New irons on old Marlin?

PDA

Fred Fuller
November 29, 2006, 06:53 PM
Not long ago I bought an early 50s 336CR (yep, Ballard style rifling too). This one isn't drilled and tapped for scope bases, and I don't want to put a scope on it anyway.

The front sight (a brass bead) is dovetailed behind the front barrel band, and the left side of the receiver is drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.

So, what are my current options, that don't call for more drilling/tapping? I'd rather use a steel rear sight, and replace the front bead with a flat topped post. Any suggestions to help out my tired old eyes with some new irons in using this middle-aged Marlin?

TIA,

lpl/nc

If you enjoyed reading about "New irons on old Marlin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
daniel (australia)
November 30, 2006, 06:31 AM
Something like a Lyman 66LA at the rear perhaps? I have one of these on one of my Marlins, and it screws right on using the existing holes. It is a good sight, and I screw the insert disc out for to make it a very fast ghost ring for hunting use. The Williams FP and 5D models are also available for this application, but are not steel.

Fred Fuller
November 30, 2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks Daniel, that's very much what I had in mind. My copy of the Jack First Inc. catalog just came in yesterday, and I found the Lyman 66LA after posting this question. Given 2684 pages of catalog, it takes a little getting used to, this is the first time I've had a catalog from them.

Now then, all I have to do is find a suitable front post. I'd like to use one of the XS white stripe posts- but which height for the Lyman?
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=43&s=

lpl/nc

highlander 5
November 30, 2006, 08:47 AM
when you buy the rear sight the salesman should be able to match the front sight to the rear. if unsure call Williams sight co they can tell you the correct height

JoeHatley
November 30, 2006, 12:36 PM
Another option might be to call the folks at www.marblearms.com

When I wanted to replace/upgrade the sights on my old "Ballard" 39A, they were very helpfull. Their products are top notch stuff.

Good Luck...

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "New irons on old Marlin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!