Ideas on trigger pull gauge

PDA

longrifleman
November 30, 2006, 06:30 PM
I'm looking for a cheap way to measure trigger pull, but don't really have enough need to spend much cash for a fancy gauge. I was thinking of using a sock or something similar and adding a know amount of weight untill
I get to the pull weight I want. I happen to have some cast bullets of know weight available, so it would just be a matter of counting them out. Cheap but time consuming. Anybody have a better idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ideas on trigger pull gauge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pro_Gun
November 30, 2006, 08:05 PM
Several fairly cheap, RCBS, $1.00 and up to $60

Search trigger pull gauge under all catagories.

or

http://search.ebay.com/trigger-pull-gauge_W0QQfromZR40

jmorris
November 30, 2006, 10:21 PM
I built this one out of part of a target stand a pice of a broom bolts and washers. If you look close you can see where I wrote down the weight of the washers & bolts. I use it more as a go/no go guage than anything now.

Clark
December 1, 2006, 07:29 PM
I got a force gauge for pennies on the dollar at Ebay.

Dies, scopes, and brass may sell for more than new, but some obscure test equiptment goes for a song.

.38 Special
December 1, 2006, 07:40 PM
You could just use a wire loop with a basket on the end of it. Add bullets until the sear goes click -- you did unload first, yes? -- and then start the arithmetic.

OTOH, as others have pointed out you can find trigger pull gauges for less than $10.

earplug
December 1, 2006, 07:58 PM
I used to use a cup and measured container. Water is the weight. Easy to transport and light to carry.

Bwana John
December 2, 2006, 10:49 AM
Heavy guage wire bent into the shape of a "S". and SCUBA weights are what I have been using on my quest for the "perfect FAL trigger" (for a 4-5 lb pull)

DrDeFab
December 2, 2006, 11:46 AM
Fishing scales work very well, especially if you already have one. :D Here's the type I use: Rapala 15 lb. mech. scale (http://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Mechanical-Scale-15Lb/dp/B00068VBUY/sr=1-11/qid=1165073130/ref=sr_1_11/002-4570849-1358407?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods)

The hook isn't always usable as is, but you can either bend it and wrap some tape around it, or make a "robotic finger". I used a scrap piece of 3/8" dowel through a chunk of old air hose, with a loop of paracord hooked around a small nail in each end of the dowel. My experience is that it is accurate to about +/- 2oz; YMMV.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ideas on trigger pull gauge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!