Should I Install My Own 1911 Front Sight???

PDA

jburks
November 30, 2006, 05:04 PM
I have a Springfield Trophy Match with factory target sights (Dovetailed). I just purchased a Dawson Precision Fiber Optic front sight and I'm looking for advice on installing it. Is this pretty straight forward to install myself or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

JB

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I Install My Own 1911 Front Sight???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pro_Gun
November 30, 2006, 08:09 PM
trouble. If the new sight does not fit perfect. Getting the little pin out will be a bear with out proper tools. Let a good smithy do it. Can't cost much not to bugger up the gun.

jburks
December 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the advice Pro Gun. To me it's not so much a cost issue as it is that I'm a shameless do-it-yourselfer. I decided to give it a try and it actually worked out pretty well allthough I had to do a little modifying to it to get it to fit. The new Dawson sight was a little to tight. I used a small file and removed some material on the Dawson dovetail. Now it seems to work well.

Thanks again for the advice.

roo_ster
December 4, 2006, 12:51 PM
I will no longer farm out such a task to a 'smith after my latest tale of woe & despair. What a fiasco.

Frankly, dovetails are pretty simple, as are pins. Get yourself the proper tools (punches, hammers, etc) and talk to the manufacturers (weapon & sight) to ensure the dovetail sizing. Then remove the sight and measure with your reloading calipers or mic to ensure the manuacturer is not smoking crack.

Alvin in AZ
December 4, 2006, 04:20 PM
Cool thread. :)

I too am a tinkerer and would rather screw it up myself than pay money then have to re-do something done by and "expert".

BTDT sooo stinkin many times I've learned my lesson, only if the job requires tooling I can-not afford to make etc then and only then will I hand it over to someone else.

Gunsmithing is one of those things where you expect better results than usual and certain jobs, I've had done, were great! :) Most, not so great tho. :/

I got a question over in the Shotgunning Forum about unscrewing a JCHiggins model 20 barrel... could you guys take a look at that thread for me please? :)

Got any ideas or experiences to share?

Even if the conclusion turns out to be... "take it to a gunsmith" ...I want to explore the posibilities anyway.

Alvin in AZ

Pro_Gun
December 4, 2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/pashotguns/index.html

Try this for help or at least some info?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I Install My Own 1911 Front Sight???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!