SBR Rifle application question (pending move)

PDA

Kaylee
November 28, 2006, 10:14 PM
I'd like to make a clone of the XM177E2 -- 11.5" barrel with "modulator" that will need its own tax stamp, right?

Anyhow, I'm presently in Washington Country, East Tennessee.
I intend to relocate to the Anchorage Alaska area in about six months.

Am I best off waiting until I arrive to begin the SBR process?

If you enjoyed reading about "SBR Rifle application question (pending move)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
November 28, 2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, probably. You'd need to send in a change of address form (or is it just a letter?) and so on.

But then again, form 1s have been going through in less than two months. It could work for you either way! :)

TexasRifleman
November 28, 2006, 10:20 PM
6 months should be time to get the Form 1 back and done if you are not going to have troubles getting the LEO signoff.

Last I heard ATF was running around 45 days at their new location.

It's pretty straightforward to move with an address change form.

Only gotcha might be that you have to fly to get there. Not sure how that might work with transporting an NFA weapon. I've never tried flying with one, not sure how that plays out.

Transporting the gun to your new address is the only place I see a problem.

If you can stand to wait that might be safest.

How you like that? No clear answer to your question :evil:

Third_Rail
November 28, 2006, 10:26 PM
Yep - I forgot about that... I don't believe that you can transport NFA items on planes. If you're going by ship, though, or if you're shipping your firearms, you're OK.

wdlsguy
November 28, 2006, 10:36 PM
I'd like to make a clone of the XM177E2 -- 11.5" barrel with "modulator" that will need its own tax stamp, right?
If BATFE considers the "modulator" a suppressor, it will need its own tax stamp.

Anyhow, I'm presently in Washington Country, East Tennessee.

Tennessee law requires your CLEO to sign off on NFA paperwork unless you are disqualified. :cool:

I intend to relocate to the Anchorage Alaska area in about six months.

Am I best off waiting until I arrive to begin the SBR process?
You will need an approved Application to Transport Interstate (http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf) before making the move if you make the SBR in Tennessee. These seem to take a couple of weeks mailbox to mailbox.

ETA: While I have never done this personally, my "sources" tell me it's okay to fly with NFA weapons as long as your BATFE paperwork is in order.

If you enjoyed reading about "SBR Rifle application question (pending move)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!