50 AE shell holder

PDA

FAL_Freak
May 23, 2003, 12:28 AM
Anyone out there reload 50 AE? If so does a 44 Mag shellholder work alright? It seems kinda silly to buy a shell holder that only is usable for one caliber, but the expense isn't that bad I guess.

If you enjoyed reading about "50 AE shell holder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeeper
May 23, 2003, 12:46 AM
I always used the same one. I thought they were the same but RCBS lists different ones. The dimesions on the rim are .5150 and .5140 for the 50 and 44. I dont understand the difference. The only difference I could tell is the height of the gap above the rim. I have never had a problem but like you said the cost is small to buy the correct one.

FAL_Freak
May 23, 2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks Jeeper. Yeah the cost is minimal but if I was to get the Lee shell holder set. ( a good deal at 14 bucks or so for 11 shell holders) all I'd have would be the 44 mag one. There is the option of getting the Lee 50 AE dies that come with the sell holder, but I'm not sure I like the rubber O-Ring "locking ring" on those dies. Any experience with Lee's O-ring locking system?

KP95DAO
May 23, 2003, 01:40 PM
With my Lee dies I make a mark with a magic marker on the die body so that I set it at the same spot each time. I also do this on other dies that I don't have the lock ring tightened down (because sometimes I change the setting).

CARSON
May 23, 2003, 05:01 PM
I have a set of Lee Carbide dies for 9mm and I found the O-ring lock was not that great. RCBS sells the locking rings seperately that work well, I happened to have a set from a die set I sold the rifle for.

FAL_Freak
May 24, 2003, 10:33 PM
I've done the magic marker trick on a set of RCBS dies before I figured out how to use the lock rings. (Hey I was a newbie, and still am) But I would have never thought of puting some real lock rings on the Lee dies. I love the idea, simple and not horribly expensive. :D

Thanks guys for the great tips for a newbie. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "50 AE shell holder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!