Professional Rifle Rehab for Milsurp?

PDA

El Tejon
November 30, 2006, 11:40 AM
I have purchased a few Indian .308 Enfields recently. I have degreased one myself so I can shoot it, but have others still in the cos.

Anyone have a recommendation for a professional restoration job? I have a couple of rifles from Robar but do not know if they do this kind of thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Professional Rifle Rehab for Milsurp?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jagdpanzer347
November 30, 2006, 01:30 PM
You might check Dean's Gun Restorations. They have a real good rep for restoring Garands. I would say you could probably easily spend two or three times the cost of the rifle on the restoration though. I have seen a few 2A1s in very, very good condition for 250.00-300.00. These wouldn't require any work unless you wanted one that was absolutley perfect.

-jagd

El Tejon
November 30, 2006, 01:41 PM
I'll look them up, thanks.

I bought the greasy ones for $120 a pop. Yes, I will keep them greasy as I will likely plant some in the Spring but wanted to have at least one in pristine condition.:)

Third_Rail
November 30, 2006, 01:43 PM
...plant some in the Spring...

Does this mean what I think it means?

El Tejon
November 30, 2006, 02:00 PM
Third, yes. Milsurps are good to bury right now. The Finnish M-Ns were good as they came in at $80 or so in '96, two rifles and a Hungarian sealed can of big Russian. You know this soil around here will grow anything.:D

However, I want to have one or two left to shoot. The one I cleaned up is smooth as silk and off my range bag stays inside 2" at 100 with commerical ammo. I just need an optic to do better.

Third_Rail
November 30, 2006, 02:34 PM
I can't actually tell if you're joking! :uhoh:

kfranz
November 30, 2006, 02:42 PM
I can't actually tell if you're joking!

What's wrong with burying cheap rifles? Never know when your place might burn and ruin all the stuff stored inside. Buried stuff doesn't burn so easily....

rhubarb
November 30, 2006, 04:14 PM
I think that planting rifles works pretty good. I had a friend that planted an AK some 12 years ago. Now I see a lot more of them around. I reckon a rifle tree grew and bore fruit.

pbhome71
November 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
They grow better too, if you also spread metal pellets around the same area... :p

-Pat

Hoppy590
November 30, 2006, 09:55 PM
you guys are evil :evil: hahaha....

wish i had a green (m1) thumb

RevolvingCylinder
November 30, 2006, 10:14 PM
$120 for .308 Enfields? I really haven't seen any around.

I'll be going to a gun show soon. I may or may not be interested in one.

I may or may not take a shovel to your backyards either.:D

meef
December 1, 2006, 01:19 AM
Yes, I will keep them greasy as I will likely plant some in the Spring but wanted to have at least one in pristine condition.I can relate.

The soil in my area is really fertile, so I planted a few - by the end of the growing season they were shooting up all over the place.

TimboKhan
December 1, 2006, 01:22 AM
The soil in my area is really fertile, so I planted a few - by the end of the growing season they were shooting up all over the place.

Somewhere, a kitten just died thanks to this pun.

I, on the other hand, thought it was pretty damn funny...

dfaugh
December 1, 2006, 10:20 AM
For the ultimate in gun restorations, check out Doug Turnbull Restorations, he's done work for my best shooting buddy for the past several years. Mostly guns from 1850's to 1940's. (he's also convenient as he's right down the road from us.) In my mind (and I've toured his operation) the best gun restorer in the business.

HOWEVER, he's costly, with a long waiting list. And it would probably cost you hundreds of dollars (no matter WHO does the work), for a gun that'll never be worth all that much (they're just too common).

I'm restoring a 1918 SMLE Mark 1, III*, that I bought at an estate auction. Bubba had taken a saw to the stock, but I got all the "new" parts I needed off eBay(and all the metal is good w/ matching numbers). But its an incredible amount of work (I'm just doing it for the satisfaction), for a gun that'll probebly never be worth more than a few hundred dollars.

If you enjoyed reading about "Professional Rifle Rehab for Milsurp?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!