How the heck do I disassemble this pistol?

PDA

Partisan Ranger
May 23, 2003, 08:50 AM
I got my Kahr K-9 a few weeks ago and was attempting to take it apart last night to clean it. I simply cannot get the pin out so I can remove the slide. I followed the Kahr instructions (rack the gun 3/4" or so until the notch in the slide meets where the pin is, then tap it out), but as much as I 'tap' (or whack as hard as I can) with a screwdriver end, that thing won't budge. Anyone else have this problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "How the heck do I disassemble this pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snowdog
May 23, 2003, 08:57 AM
Anyone else have this problem?

Um, no... not me.

Perhaps a little penetrative oil allowed to seep in between the frame and the pin might help. Just don't force anything. The K9 is built like a tank, but she still doesn't like to be abused.

Make certain the slide and frame relation is as below before you tap the slide stop pin:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pd87db77b14eb8f523275de5736262482/fc17e3db.jpg

Other side:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pc5b6434bf95f6dccbf2ae04c006df22c/fc17e3de.jpg

If the slide is positioned as such, it should only require a square tap from the polymer base of the mag to send the pin out.

Partisan Ranger
May 23, 2003, 09:17 AM
I'll try some oil, maybe the pin is stuck. It has to be. No amount of force will budge it at this point. Thanks for the pics! I love this board.

Snowdog
May 23, 2003, 09:23 AM
Ok, if you're positioning the slide right and it's still a no-go, it just very well may be stuck.

Try liberal amounts of penetrating oil (WD-40, Kroil, Breakfree, etc) and work the action a bit to get the barrel to cam. This should help the oil work its way to where it's needed (which might be the barrel itself). Be sure to engage the slide stop repeatedly to also help facilitate the oil.

Good luck and keep us posted. A sick K9 depresses us all. :(

cadfael
May 23, 2003, 09:31 AM
If its getting the slide back to the exact point and holding it there is the problem then Kahr does sell a take down block that fits in the K9 and holds the slide exactly at the right position.
Kahr Shop-Take Down Block (http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=69)

Or alternatively people have used bits of dowel's cut down to the proper size.

Otherwise, it took a surprising amount of force to get the pin out on my PM9 the first time. Fortunately after that it gets much easier.

Adam

Mike Irwin
May 23, 2003, 09:48 AM
Actually yeah, a lot of people have that problem.

The pin is VERY tightly fit in a lot of guns, and can be very tough to remove the first couple of times.

I made a wood block for mine to hold the slide in the right spot, which would then allow me to use a nylon hammer on the offside of the pin.

Even after having been shot quite a bit and having been disassembled quite a few times the pin is still very tight.

Partisan Ranger
May 23, 2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the input. What size dowel should I purchase to wedge into the chamber to keep the slide in the proper position? The combination of having to keep the slide in the right place with a very stubborn pin is making things hard. If I could wedge something in the chamber (that won't hurt anything) that would sure help.

I could buy the thingy-mabob from Kahr but I'd rather save the $11. Thanks.

P.R.

firestar
May 23, 2003, 12:18 PM
Don't worry, I really doubt that it is stuck. I bet it is a matter of getting the slide back to the right position. It takes 3 hands to hold it back and try to hammer out a stubborn take down lever.

I found a plastic wedge that works great for this but before that, I just used a marker. Try several different size markers and pens or whatever will fit in there to keep the slide back to the proper place. Look at the second pic that Snowdog posted to check for proper distance, the takedown lever just needs to clear that little cut out in the slide.

Don't hammer it too hard or you might dammage something. What you were doing with the plastic end of the screwdriver sounded O.K. as long as you don't hit it too hard. When you think the slide is back far enough, just tap out the slide lever.

George Hill
May 23, 2003, 12:35 PM
Get a can of some spray cleaner / lube and don't try forcing the pin. You could ruin the gun.

Mike Irwin
May 23, 2003, 12:45 PM
I just took a piece of hardwood dowel, cut it to the approximate length, and then fine tuned with with some coarse sandpaper.

Handy
May 23, 2003, 01:29 PM
Not to be a jerk, but you did remove the mag?

Partisan Ranger
May 23, 2003, 02:11 PM
Yes, I removed the magazine. That pin is just wedged in there really tight.

I bought some BreakFree and have applied it. I'll work on it tonight when I get home.

Pebcac
May 23, 2003, 06:00 PM
I was just in my local gunshop today picking out my household's second stainless K9. Got a lightly-used one with Trijicons. When I stripped it to check it out, I used the corner of a plastic tape measure to push the slide stop pin out - and it promptly shot through the air six feet across the floor!

Those things can be right stiff. As mentioned above, get something to hold the slide in the right place, and lightly rap that sucker out with the plastic handle of a screwdriver and a hammer. I usually use the rounded back end of one of those short, fat little Craftsman Philips-head screwdrivers.

Partisan Ranger
May 23, 2003, 08:41 PM
Using a hammer, cloth, and a screwdriver, I finally got that pin out, after I lubed it with BreakFree. Wow that thing is in there tight!

Thanks to the people on this thread. I wouldn't have gotten it out without you. I completely cleaned the gun and got it back together with no problem. It looks great! I can't wait to go shoot it this weekend.

P.R.

cadfael
May 23, 2003, 10:25 PM
woohoo

Shoot well.

Adam

If you enjoyed reading about "How the heck do I disassemble this pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!