Glock 19 or Beretta 90-two...need help

PDA

nik1923
November 28, 2006, 11:37 AM
Hi! New here and need some help.

I'm looking to get my husband a new hand gun for his birthday in a few weeks and have narrowed it down to either the Glock 19 or Beretta 90-two. What are your opinions about these two? Pros/cons? Reliability? I've done some research online and have heard the sales pitch from various stores but I'd really like to hear from people that have used/own one or both of these machines.

Thanks! ;)
-Nikki

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 19 or Beretta 90-two...need help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jkomp316
November 28, 2006, 11:42 AM
If the Beretta fits your hand, go for it. Glock 19s are everywhere used for $375.

Waywatcher
November 28, 2006, 01:05 PM
Get the Glock 19.
Cheaper magazines, tons of available holsters and accessories, and taking it apart and putting it back together is so easy a caveman could do it. The gun is smaller, slimmer and lighter but still carries the same amount of 9mm. The abuse Glocks can take and keep running is quite phenomenal.

A friend of mine who used (yes, used :uhoh: ) his Beretta 92 in Iraq came home and bought a Glock 9mm, for what its worth.

das028
November 28, 2006, 01:11 PM
I know that if I had to choose I would take the Glock. But I dont think you can go wrong with either

C-grunt
November 28, 2006, 01:20 PM
Both are exceptional weapons. The Glock is smaller, slimmer, probably more robust, and holds 15 rounds. The Beretta is a large pistol, arguably looks better, and is able to fire in single action which can improve accuracy. What does he have now? The Glock would be a better carry gun and, in my opinion, the Beretta would be a better range and home defense gun.

As for reliability, the Glock probably wins that one. Thats not to say that the Beretta is unreliable. Its like saying this Ferrari is faster that this Corvette Z06. It is but not by much.

Marko Kloos
November 28, 2006, 02:14 PM
so easy a caveman could do it.

Okay, first of all, I'm not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now. :D

The 90-Two is a very tarted up 92FS with a funky new slide design and replaceable grip backstraps. The basic design underneath all the frill is highly reliable, and the 92-series pistols are probably the easiest 9mm handguns to shoot.

The Glock 19 is a tough no-frills self-defense appliance. For carry, it beats the 92-series because of lower weight and smaller size with equal capacity, and it also stands up to sweat and abuse a little better.

In the end, it depends on the purpose of the gun, and what sort of operating system the new owner likes...constant trigger pull (Glock), or traditional double/single action (Beretta). As a range toy and/or home defense gun, the Beretta would be my pick. For carry, the Glock probably has an edge just because of size and weight.

nik1923
November 28, 2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm still torn between which to get. I may have to go back to the shop and fondle them both a little more. I really liked the way the Beretta fit my grip but it's not for me...Other than that I didn't really prefer one over the other.
It will mostly be for range shooting, home protection and something he'll carry when we camp.
Right now he doesn't have a hand gun, he has a couple rifles for hunting but he sold both his 9mm and .40 about 6 years ago to buy my engagement ring (now is that love or what?!). I think they were both Berettas but not totally sure, that was before I was into shooting with him.

I'd love to hear from anyone else willing to voice an opinion!
-Nikki

dasmi
November 28, 2006, 02:28 PM
so easy a caveman could do it.
Yeah, next time maybe do a little research.

Personally, I'd go with the Glock, because I've shot both, and I like them better. But, to each his own.

DoubleTap007
November 28, 2006, 03:49 PM
You should really try to find out what he had. If he had Beretta's then that would probably be what fits him best.

I'm sure alot of us can relate to that 1 gun (or more) we had and sold and miss it much.

GunNut
November 28, 2006, 03:53 PM
You're probably going to have to drop some hints to see where his interest is.

It would be a shame to buy him the wrong one, he'll feel like he has to keep it even though it's not liked.

Or even better yet, how about take him to the gun store on his birthday and let him pick....:D

What husband wouldn't love having his wife drag him off to the gun store to buy him a gun?

Steve

HMMurdock
November 28, 2006, 04:08 PM
I've owned both and although the Berette 92 is a wonderful sidearm, I found that the Glock performed better in all catagories-- except sex appeal.

The beretta sure is pretty and feels comfortable, but the Glock is --in my experience-- slightly more accurate, slightly more reliable, slightly easier to carry and slightly easier to find accessories for.

You can't go wrong with either, but if my experience comes down to anything I'd say go for the Glock. And I've known plenty of military grunts who've depended their lives on the Berette 92 that have come home to buy Glocks. Very few die-hard Beretta fans amongst my veteran associates...

TRL

anotherinkling
November 28, 2006, 04:22 PM
For plinking or recreational use, I'd go for the Beretta. I shoot them better and find they're more comfortable in my hands.

If, however, your husband can carry concealed or plans to in the future, the Glock's much better suited for that use due its slimness and light weight.

Unless he already has several handguns, I suspect he'll be delighted with either one.

md7
November 28, 2006, 04:31 PM
berettas are nice, but i prefer my glock. either is a pretty good choice though.

grampster
November 28, 2006, 04:36 PM
I've owned a Glock 27. I have a Beretta mod 96, 9000S, a Tomcat and a Minx.

The Glock was very nice to shoot, accurate and reliable. I never liked the trigger mechanism. Still don't.

The 9000 is top heavy and unwieldy. The 96, of course is a large pistol. The Tomcat and Minx are mouses guns. I like the decocker mechanism and the ambidextrous safety as well as the DA/SA systems.

My handgun of choice for ccw and home protection is a Walther P99 in 9mm. It feels good in the hand, good balance, is not oversized, shoots well, accurate and reliable. I like the trigger pull in DA. It has a decocker device that is nice. It gives one the same confidence re accidental discharge that one gets carrying a revolver. I'd have it in .40S&W except that I was able to purchase the 9mm at terrific price from a friend that needed some cash.

ndh87
November 28, 2006, 04:48 PM
The grips on the Glock 19 always seemed a little short to me, i think i'd have to go to the 90 two

lawandorder
November 28, 2006, 06:09 PM
The Glock.

10-Ring
November 28, 2006, 08:28 PM
I've only been able to fondle a 90-two, but I really like way the grip feels and if it shoots as well as the 92fs' I have, she should be a great shooter. Between the 2, I'd go w/ the Beretta 1st and get the G19 down the road ;)

BITZ 642
November 28, 2006, 08:41 PM
Glock 100% for reliability and durability. I own a Glock 17 for home defense with my AR and carry a Glock 26 as CCW. The only disadvantage is getting use to a gun that has no external thumb safety besides your trigger finger. Though it sounds like he is very well experienced with guns..Glock shouldn't be an issue..Good Luck and buy a Glock.

Gator
November 28, 2006, 10:55 PM
I had a Beretta 92, it was nice enough but way too big for a 9mm IMO. I currently have a Glock 19 and like it very much.

Good luck with your choice, but I'm sure the lucky guy will be happy with whatever you give him :)

shu
November 30, 2006, 06:00 AM
I'm a glock guy, but i do have a berretta 92fs. The 92fs fits my hand better than the glocks, but i carry a glock (as several responders have likewise indicated).

I'll go with the thought that if he had berrettas before, then get him the berretta; if he wants to carry he can get a g-26 later. Or, as suggested, take him to the store and let him pick.

Nail Shooter
November 30, 2006, 08:53 AM
Although they are both good guns, nothing really is in the same class as the G19 for what it costs and can do. You mentioned it would be carried as a camping gun, then I'd get one with night sights. You will not wear out a Glock in your lifetime and the finish on it takes a lot of abuse. Happy shooting to you! Regards,

NS

BerrettaGirl
July 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
I prefer my Berrettas. I have a 92 for home and target use, a Cheetah (.380) and a Tomcat for CC permit use. I just love Berrettas because they fit my small hands very well and I can shoot and enjoy shooting them.
I had hope the .380 would be my carry weapon, but it just does not feel right in my carry vest when I am riding my Harley. So I recently purchased the Tomcat and I love it!!!

To the Glock lovers, the Glock may be better, but I've never fired one, and I got VERY used to the Berretta 92 over 20 years in the Marines. After fighting with the .45, I finally went to Expert when I started shooting the 92. Perhaps one day I'll try a Glock, but I have yet to see one as pretty as my Berretta....(smle)....Just Kidding....

WutUpGeez
July 27, 2009, 12:32 PM
You're new so you probably didn't realize that you brought a 3 year old thread back to life...

Bass Killer
July 27, 2009, 08:16 PM
Home defense, G19. Target shooting go beretta

jocko
July 27, 2009, 08:40 PM
hell buy um both..

Surefire
July 27, 2009, 08:50 PM
I have a Glock 19 and Beretta 92 (although I don't have the 90-Two model you specifically ask about).

The regular metal Beretta 92 is a great shooter, but for me is a tad hard to line up for reassembly-- more so than the Glock 19. My biggest issue with the 92 is the terrible trigger on mine--double action is long and VERY HEAVY, and single-action feels like a BHP (heavy and inconsistent). Having said this, my 92 is accurate and perfectly reliable.

My Glock 19 I can disasemble/reassemble almost by feel, and have been reliable with average accuracy. It is also slimmer and more efficient (size to caliber ratio).

I would give the nod to the Glock 19.

sokygunner
July 27, 2009, 09:28 PM
Have had both, the beretta is nice but is big and has its quirks such as if you have to rack the slide in a hurry to do a reload or clear a malfunction, about 1 out of every 3 times you may accidently push the safety back on the beretta and activate the decocker and put the gun on Safe when you really don't want to...and I mean when you REALLY don't want to. Its a matter of the safety being mounted on the slide and being activated by pulling it down/back towards you. Your hand going over the top of the slide to yank it back can sometimes hit the safety. The glock doesn't do this, no safety or decocker. If a person likes 1911s then they will like the grip angle and site picture of a beretta. The glock has a grip angle and site picture all it's own. But still very natural feeling and quick to find the sites. Glock probably has the reliability award over the beretta, but unless you are actually trying to do a torture test on the gun you probably won't ever find the difference. The beretta has been known to break a firing pin if it is dry fired without a snap cap in it, the glock doesn't care. Glock has great customer service and if for some reason it isn't right, they will make it right some way some how. Not going to conceal the beretta very easily, the glock is better at that and with a good holster can disappear under a t-shirt in the summer time.

WutUpGeez
July 28, 2009, 12:42 AM
Have you guys checked the date on this thread?

sarduy
July 28, 2009, 05:12 AM
just rent a movie...."Blood Diamond" where they use handguns... as soon as the first shooting scene start ask your husband

"if that was you...what would you want? a Glock or Beretta?

that way he can pick for you ;)

sarduy
July 28, 2009, 05:14 AM
Have you guys checked the date on this thread?

:what::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:p

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 19 or Beretta 90-two...need help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!