Can your wife heft your shotgun?

PDA

Guyon
January 5, 2003, 10:35 PM
My wife didn't grow up shooting, and she's not a shooting enthusiast by any means. But of late, she's been pretty good about going with me and shooting pistols. So far, she's shot a .22, a .32 ACP, a 9mm Mak, and a 9mm Luger pistol. A 9mm stays by the bed at night, so I wanted to be particularly sure that she is familiar and proficient with that gun.

Today, I thought I'd explain to her the basics of how the HD shotgun operates "just in case." I showed her how to release and rack the action and how to snap off the safety. I handed over the gun just to see if she could chamber a shell. She did fine getting the shell in the chamber, but I was suprised to see that she could not mount the gun at all. The stock was just way too long. In an emergency, she'd have to shoot from the hip, which wouldn't be pleasant for all involved. Also, I realized that she couldn't even hold the gun up for very long. Loaded, the HD shotgun weighs in at 9 lb. 3 oz.

So certainly she's sticking to handguns if any scenario might require defensive fire. But it got me to wondering what might fit her. A 20 gauge youth perhaps?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can your wife heft your shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
priv8ter
January 5, 2003, 11:32 PM
I have a 20ga Ted Williams Auto that I call my HD Shotgun. My wife doesn't find the weight an issue, but, the stock could probably use a few inches taken of it to optimize her use of it. Heck, I'm thinking of doing the work myself...take off a few extra inches and add a rubber butt pad...I have a hard time seeing myself paying a smith to do it when I only paid $150 for the gun.

Kingcreek
January 6, 2003, 12:16 AM
The only SG my 97# 5'0" wife will have anything to do with is the 20g Micro Lightning that I bought for her for bird hunting. I've been thinking about a 20g youth combo also, just to have around. Got 1 grandchild and hopes for a couple more in the back of my mind too.
My wife has almost no interest in firearms other than hunting and, to a lesser extent, self-defense.
She adopted my old Mod 70 .243 featherwt for antelope and has shot 2 cleanly thru the heart. For a handgun she has her own Colt Diamondback .38 and no desire for more hardware. (atleast I'm lucky there!)

sm
January 6, 2003, 04:15 AM
Another thread touched on this, concerning trap guns.

She needs to pick out what fits her, especially for clay games. That said, IMO a 20 ga semi is one of the best kept secrets for HD.
Used, if need a youth stock can be purchased...etc.

Now I did set my mom up with a NEF 20 ga youth model--arthritis set in and not the handgun shooter she once was. I'm not concerned about her ability to use...she good!

Double Naught Spy
January 6, 2003, 11:39 AM
My wife can handle anything we have in the house, otherwise it isn't that much good to be in the house if she can't.

I am very impressed with her ability to handle our Rem 870 12 ga. and to be able to cycle rounds through and quickly hit targets. She doesn't like to shoot it a lot, but she can hit quite well anything within interior distances which up up to 15 yards.

It is nice to know your life partner is qualified to handle whatever you have for HD. FYI, her handgun of choice is a full-sized 1911!

HS/LD
January 6, 2003, 11:51 AM
My wife had done a hunter safety class when I met her and had her own bow for bowhunting deer.
She ahd never fired a handgun.

Now she has 2 Glocks 19 & 26.
She has fired:
9mm / .40S&W / .45ACP / .44magnum / 7.62x39 / .223 / .308 / 12 gauge.

She has no problem shootgun my semi mossberg all afternoon at our informal skeet sessions, and can "on the move" nail a mansized target with my Win Defender 1300 with all 8 shots.

She is only 5'4" and 118.

But has guts like you wouldn't believe.

See how she handled the:
SCARY Scary Scenario!! (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2247)

In the Strategies and Tactics Forum.

There is a reason I came all the way from New Zealand to get her :D

Regards,
HS/LD

Soap
January 6, 2003, 01:16 PM
My wife can heft my Nova+mag extension just fine. Then again, she is in very good shape and she can bench her own weight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can your wife heft your shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!