Help with 22 wmrf

PDA

BobMoore
November 28, 2006, 08:05 PM
I've recently inherited a Smith and Wesson 22 M.R.F. CTG. Model 51 serial # M69321. Can you please tell me where I can get information on this revolver (what is it's main use - target shooting, self defense, hunting, etc). and type of ammunition to use. I also inherited a Smith and Wesson 22 Long Rifle CTG. Model 34-1 serial # M83682. Is there much difference in these two revolvers??
Are either one of much value??
I sure would appreciate all the information you can give me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with 22 wmrf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
November 29, 2006, 09:17 AM
The Model 51 is the magnum rimfire version of the Model 34 and both are known as "Kit Guns".
They are excellent little general purpose .22 revolvers and both are probable more than accurate enough to be used as hunting pistols.
They won't give you pin point match accuracy but they won't be shotgun pattern shooters either.

You cannot shoot regular .22 rimfire shell in the magnum, you must use Magnum cartridges.
I always thought, and still do, that the J frame magnum revolvers would be better served with six or seven inch barrels to maximize the cartridge.

With the three and four inch barrels they really aren't any better ballistically than the Model 34 when it is loaded with CCI Stingers.
Value on both guns in average condition is in the $300-$400 range.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with 22 wmrf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!