30-30 Brass cleaning?

PDA

carsonbm
November 29, 2006, 12:36 AM
I let the tumbler run for 2 hours and the necks of the cartilages were all black, the rest of the shell was nice and shiny. Is this normal?

If you enjoyed reading about "30-30 Brass cleaning?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
November 29, 2006, 02:20 AM
"...the cartilages..." The what? The cartridges? Sorry, I couldn't resist it. Sounds like there was some gas leakage when they were fired. Or the necks didn't expand properly. Not a big deal. It's tedious, but a bit of 0000 steel wool will clean the carbon off. It's something you can do while watching TV. Or you could try putting them back in the tumbler for another two hours.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
November 29, 2006, 02:54 AM
Yup. Sounds about right to me. If you want'm all shiny, just pull out some elbo grease.

-Steve

The Bushmaster
November 29, 2006, 02:28 PM
Carsonbm...Are you seeing primers backing out just a little? If you are that might be your problem too. If so. just figure out how far they are backing out and adjust your resizing die for that amount to move the shoulder forward a little. I have an old .30-30 Winchester and it requires that the resizing die be set .030" off the shell holder, thus moving the case shoulder forward by .030" (form fired) . Might be a head space problem. Maybe not....:D

If you enjoyed reading about "30-30 Brass cleaning?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!