SIG Help Please

PDA

falnovice
November 28, 2006, 08:49 PM
Looking for a little advice here. I was looking to add another XD to my collection today when I stumbled upon a SIG 226. While my dealer didn't have the XD I wanted I left thinking about the SIG. I have never even handled one before. How do they compare against other pistols....XD, Glock and so forth. I really love my Hi Power and am currently searching for a MKIII 9mm to add, but this SIG may hold me over for a while.
Any thoughts or reviews would be helpful....I did a search but most hits led me to the sig forum and I really think that may not be the best place for an objective response about SIGs.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot I have never posted here before. I am a long time lurker.
Also, the I chose the name falnovice a few years ago when I first got on the net, when I joined the Fal forums. Now I use it eveywhere just to keep things simple.

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG Help Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DerekF
November 28, 2006, 09:02 PM
This is not going to be a very objective post because I love Sigs. The 226 is one of my favorite and most accurate pistols. I love Sigs in general because they fit my hand really nicely, the ergonomics are excellent, they're very easy to take down and maintain, and I've never had problems with any Sigs I own. The trigger is very nice in both double-action and single-action.

The downside for some people is that the decocking lever is often mistaken for the slide release but it just takes some getting used to. Also, the Sig compacts are not really all that compact.

Compared to other pistols like Glocks and the XD, a Sig would be considerably heavier due to the alloy frame. But personally, I would take a Sig over a Glock or XD any day. I find Sigs have better pointability and accuracy is excellent.

hksw
November 28, 2006, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the forum noobs.

The P226 is the non-full blown target gun that fits my hand the best and one I like to shoot (for centerfires) the most. Very accurate too, at least my samples. I do prefer the previous generation grips than the current ones.

Dollar An Hour
November 28, 2006, 10:40 PM
+1 to DerekF's post.

Sigs have a great 'heft' to them, they fit the hand well for me. DA/SA triggers tend to be excellent also. Easy to field strip, and very accurate.

For some folks, a negative could be the long trigger reset, but to others it doesn't matter.

Heck, the P226 is good enough for Navy SEALs! :cool:

falnovice
November 29, 2006, 12:00 AM
How is the grip? I like the XD's and 1911's and love the HP. I hate glock grips, and anything else that is "chunky". Thanks for the help on this, I'll have to go back and handle one a bit.

mosttoyswins
November 29, 2006, 12:15 AM
GET IT! I added a set of Hogue wraparounds and the gun melts into my hand. It is the most accurate fullsize 9mm I have ever shot.

It is the one gun in my collection I will NEVER sell.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/jstaudt/IMG_0985.jpg

silversport
November 29, 2006, 12:28 AM
enjoyed by Navy SeALs and even some of us "regular" folks...nice pistol.
Bill

DerekF
November 29, 2006, 04:41 AM
The grip is perfect for my medium-sized hands. I'm one of the lucky ones who is able to fit most any pistol grip in my hand. I can get an ideal grip without my fingers jamming into any of the control levers. Of course, YMMV.

Th Glock grip is bigger but is not a problem to handle. I prefer the XD grip over the Glock. But I still prefer the Sig grips. Try handling the P225 - the grip on that one is just about perfect.

strambo
November 29, 2006, 05:59 AM
I like the P226 and P220 grips better than Glocks. They point well for me, I like 1911's too.

The "heft" isn't that bad, it is still an alloy frame. Off hand I think empty weight for 9mm P226 is around 28 oz. My W. German P226 isn't going anywhere. The CPO Sigs are great deals. Takes away the "they cost too much" objection especially when you find a hardly fired, like new example. Mine was used, but unfired and arrived at the gunstore via estate sale. $530, not bad. CPOs can be had for less.

Falconeer
November 29, 2006, 10:24 AM
+1 on Sigs.

My first pistol was a P226R that I :banghead: sold and regret it.

The classic Sigs fit my hand like they were made for it. Fantastic accuracy, highly reliable, great deals on CPOs, easy take down, etc. My GSR is the only Sig I've ever had problems with (sheared extractor claw) and their customer service paid shipping both ways, threw in a new mag, and had it back to me TOTAL ten days turn around.

To each their own but I hope one day to own a sample of every model. :)

OH25shooter
November 29, 2006, 10:53 AM
All I can add is last year I picked up a Sig P229 (same model only the slide is milled stainless, the grip is a little shorter and the barrel is 1/2" shorter) and bought it on the spot. In fact, I traded away ALL my S&W auto's afterwards. Regarding the XD, I like that model as well and it too is a quality firearm, but I don't think a Sig vs. XD is a good comparision. Glocks are also fine handguns, but I believe you have to definately like the different grip angle to enjoy shooting a Glock. Since you are a novice to this forum, you'll find it is unlike any other gun forum...tons of opinions, not many gun experts. So, you will have to decide what is best for you. No one here can tell you what is the best. Good luck on your purchase.

DogBonz
November 29, 2006, 11:12 AM
I used to be strictly a 1911, Beretta, and HK guy until I fired my friend’s 226. That thing roks! Accurate as all hell, it points well, and is every bit as reliable as my 92FS was, but was much more comfortable to shoot. I sold my 92FS that week with the intention of buying a 226, but the only ones that I found had the rail, so I bought the 229, which I really like a lot, but the gf loves, so she stole it and I haven’t seen it in months…:mad: Oh well

PO2Hammer
November 29, 2006, 02:40 PM
I've owned all the major brands at one time or another and generaly I like ANY quality pistol. My Glock 17L is very nice as an example and USPs are solid too.
Berettas just never floated my boat.
I have little experience with XDs, but the 4" .40 I shot was very nice.
The P226 ergonomics just work for me. The grip is near perfect and I can reach all the controlls without shifting my grip.
Accuracy has been a little better than H&K, Glock and Beretta in my experience. Maybe it's the ergonomics that get credit for that.
My P226 Navy would be my 'one gun' if I had to choose.

md7
November 29, 2006, 03:11 PM
hey fal, welcome to THR. i have both the glock and the sig 226. both are very reliable and well made guns. the sig fits me a little better, and i tend to shoot a little more accuratly with it than i do the glock. The sig would be an excellent choice.

bluto
November 29, 2006, 08:37 PM
I have my Sig P226's set up like "mosttoyswins" with the Hogue wraparound fingergroove grips. Sig P22X series are a joy to shoot. All the good things you hear about them are true. I've shot an XD (great gun), own a Glock (great pistol) and prefer my P226. I think it's the best full sized 9mm on the market.

SniperStraz
November 29, 2006, 09:14 PM
The Sig P226 is one of the 3 best handguns on the market today. Hands down! (the other two being the Walther P99 and the S&W M&P) Most SEAL teams use it due to the fact that the gun metal is not easily caroded by salt water. Its extremely accurate and very reliable. I'd say go with the Sig!

Black Majik
November 29, 2006, 10:02 PM
The SIG Sauer P226 is my favorite production 9mm handgun. Very easy to shoot, comfortable to hold, and great pointability. On average, they have better triggers than other semi-auto pistols. I rate the "average" trigger better than the HK USPs, SA XD, Beretta M9/92/96FS, and Glock (easily)

The new ones are pretty good, the OLD ones however are awesome. Stamped slide, internal extractor without a rail, what most of us would call the classic P-series SIGs.

My P226 was my first 9mm, it's gone with me to 98% of my range trips and will continue to. I haven't found anything to take it's place. I have other 9mms to supplement the 226, but boy did SIG do right with the P226, P225 and P220.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/Sig226.jpg

allen268
November 29, 2006, 10:11 PM
Surprise! I'm going to agree with everyone else about the Sig, it took me a many years and countless dollars spent on firearms before finally finding what for me was the perfect handgun (in my case the 229), it cost a little to buy but nothing compaired to all the handguns I went through getting to it, If I had only went Sig in the first place I could have saved a small fortune.

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG Help Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!