are alot of variables when firing a gun. I find it odd that one failure causes people to sell guns. It could be as simple as an underpowered round causing a failure to eject or a slightly out of spec round failing to feed.

For instance I have a KelTec P3AT that fails to extract about 1 ever 100 to 150 rounds. Not a problem....

I also had 1 failure in about 700 rounds out of my Kimber Pro Carry. It was about the third magazine full when I was trying out some McCormick 8 round shooting stars.....went back to my Wilson 7 rounders and no failures since.

Could have been the gun, could have been the magazine, could have been the shooter, could have been the ammunition.....but its mechanical, it happens.

I had a Walther PP that would have atleast 5 to 7 failures per 50 rounds.....that I wont tolerate......gun is gone.

strambo
November 29, 2006, 05:45 AM
For instance I have a KelTec P3AT that fails to extract about 1 ever 100 to 150 rounds. Not a problem....
I aggree, it's all relative. For a .380 pocket gun, I would feel just fine with that performance as well. For a mid-full size primary carry or duty gun I'd want 4-500 rds before any failure.

I disaggree that a well maintained gun with good ammo should be 100%. Shoot it enough and some spring will go "sproinnnng" eventually even if you change the main ones out on a schedule. Also, shooter induced or struggle (Murphy) induced malfunctions can happen in a fight that have nothing to do with the mechanical reliability of the gun.

Mad Magyar
November 29, 2006, 08:22 AM
Until last week, I even thought my Daewoo's would last forever...Didn't notice the hammer pin was coming out while shooting, couldn't find it in the dirt leaving me cursing in the wind....:o
Part on order from Numrich.....

hkusp
November 29, 2006, 12:10 PM
~2 Different HK USP9F's - Both 100% through several thousand rounds - SOLD because I couldn't get comfortable with the grip.

~2 Different CZ SP-01's - Both 100% through several thousand rounds - SOLD because the SW1911 was more fun and they weren't getting shot much.

~HK P7M8 - 100% through about a thousand rounds - SOLD don't remember why.

~Wilson KZ-45 - FTRTB often with 230gr WWB - SOLD

~Bushmaster Bullpup - FTRTB often with XM193 - SOLD

~Steyr M9 - FTE a few times with 115gr WWB - SOLD

~Para Ordnance PX18-9 - FTE often with 115gr WWB - Returned to ParaOrd

~SW1911 - 100% through several thousand rounds - Keeping My all time favorite.

~Ruger MKIII Hunter - 100% through several thousand rounds - Keeping My son's range gun.

~Kel-Tec PLR-16 - 100% through several hundred rounds - Keeping Just a hoot to shoot.

~Kel-Tec P-3AT - 100% through a couple hundred rounds - Keeping Sweet pocket piece.

So my current guns are 100%

ID_shooting
November 29, 2006, 01:23 PM
Reliabilty is a subjective term to me. All the guns I have work to expected levels. By this I mean differnt guns have different expectations. The AK I expect to go for thousands of rounds before stoppage, the P3AT is a whole other story. If it shoots 100 rounds with out needing to be cleaned I am happy and feel the gun performs with 100% reliability.

Correia
November 29, 2006, 01:42 PM
All guns malfunction. All guns break.

If your gun has not malfunctioned, it's because you haven't shot it enough yet.

Northslope Nimrod
November 29, 2006, 02:01 PM
NO.

My BHP is the only handgun I have that has been 100% reliable. The others are more like 99.999997% reliable. They have all had atleast one failure...perhaps due to limp wristing but still a failure. MY BHP has had none, zip, zero. Although I have hit the slide stop on accident when I was experimenting with different grip styles.

CWL
November 29, 2006, 02:17 PM
I collect "firearms" not "weapons", but this doens't mean that they cannot all be used in self-defense situations. I do have "go-to" guns that are more preferable, but even these will never be 100% reliable. Others have already pointed out ammo as a factor, but I also think that the firearm Operator will never be 100% reliable either.

Caimlas
November 29, 2006, 03:00 PM
I don't have too many firearms; I've only got one which is unreliable (USP .40S7W - weird ordeal where magazines will drop out on the last couple rounds on recoil - with mutliple shooters; it's not the shooter's fault), and I'm looking to sell it as a result.

My RRA AR15, Taurus PT111 Pro, Tikka T3 .270, and Yugo SKS have all been 100% reliable (the AR and Taurus I bought new) since I purchased them, and I've put 2500, 500, 150, and 1000 rounds through them, respectively.

The way I figure it, for the price of a firearm - even a relatively inexpensive one ($400 or so) - it should work 99.9% reliably, with concensus for breaking-in woes at the beginning and maybe an early part replacement, for at least 5,000 rounds (with concensus for the magazines failing of malfunctioning, provided it isn't a design problem).

Dr.Rob
November 29, 2006, 05:26 PM
Speaking as someone who has managed to JAM a bolt-action rifle... anything can fail.

Even revolvers. Never had a single action Ruger wheel gun fail for any reason though.

dbracin
November 29, 2006, 05:56 PM
I had to answer no. But, that should actually be " not yet ". If it can't be made 100% I will get rid of it. That being said, I now have one to go and then my answer will be " yes " .

thanks tuner ;)

EdLaver
November 30, 2006, 06:36 PM
The only piece I had in my collection that was a constant jam-boree was a Cobray M-11 9mm. No matter how much I lubed, smoothed, and used different mags, it just kept jamming. I ended up selling it at a pawn shop for $200. I now currently own all the following with a combined 7 jams in all since in my possesion

Magnum Research Baby Eagle Polymer 9mm- 0 malfunctions
Bersa .380 Thunder- 0 malfunctions
S & W M&P .40- O malfunctions
Springfield Armory XD Duty .45 ACP- 2 jams (used reloads, possible reason)
S & W 1911- 0 malfunctions
Glock 29- 0 malfunctions

DPMS AR15 - 3 jams (Ammo Maybe? Mags Maybe?)
Arsensal Arms AK-47 - 2 jams (Ammo Maybe? Mags Maybe?)

Winchester 1300 Defender - 0 mafunctions

Pro_Gun
November 30, 2006, 08:00 PM
I have a Glock 27 and it has jammed twice. My 1911's do so also, oon occasion. No gun is 100% reliable period. IMHO.

Now mean time between failures is another question.

Walkalong
November 30, 2006, 08:04 PM
that I consider 100% reliable

Anything mechanical can obviously fail.
Do I trust my life to it? These are the ones I consider 100% reliable because they have been shot a lot, have not failed, and are still in excellent mechanical shape.

johnsonrlp
November 30, 2006, 08:12 PM
I think I cleaned my 870 once, 20K+ and it's never had a problem I didn't directly induce. Everything else is about normal.

Surefire
November 30, 2006, 08:20 PM
Nothing man-made is 100 percent reliable.

Having said this, my duty pistols have not failed yet (Sigs, Berettas, XD). My range guns (Glocks, Rugers) have a low failure rate, about 1 round every 500 shots.

I expect that as I get into the 10's of thousands of rounds, every single pistol will eventually fail. However, so far, the Sigs, Berettas and XD run the best in my collection.

Working Man
November 30, 2006, 08:30 PM
But not because of beauty. If it is not made to shoot it is of no use to me.

My HKs, Rugers, and even my DE have never had an issue. But hell, I'm not even 100%. :evil:

Do I carry them... sure. Would I trust my life with them... sure. Do I have a plan B... d@mn right.

StrikeEagle
December 1, 2006, 06:39 AM
Speaking as someone who has managed to JAM a bolt-action rifle... anything can fail.

Even revolvers. Never had a single action Ruger wheel gun fail for any reason though.

I've had my Ruger New Model Single Six fail TWICE. Something in it broke and I was unable to cock the hammer. I drove it to the Ruger factory and they fixed it while I waited.

It broke AGAIN... less than a month later, the same way. I took it back, and they fixed it a second time. They reckoned that it was a bad lot of parts. Who knows? This was back when they first changed over to the New Model style.

By the way... I'm ASTOUNDED by all the folks who feel that all their guns are 100% reliable. :)

P-Cat
December 1, 2006, 08:18 PM
I have a Beretta 92FS and a Beretta Cougar both in 9mm. I have never had any kind of failure or malfunction.

Mad Magyar
December 2, 2006, 08:20 AM
"I have a Beretta 92FS and a Beretta Cougar both in 9mm. I have never had any kind of failure or malfunction."
P-Cat, give it some time and lots of firing....Check back in a few years....:)

doncameron
December 2, 2006, 10:33 AM
Of the 3 that I carry, ALL are great!
.38 S & W J frame.....Light, easy to conceal, accurate
.380 Llama.....older model (rebuilt by me) 8+1 about like the J frame
.45 EAA witness.....bigger, heavier,winter gun

ZXD9
December 2, 2006, 10:57 AM
With the 2 semi-autos, 1 revolver, 3 rifles I have now I would expect any of them to come through for me when I need it. These guns have anywhere from 196 rounds through the revolver to 10044 rounds through the XD9. I trust them all at this point.

Cousin Mike
December 2, 2006, 04:45 PM
Beretta Cougar 8000: 100% through about 2000 rounds. Sometimes carry gun, fiancee's side nightstand gun.

Sig P220: Somewhere between 7-8k rounds this year. 100% so far. Winter carry piece.

Sig Pro 2340: Around 2k rounds this year... 100% so far. All year carry piece.

Taurus 608: Around 1k rounds this year... 100% so far. Very seldom carried, range gun, HD gun.

Colt Official Police (1962): Needs a trip to the gunsmith.. Knocked off timing in under 500 rounds, having trigger issues. Bought it on impulse, looking to get rid of it (possibly).

Ruger MK II: It's a .22 rimfire... Need I say more? :D It works well enough, but you'll get a few failures from a 500 rd. box of ammo. Strictly a range plinker.

Auto Ordnance G.I. 1911: Surprisingly, it's about 99.95% reliable. Accurate as well. Blazer ammo w/aluminum case jammed it up pretty good when I first got it. Other than those two FTE's, no issues I can recall in over 2k rounds. Carry it on seldom occasion.

Considering all the important guns function at about 100% to date, I think I'm alright... My answer to the poll? No.

ronto
December 2, 2006, 04:50 PM
50+ year old Savage/Stevens 12ga. pump = 100%
Revolvers = 100%
22LR semi-auto pistol = Not even close to 100%

kbheiner7
December 2, 2006, 05:01 PM
To those that answered "Yes 100%" - you don't shoot enough. ;)

SoCalShooter
December 2, 2006, 05:11 PM
Well going based on the thread then yes all my weapons are 100% reliable but I do expect a failure by any of them at some point.

Redneck with a 40
December 2, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'd say mine are 100% reliable, I definitely feel comfortable depending on them for personal protection. Springfield XD 40 = 1200 rds fired, ZERO malfunctions. Taurus Mil-Pro 40 = 1000 rounds fired, ZERO malfunctions. I do a simple bore and action cleaning after every range session. After about every 300 rounds, I field strip them and clean them completely. My guns have yet to let me down.:D

starbuck
December 2, 2006, 05:41 PM
I dont think any gun is 100% reliable.
Here's the luck I've had with the few that I've owned:
Taurus PT24/7 Pro 9mm 800 rounds, 10-15 jams
HK USP9 500 rounds 1 jam
Beretta 96 Inox - 750 rounds 0 malfunctions
Beretta 92FS Inox 1,500+ rounds 1 misfire ( i blame the primer and not the gun )
Beretta M9 - 700 rounds, 0 malfunctions

I've had pretty good luck with Beretta, and trust mine with my life.

wuluf
December 2, 2006, 05:52 PM
of the 6 handguns i own, 5 are completely reliable. My 1907 Savage pocket pistol in .380 jams all the time, but parts are expensive and hard to find! I still ejoy shooting it from time to time...

Pro_Gun
December 2, 2006, 06:10 PM
unreliable talk has me thinking I need to carry a BUG. :confused:

brownie0486
December 2, 2006, 06:21 PM
I voted no as well.

My g17 first gen has had 3 FTE's in 65,000+ rds through it. It will run well over 4K without need of cleaning and still perform at that. It's the training gun now for students who regularly put 1K a day for days through it without any issues.

My 3rd gen g17 runs as well, no Malfs in 5K+ since owning it.

My SA 1911 from 1982 will run 2K+ without malfs, and always has since I had Don Hamilton build it for reliability when new. I has 35k+ through it, maybe 50 Malfs since 82, usually through letting it get dirty enough to malf. It's never malf'ed when cleaned, lubed and greased for the street to well over 1K are through it.

My S+W 65 revo has been 100% reliable since 1980, but I expect that until a part breaks.

My HKP7m8's have been very reliable when I had them. So have the sig 226's and 228's. NOne of these have had any malf's while I owned them but they got cleaned regularly as they were street guns.

Brownie

RLT
December 2, 2006, 07:45 PM
NO!

I must have shot too much! Over the years I've had firing pins break, springs break and extractors break.

That's why I always tell people to be sure they have a option B planned. It can happen at any time and with no warning.

gandog56
December 2, 2006, 10:34 PM
but I think it was right here on this forum that I heard the saying "never let the sun set on a dirty gun,

Hard to do when it's winter and the range I frequent on Sundays closes at 4PM;)

tango3065
December 2, 2006, 10:46 PM
They are as of today since I trades my last ever Taurus in on a NIB S&W 642.

starshooter231
December 4, 2006, 12:10 AM
but, Yes my carry guns are 100% reliable. I don't have safe queens I have range guns.

Carry Guns:

Kel-Tec P11 over 1000rds no problems (Had since Oct.)
XD9 over 800rds no problems (Got on Nov. 25)

Range Guns:

Hi-Point C9 over 800rds w/10ftl
Hi-Point JCP over 900rds w/3ftl

twinhairdryers
January 13, 2007, 02:31 AM
Here is my tally:

Glock 17 8500 rounds, 4 FTF's (due to ammo cases or light powder), so ZERO true

Glock 22 4400 rounds, 2 FTE's

EAA Witness Compact .45 (about 1 FTF every 300 rounds) 2500 rounds total

Taurus PT-145 (1 light strike every 20 rounds - twice back to the factory) NOW SOLD POS

Colt Series 80 Commanders 45 (7 FTF's - 9800 rounds) Not bad for a gun older than I am

S&W M4516 45ACP Stainless (10 FTF's 1600 rounds)

Polish P-64 LEO Issue (2 FTF's - 1800 rounds)

Jennings J-22 (1 FTF every 3 rounds avg)

Sterling S22 (1 FTF every 5 rounds avg)

Hi-Point C-9 (12 FTF's 900 rounds) Not bad for a 150 dollar POS

Sigarms Hammerli Trailside (2 FTE's 5000 rounds) no fair counting inferior ammo

Berretta Neos 22LR (0 failures 4400 rounds)

Phoenix Arms HP22 (4 light strikes 3900 rounds)

Kel-Tec P11 (2 FTF's 4900 rounds) not bad for a 200 gun - my carry now

Bushmaster Carbon15 M4 (12 FTFs 9200 rounds)

Kel-Tec P3-AT .380 (5 FTE's 2200 rounds)

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 Glock chambered (16 FTE's 1700 rounds) some russian steele ammo

EAA Saiga-12 - Russian AK 12 Gauge (7 FTE's with high brass slugs 24 FTE's with high brass shot shells - 3800 rounds)

Kel-Tec PLR-16 - (16 FTE's 2000 rounds)

longeyes
January 13, 2007, 02:53 AM
Of my semi-auto pistols two have never had a bobble of any kind: Glock 30, about 3,000 rounds fired; Glock 17 (first gen, factory refurb), about 1,000 rounds fired.

wooderson
January 13, 2007, 02:58 AM
I've only had one pistol with feeding issues, a PPK/S. Ended up selling it less for those issues than it simply wasn't much fun to shoot. Everything else has been flawless - anywhere from 100 rounds (new Buck Mark) on up to about 1500. Every time I read about someone with reliability issues I knock on wood and give money to the homeless, hopefully keeping my karma in balance.

If I ever want a James Bond gun again, I'm getting it in Airsoft.

Stachie
January 13, 2007, 03:26 AM
Not 100%

mattw
January 13, 2007, 03:51 AM
A one month thread dug up and no one complains because its a decent topic. I love THR.

Nothing man made is 100% reliable, stop lieing to yourselves!

The Lone Haranguer
January 13, 2007, 04:39 AM
Around these forums I see people refer lovingly to their “safe queens” or “range machines” and it makes me stop and wonder.
This is not necessarily because the firearm is unreliable. I have handguns that I call "working" guns, i.e., used for CCW/self-defense. (If I were a hunter I would add hunting weapons to this category.) I shoot them regularly, insist they be reliable, won't use or carry them if they aren't, and if they aren't I will repair or replace them. Then there are my "pretty" guns, i.e., collectible firearms, which are in good condition but which I don't shoot regularly. A couple of my "pretty" guns need repair, one of them fairly extensive. But I don't use these for self defense. I have still other defensive weapons that are reliable, but either don't fit the niche I envisioned for them or have been eclipsed by newer technology, so they get little use. All but my regularly used defensive weapons fit the definition of "safe queen."

Mat, not doormat
January 13, 2007, 07:11 AM
I've got one safe queen. It's a K-38 Target Materpiece, inheritied from my granddad. As it's in 99% condition, I'd just as soon it stayed that way. I have shot it quite a bit, but then decided that with old smiths being cheap, the heirloom should maybe stay pretty, while others get shot, carried, what have you. It never malfunctioned, though.

I've had zero malfunctions out of the group of my guns that I consider carry guns.

PT1911: 933 rds since 12-23-06. New primary.
Kel Tec P32: 1700 rds since 6-14-02. BUG
S&W Model 10-3. 8900 rds since 5-22-01

Then there are my competition guns. cowboy action, specifically. I've had two parts breakages, and a couple of tied up cylinders due to improperly seated primers. One factory shotgun shell that failed to fire. But, that's par for the course, when you shoot that much, that fast, etc.

I've also got a few that just can't be expected to be glock reliable. 1847 Walker Colt replica is a fine example. Great fun to shoot, but reliable? It's a percussion fired black powder revolver! For a cap and ball gun of original design to work right, a whole lot of things have to go VERY right. Things that often don't.

McCall911
January 13, 2007, 07:25 AM
Well, they are 100 percent reliable until they break! :uhoh:

Fun2Shoot
January 13, 2007, 07:38 AM
Since I don't have any safe queens and any or all of my handguns may be called upon to defend myself or family, then yes, all my guns are 100% reliable or they get repaired or sold!

Now let me qualify "100% reliable".

Since any gun can have at least one malfunction once in a very great while, I define 'realistic' 100% as one failure after and then in between 500 and 1000 rds of use. Beyond that, I have had several guns with more than 1K rds down range with zero issues, but I will accept one issue per 1K rds after break-in and still trust the gun for my life.

M14fan
January 13, 2007, 11:02 AM
I voted yes but as we all know, anything mechanical can malfunction. I do keep only firearms I feel I can trust my life to.

possum
January 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
i have been lucky and never have owned a jamomatic weapon of any kind. i am very happy with my collection and they are very very reliable.
xd service model .40 to date 4085rds
xdsc model .40 to date 754rds
kahr k-40 600rds
none have had any issues of any kind they are reliable as all get out and don't slow down no matter what. i lke it that way!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Are All Your Weapons 100% Reliable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!