1911 (or similar) parts kits?

PDA

Nick1911
November 28, 2006, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know where I can get cheap 1911 or similar full-size handgun parts kits for not a lot of money? All I've seen are $275-350, which seems really high considering I can get an AK parts kit for $100.

Is there any foreign countries importing 1911 parts or similar full size handgun parts kits?

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 (or similar) parts kits?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
November 28, 2006, 02:38 PM
Why do you want a parts kit?

There are plenty of cheap handguns available that you can tinker with.

I'm sure that you could by a slide, barrel, etc. cheap at a gun show and start accumulating the parts.

Steve

yodar
November 28, 2006, 05:36 PM
Naaah ! That's alousy attitude if your are wanting to get into 1911 as a serious project with a strict budget.

I got an ARMSCOR slide and frame from SGN for less than $20. I picked up parts here and there from friends, and junk boxes, at shows from Amherst-Depot.com and sarco and assembled and nice 45 for cheap. I also picked up a doublestart frame at a show and I see Centerfire systems is selling them. They are excellent drop in frames.

SARCO even has Rock islands ready to go in the box for $309.0

All good ways to get a shooting 1911 and to learn all obout how to put one together in the experience.

Yodar

noresttill
November 28, 2006, 07:58 PM
SGN? How long ago was this?

Jesse

yodar
November 28, 2006, 08:05 PM
several times a month. Regular offers from those vendors

Nick1911
November 29, 2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the information.

Why do you want a parts kit?

I'm looking to put together a 1911 by completing an 80% receiver and basing the project on that. I wouldn't mind machining out the slide, however I haven't found any 1911 slide casting for sale.

I figure a parts kit is the easy way to go, since it will include all the springs, hardened steel catches and whatnot.

I got an ARMSCOR slide and frame from SGN for less than $20.

Do they classifieds online?

Thanks!

yodar
November 29, 2006, 10:56 AM
Sarco had kits for a while. Now I believe just slide kit. Just get the slides and frames ftrom either SARCO (They have an investment cast Colt slide needing finisihing machining for a good price)

You dont need a kit, just a good book on the 1911 and how it is set up and assembled. Kuhnhausen is excellent but overkill. Even the Gummint FM-22-25 on the 1911 is excellent.

I use a district depot support manual TM-9-1005-211-34

After you get the slide and the frame you are talking about parts that you can scrounge from friends, listmemmbers, shows or (Gawd forbid! RETAIL:Sarco and the other sources I outlined)

Getting a kit keeps you from LEARNING what the parts ARE, what they are FOR, and where they GO, and HOW they must be installed.

Many of my parts I got from members of the curio & Relics collectors list with whom I have been a participant for almost a decade.

THE FIRST STEP IS TO GET THAT ARMY TM-22-25 1911 pistol manual

Dont make such a big deal of it, you doan need no steenking kit! Just start SCROUNGING ! It's fun!

Get back to me I even have some stuff published on CD from surplusrifles.com
http://www.surplusrifle.com/CDROM/index.asp#BRAND_NEW_FOR_2006

yodar

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 (or similar) parts kits?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!