IOR v. Leupold?

PDA

TooTaxed
November 30, 2006, 06:40 PM
How does the IOR brand compare with Leupold? I umderstand the IOR glass is German...and the IOR literature looks good...(Of course!) Does anyone have long range tactical experience with both?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "IOR v. Leupold?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
50 Freak
November 30, 2006, 07:05 PM
IORs are built like tanks. Very very good optics.

Leupolds also have good optics...but more importantly a very very good warrantee.

IOR's do not...from what I've heard...but my one warrantee dealing with them, was very satisfactory...so take it ask you will.

hksw
November 30, 2006, 07:49 PM
I've onlt got one IOR (and plenty of Leupolds), an early 6X42-1". A nice scope, glass is made by Schott. Very good optics. Not very good at 50yds and under due to parallax and no adjustments to correct that at those distances (no adjustable objective) but for anything else, it's pretty good. One other shortcoming for this model is, the turrets have adjustment limits. If you need more adjustment, you must loosen the graduated cylinder of the turret knobs and re-adjust to zero the scope. Have to do the same thing to re-zero the graduations of the turret. What bolts the graduated cylinder down to the turrent are two very small slotted screws. Very easy to round of the edges of the slots. Some of the current and higher IOR models have turrent that turn 360 and use hex head screw so these problems are fixed. One downfall of their higher end scopes is that the main tube diameters are 35mm. Not too many options for rings for those. Clicks on the turrets are very sharp and precise with no play at all between hash marks.

I really like the MP-8 reticle. Plan on getting a higher end model to try them out again, this time with AO and better turrets.

The Leupolds are Leupolds. All of mine have worked very well. Only other scopes I buy now that are in the $500-$1000 range are Sightron SIIIs. Less than $500 I stick with Nikon. One of these days I'll try out Nightforces (and the Europeans outside of the only Kahles I have).

If you enjoyed reading about "IOR v. Leupold?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!