Nice little .22 rifle, but lousy sights. Ideas?

PDA

Quartus
May 23, 2003, 11:21 AM
I've got a Marlin 60 that I want to use to teach my young 'uns to shoot, but the stock sights REEK! I hate to spend a lot of money on a $75 rifle, but those stock sights have got to go!

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Nice little .22 rifle, but lousy sights. Ideas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RON in PA
May 23, 2003, 12:05 PM
I assume the rifle has stamped open sights. Next step up is a set of peep sights and better still a scope. You might in fact have to spend some money to do either of the above.

Selfdfenz
May 23, 2003, 12:18 PM
Many feel the first step(s) in teaching a youngster to shoot involves theaching them to shoot with iron sights.

I couldn't agree less with this thinking.

Scope the rifle.
They have enough to work on with positioning the head, grip "learning the trigger", gun safe handling procedures etc. While they are getting all that down to the point they can do it reproducablely they are building confidence as they see the target being consistantly hit and hit well.

At the end of this they "have" the fundamentals.
When you take off the scope they KNOW the gun will do it's job if they do theirs and they are most of the way there.

They just have one thing to work on and that is getting a reproducable sight picture with iron sights. A much more logical approach don't you think?

BTY I just went through this with my son. I will never start another kiddo without at least a red dot on the rifle but better still is a scope with cross hairs. My child is making great progress now and he knows the glass will go one of these days. You can try and explain what "grouping" is and you can show them a good traget you have shoot but if goes much better and more quickly if they see their own groups starting to form as they shoot.

Take care and "good show" teaching the generation the sport of shooting.
S-

jw29650
May 23, 2003, 12:53 PM
I have a marlin 60 and had lots of fun with it. I taught my children to shoot with it. I went to walmart and got a cheap scope for it. Scopes come in two styles, a 22 scope and then the rest. If you get something other than a 22 scope make sure the scope mounting rings are for a 22 groves that are in the receiver. Weaver rings will not fit the receiver groves. For 50 ft. targets the 22 scope is good.

TODD3465
May 23, 2003, 12:55 PM
Hi everybody, I'm new here.
I looked for a Williams WGRS peep sight but could not find one for the model 60. So I'd say scope it. I'm sorta disapointed in Williams as the WGRS is their cheapest model and the 60 is a very common .22.:confused:

For kids I'd like the option of scope and peep myself to get them used to both. And, I agree a scope would be a good start.
:)

Steve Smith
May 23, 2003, 01:01 PM
I learned hwo to shoot with a Model 60. I was a much better shot with the sights (somewhat poor as they are) than with the scope that I always had a tendency to fool with.

Handy
May 23, 2003, 01:13 PM
This may be a long shot, but have you checked with Marlin? They make match rifles, perhaps one of those sights will mount on some of their other receivers. Or they may suggest something.

Dave R
May 23, 2003, 01:18 PM
I've had real good luck with the Tasco Pronghorn fixed 4X scope. Put one on my Marlin, and liked it so much I put another on my son's Ruger. Mine is now 5 years old. Good brightness, has held zero for lo, these many years. It was about $30 when I bought it.

I like the iron sights on my Model 60, but mine's 25 yrs old. Marlin may have used better sights back then.

DMK
May 23, 2003, 01:45 PM
What about a Williams peep sight that fits on the 22's grooved reciever? Might have to raise the front sight a bit though. Perhaps epoxying a little silver bead on top of the existing one will raise it enough.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16314

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/962200810.jpg

makdaddy03
May 23, 2003, 02:51 PM
The Marlin 60 is the best value rifle on the market. In a rimfire I wouldnt have anything else but a Marlin. The sights are no problem for me. Very accurate rimfire.:)

Quartus
May 24, 2003, 10:14 AM
Good thoughts, gents. Much appreciated. I had thought of that same thing re: learning to shoot with a scope first. Glad I'm not the only weirdo! :D

But it makes sense to me. One of my new shooters is too small to handle the rifle himself, so he really doesn't need any more complications.

But a shooter who can't use iron sights well is no shooter, in my book, so I think that peep will be in the future, once they can shoot decently with the scope.

makdaddy, if you can shoot with THOSE sights you're a better man than I! :D

OUCH! :eek: I just loked at the price on that Williams sight! That's more than I paid for the rifle! Oh, well. Maybe next year I'll be able to afford it. Things are pretty tight these days...

makdaddy03
May 24, 2003, 01:05 PM
New Glasses maybe?:evil:

cratz2
May 24, 2003, 03:59 PM
I have mixed feelings regarding starting off with iron sights of some sort vs. starting off with a scope. I've used scopes pretty much forever and I really wish I had been started with iron sights. When my buddies and I get together to shoot some military rifles, I am severely shown up though I usually don't need to make excuses with scoped rifles.

On the other hand, many have reported scopes being less frustrating than iron sights, esp for the youngest shooters. I believe when it's time to start my oldest in serious rifle shooting, I will use a scoped rifle first to build confidence then quickly switch over to iron sights to use for a while then back to the scoped rifle. Nothing wrong with variety.

It is a shame that rifle makers see fit to supply iron sights on many of their rifles but use sights which generally cost less than a dollar. I mean, either supply decent sights or leave them off. In my opinion anyway.

Andrew Wyatt
May 24, 2003, 04:22 PM
a first rifle needs to have iron sights, but GOOD iron sights.

get a williams reciever sight and put it on the gun, and call it good.

I'd also check for proper stock fit.

DMK
May 24, 2003, 07:11 PM
IMO, kids should shoot with iron sights first. They have the eyes for it. Leave the fancy magnified optics as an equalizer for us old folks! :neener:

That said, my 10 year old nephew can see and shoot better with irons than I can with a 6x scope! :(

Crimper-D
May 24, 2003, 11:02 PM
A 30's era Marlin mag fed (8 rounds .22LR) autoloader - a model 3C that I got cheap because the original peepsights were history... I mounted a Williams 5D peepsight as a replacement, and the old rifle is a tackdriver. :D

zxc
May 24, 2003, 11:48 PM
Id say let them learn the iron sight first, scope later. check motivation, technique and willingness to learn,a positive experience...etc.

WonderNine
May 25, 2003, 02:17 AM
Get a cheap 4X scope. It'll be alot more accurate. Mine has a scope, my father's stainless one has a scope. I wouldn't want to bother shooting one without a scope.

Selfdfenz
May 27, 2003, 05:09 PM
Doubt anyone is still following the thread but with a scope on his CZ Scout my 7 yo was pretty well clobbering the 100 meter paper ram at 100 yards.

He was really working on all aspects of the basics.

Pretty soon the target will come closer and the scope will go...for a while. Wish my range had a 50 yard range.

Anyway, he is loving it and so am I. He shot up all the "good" ammo I brought to the range and left me with the Federal HPs I intended to shoot in my MKII.
Take care all.

S-

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
May 27, 2003, 06:18 PM
Seems to me that every Marlin Model 60 I've seen has a 3/8 inch rail on the top of the receiver. Try any cheap 4x scope with tip-off rings and it'll be a vast improvement.

Tasco comes to mind first under 'cheap'. You should be able to find the whole deal, scope and rings, for under $35.

Regards,
Rabbit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nice little .22 rifle, but lousy sights. Ideas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!