Bullet Acronyms

PDA

SIRVEYR666
November 30, 2006, 04:59 PM
I posted this link in a different area of THR and thought that others may find it useful. Mostly for newbies, but seasoned vets can learn from it, too.:D

Bullet Acronyms (http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/bulletnames.html)

Hope that it helps someone out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet Acronyms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Khornet
December 1, 2006, 07:44 AM
Nice job. Very helpful. Printed and on my bench.

CMcDermott
December 1, 2006, 02:03 PM
I believe your definitions of +P and +P+ are a bit off, the definitions tha I've learned for them are :

+P = conforms to the spec for a higher than standard pressure level in the ammo, the maximum for this higher pressure level is specified by SAAMI/CIP

+P+ = higher than normal pressure level specified, there is no maximum pressure level specified. This is typically ammo that was manufactured for the police or military and is loaded for a specific weapon that is designed for the higher pressure level. The pressure this ammo is loaded to could be less than +P, or much greater, really no way for anyone but the manufacturer to know without testing.

So 38+P ammo is loaded to a known higher than standard pressure level and should only be fired in guns rated for the higher pressure level.

38+P+ ammo can be loaded to ANY pressure level, and only the people who loaded it know the pressure level of the ammo. You have to be careful with this ammo, and know what gun it was loaded for to know if it might be safe in your firearm; even if your gun is chambered for 357 magnum.

rbernie
December 1, 2006, 02:07 PM
Might want to add:

OTM = Open Tip Match (generic term of construction)
TAP = Tactical Application Police (Hornady trademark)

Ben Shepherd
December 1, 2006, 02:54 PM
CMcDermott:

A little clarification:

38+p is SAMMI spec'd at 10% above normal 38. Same with 9mm fodder. But the +p+ stuff can go as much as 50% higher, so with that stuff extreme care is the order of the day.

Ares45
December 3, 2006, 03:46 PM
Good work. I like what you've done. I'll be keeping it handy also.

One minor correction...

5.56 and .223Rem are identical in dimension but the chamber dimensions are not. The short version is 5.56 fired in a weapon chambered for .223 could be potentially hazardous to your health. I would imagine 7.62 vs. .308 is similar situation. Not sure if you're just talking caliber or actual loaded rounds but some clarification may be in order...

Read on for the long version... (borrowed from AR15/AmmoOracle)...

"...Dimensionally, 5.56 and .223 ammo are identical, though military 5.56 ammo is typically loaded to higher pressures and velocities than commercial ammo and may, in guns with extremely tight "match" .223 chambers, be unsafe to fire.

The chambers for .223 and 5.56 weapons are not the same either. Though the AR15 design provides an extremely strong action, high pressure signs on the brass and primers, extraction failures and cycling problems may be seen when firing hot 5.56 ammo in .223-chambered rifles. Military M16s and AR15s from Colt, Bushmaster, FN, DPMS, and some others, have the M16-spec chamber and should have no trouble firing hot 5.56 ammunition.

Military M16s have slightly more headspace and have a longer throat area, compared to the SAAMI .223 chamber spec, which was originally designed for bolt-action rifles. Commercial SAAMI-specification .223 chambers have a much shorter throat or leade and less freebore than the military chamber. Shooting 5.56 Mil-Spec ammo in a SAAMI-specification chamber can increase pressure dramatically, up to an additional 15,000 psi or more.

The military chamber is often referred to as a "5.56 NATO" chamber, as that is what is usually stamped on military barrels. Some commercial AR manufacturers use the tighter ".223" (i.e., SAAMI-spec and often labeled ".223" or ".223 Remington") chamber, which provides for increased accuracy but, in self-loading rifles, less cycling reliability, especially with hot-loaded military ammo. A few AR manufacturers use an in-between chamber spec, such as the Wylde chamber. Many mis-mark their barrels too, which further complicates things. You can generally tell what sort of chamber you are dealing with by the markings, if any, on the barrel, but always check with the manufacturer to be sure."

Pathfinder1
September 14, 2010, 03:30 PM
I'm a newbie at reloading and could someone tell me what (in regards to cartridge reloading) is the difference in the terms OAL, COAL, and COL. Do they all refer to the basic cartridge length and are they all the Same, meaning just different wording ie "Over All Length", "Cartridge Over All length", or "Cartridge Overall Length ?

Muttt
September 14, 2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah pretty much.

snuffy
September 14, 2010, 07:49 PM
You forgot to explain to new people in the reloading area, the names for parts of a cartridge. That it's not a bullet, it's a cartridge, round or shell. They think the whole thing is a bullet, then try to use TIP, HEAD, FRONT, POINT, WARHEAD OR SLUG to describe a bullet. Brass, or case for the main part, and primer. Then of course powder, or propellant.

They can't help it, being exposed to the media that doesn't care.

Tilos
September 15, 2010, 12:25 AM
How about "SIE" as it appears on the Hodgdon website?

As in "124 SIE FMJ" as a description of a 9mm bullet in the Reloading Data center.

I'll probably a have a "Da" moment when I find out but for now I don't have a clue.

Remo-99
September 15, 2010, 10:59 AM
How about "SIE" as it appears on the Hodgdon website?

As in "124 SIE FMJ" as a description of a 9mm bullet in the Reloading Data center.

I take that to mean an abreviation of Sierra, as their "SPR" to mean Speer and "HDY" = Hornady.

RhinoDefense
September 15, 2010, 11:02 AM
PB is also used to describe a cast bullet with plain base as opposed to a gas check or bevel base.

Tilos
September 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
Remo-99:
Thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet Acronyms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!