butt magazine

PDA

roscoe
May 23, 2003, 06:00 AM
Does anyone know where to get a butt magazine? I was looking at the Art of the Rifle again and sort of got a hankering for one. I know that it is one of those esoteric items, but they seem like a pretty good way to use the space. For aesthetic reasons I would like to avoid an elastic butt cuff.

I have been totally unable to locate information on the web. I suppose I could use a drill press and make one myself, but if someone is making kits, it would probably make it a bit easier - just make a hole and insert the unit. I personally think that the type on the bottom (as opposed to the actual butt end of the stock) seem more useful, since you can still have a recoil pad.

If you enjoyed reading about "butt magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schmit
May 23, 2003, 09:28 AM
Roscoe,

The problem your going to come up with is that all stocks aren't created equal... that and there are many different styles of magizines.

Have you tried Brownells?

My guess is that it would have to be a custom affair. It shouldn't be that difficult to have a shop make a sheet-metal mag well that you could inlay into your stock after you milled out a space for it. But then you get into the question of how much will you degrade the strength of the stock.

jmcc11
May 23, 2003, 11:09 AM
This may be what you are looking for.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/other_access.asp

seeker_two
May 23, 2003, 11:32 AM
What kind of rifle are we discussing?

I agree about the aesthetics (or lack of) of elastic butt cuffs. But I do like a lot of the lace-up leather ones being offered now. They seem quite appropriate for older rifles (I'm planning to put one on my SMLE sporter), and some even have recoil pads in them that don't look like bare rubber.

Check out the SASS site as well as some of the better holster makers. I also believe Midway, Dillon, & CTD may have some too.

Good luck...

roscoe
May 23, 2003, 02:38 PM
jmcc11,

Thanks for the link, that certainly looks like what I had in mind, although it says that they only sell them as part of a rifle package.

Schmit,

I am worried about degrading the strength of the stock, since it is only a Winchester 94 and the stock is pretty small anyway. I think that if I put it toward the butt end, it should have less effect on the strength, but I definitely need to get dimensions before I purchase it.

Thanks, all

MessedUpMike
May 23, 2003, 03:27 PM
The Rase Extra 30, and you can find it at: http://www.rasestock.com/wtock.html

I think there may be a review of it on the MD-AR15 site too.

Kaylee
May 23, 2003, 03:41 PM
Winchester 94???
Why didn't you say so? :)

Another vote for a leather lace-up cuff. A few bucks at the leather shop (or goodwill store in the jacket section), a heavy needle, leather thread and an awl and you've got a wonderful, very traditional looking carrier. Of course, it won't weaken the stock at all, and is easily undone should you ever change your mind.

Failing that... do you mean like a tubular magazine set into the stock wood, with a spring behind it, that lets you thumb rounds out of the stock and into the loading gate? Kinda like them superfancy shotgun "tactical" stocks?

If so.... sounds like a pretty custom job.. though you might **might** be able to cannibalize an existing magazine tube and spring from a beat-up and gone rifle and inlet that into the stock.. not sure how you'd solve the "one round at a time" problem. Sounds like a fun project. :)

-K

jmcc11
May 23, 2003, 03:48 PM
If the butt trap option doesn't work out, and you want a leather butt cuff you might consider this one. It looks very nice.

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product/h_rsh.htm

keano44
May 23, 2003, 04:10 PM
They are usually shrink-wrapped in clear plastic, behind the counter of convenience stores. At least that is where I have seen them.
Oh, wait... you didn't mean... Sorry!

Andrew Wyatt
May 23, 2003, 04:29 PM
well, at least he didn't say "butt clips", which are located at a different store alltogether.

roscoe
May 23, 2003, 05:26 PM
aahh yes, an 'ammunition trap'

you can imagine what I got when I searched the internet for 'butt magazine'.

I was thinking of making my own similar to the brockman trap - maybe drilling six 3/8" wide holes on the bottom of the stock and installing a sliding door. I would love to figure out a way to install springs in the holes to prevent the rounds from rattling.

MessedUpMike
May 23, 2003, 07:54 PM
Oh, I thought ya where looking for a modern one. Hmmm, thirty round off of a lever action though:D .......

ShaiVong
May 23, 2003, 08:22 PM
you can imagine what I got when I searched the internet for 'butt magazine'.

ROFL! :D

TimH
May 23, 2003, 11:43 PM
Did you check in the waiting room at the proctologist?:D

Kaylee
May 24, 2003, 12:52 AM
What's that Mrs. Eatman? Oh.. yes ma'am... whatever you say ma'am... we'll be keeping it clean ma'am. ;)

-K

If you enjoyed reading about "butt magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!