Is the P-226 NAVY legitimate?

PDA

Hokkmike
November 29, 2006, 12:02 PM
Is the SIG P-226 with the anchor and marked NAVY the actual pistol of choice that was used by the Navy Seals or is this advertising hype? After having consulted here and receiving much advice (thanks) I have chosen this pistol in 9mm as my optimal #1 defensive arm of choice. I thought this NAVY Seals gun, if it was the real deal, would be an added plus. Any input appreciated. Thanks THR!

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the P-226 NAVY legitimate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buzz_knox
November 29, 2006, 12:21 PM
The serial number is different, as the 226 Navy uses a NSW prefix and weapons sent to the Teams get no special prefix. But beyond that, it's identical.

You'll be most pleased with it. I love mine.

Curare
November 29, 2006, 12:32 PM
Why would it be "an added plus" if used by the Navy SEALs? Do you have a Navy SEAL shooting it for you? SIGARMs obviously hit the marketing nail on the head with this one, and separted someone from their money.

buzz_knox
November 29, 2006, 12:52 PM
Actually, the idea came from a group of former operators who came to Sig with a proposal to sell Sigs identical to the Navy contract runs, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

RustyShackelford
November 29, 2006, 01:03 PM
The history of US Navy SEALs use of the SIG P-226 9mmNATO is that the M-9 Beretta pistols the SEAL units had could not take the repeated use of high pressure +P/+P+ type 9mm loads. The slides on these M-9s would crack.

The SEAL teams pushed the US Navy/US SPEC OPS command to buy the more expensive SIG P-226 9mmNATO models.

To my knowledge, US SEAL units have used the SIG/P-226 pistols for about 15-20 yrs now. The HK/Mk 23 .45acp USSOCOM pistol is popular but many still use the SIG P-226 9mm.

Rusty ;)

PO2Hammer
November 29, 2006, 01:28 PM
The Navy is actually on their second run of Sigs. This latest batch has the rail on the dustcover.
Why would it be "an added plus" if used by the Navy SEALs? Do you have a Navy SEAL shooting it for you? SIGARMs obviously hit the marketing nail on the head with this one, and separted someone from their money.
Lets see, an extra $50 gets you a German frame, parkerized internals and a neat little anchor on the slide.
The trigger is great, reliability is flawless and it's as accurate as you could expect an out of the box combat gun to be.
I don't feel ripped off, I'm not a SEAL wannabe, just an old sailor who likes his pistol.

Coronach
November 29, 2006, 01:53 PM
You know, I know two guys in Specwar for the USN, and they both hated their Sig 226s. They said that they would not run properly in a sandy environment. Both of them traded them out for something else when they got to Iraq. One went so far as to say that almost everyone in his unit did the same. Not exactly a glowing endorsement, but also just two anecdotes.

Add that in with my PD's experience with Sigs failing their reliability tests, and I really don't know what to think of Sig-Sauer. I own one (P232) and I love it, but I cannot help but wonder how much of Sig's reputation is deserved and how much is just reputation. For instance, my P232 is on its way back to Sig for the third time in six years (take down lever broke off, take down lever broke off again, and trigger pin just vanished :uhoh: ).

Flame Suit On.

Mike

Boats
November 29, 2006, 02:24 PM
Sig has been living large for decades off of the P226 not being chosen as the M9.:D

Make the P226 community property of Uncle Sam, saddle it with crappy Checkmate mags, only replace the alloy framed pistols when all of the finish has worn off and then some, and the P-series would be criticized today as much or more than the Beretta 92FS, with the added "feature" of starting off in the 1980s as a "rustbucket," since it took a good long while for SIG to get around to Nitron and blackened stainless slides when the 92FS has has a baked on elastopolymer finish from the start.

Who says there is no such thing as a second place winner?;)

Dr.Rob
November 29, 2006, 04:11 PM
Before the 226 The Navy had Phrobis (sp?) make 92F slides that were one ounce heavier, just to keep up with the amount of rounds the operators were putting downrange in training (Dick Marcinko said it, it must be true!) Phrobis offered a limited run of these in SGN with a dolphin (their logo) on the slide.

Don't know what one of those actually used by the navy would be worth, but there it is, or if the Navy models have the dolphin.

Phrobis made diving knives, no idea whose cousin scored that contract.

I always thought the 226 was a really well made neat pistol, having the guts parked is worth the extra $50.

bluto
November 29, 2006, 07:22 PM
The P226 Navy model has the supposed advantage of having phosphated internals to provide extra corrosion resistance. Since the new P226's, including the Navy's all have milled stainless nitron'd slides and alloy frames I would think that rust wouldn't be as much of a concern as it is with the older stamped carbon steel slides.

As an owner of both an initial run NSW prefix and a U prefix R model Navy I can tell you that they're excellent pistols. Great triggers. Super accurate. I can't say anything about their real world reliability except to say that they're widely used by police and military agencies around the world including the British SAS, French GIGN, and as standard issue for the New Zealand military.

Both of mine have over 3,000 rounds each through them. My NSW had 3 failures to lock back after the last shot on new empty magazines during the first 100 rounds I put through it. My U prefix had one FTF in the first 50 rounds. Since then they've both fed everything including LSWC without a hitch.

BTW, The Navy models were marketed where I bought mine at virtually the same price as the regular P226. You made an excellent choice in a primary defensive 9mm firearm. My Sig Navy's are my favorite full sized 9mm pistols.

Greg Dunn
November 29, 2006, 07:29 PM
I have looked at several of the NSW 226 pistols and they were nice fit and finish.

I prefer my 17 year old 226, it's broken in and I trust it, never have had a malfunction that wasn't mag or ammo related.

PO2Hammer
November 30, 2006, 12:43 AM
Make the P226 community property of Uncle Sam, saddle it with crappy Checkmate mags, only replace the alloy framed pistols when all of the finish has worn off and then some, and the P-series would be criticized today as much or more than the Beretta 92FS, with the added "feature" of starting off in the 1980s as a "rustbucket," since it took a good long while for SIG to get around to Nitron and blackened stainless slides when the 92FS has has a baked on elastopolymer finish from the start.

I think there might be a lot of truth in that statement. If I were picking a pistol for ANY of our military, I would probably start with a H&K USP .45. I think the 'tab' rail design of the USPs would do better 'over there'.

I'll keep my P226 Navy just the same. It's the best 9mm I've shot, and fortunately I don't have to worry about the sands of Arabia choking my pistol.

strambo
November 30, 2006, 09:33 AM
Well, that horrid Iraqi sand will choke just about anything short of an AK. Don't know what duty pistol would be demonstrably better when sandy (revolver I guess). You just keep it as clean as possible.

Coronach
November 30, 2006, 05:27 PM
Ironically, many of them picked up Tariqs, which they said ran great.

Yeah, I know, I'd be skeptical, too, except I know for a fact that these guys are the real deal.

I dunno.

Mike

possum
November 30, 2006, 05:37 PM
Actually, the idea came from a group of former operators who came to Sig with a proposal to sell Sigs identical to the Navy contract runs, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.
which helps out families of fallen seals IIRC. it is a good cause, i give to military type foundations during the cfc campaigns every year, you really can't appreciate these funds unless you see firsthand how hard things are for wounded soliders, their families. or even worse, the families of the soliders that payed the ultimate price, it is a tough battle, tougher than any battle tha can be fought in combat. a little bit of money out of each paycheck goes along way. if you are ever in texas and have some extra time on your hands just go by bamc, and see were the money goes, and you will be abeliever and probally give whole heartdly for the rest of your days.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the P-226 NAVY legitimate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!