Firing the FNP9...

PDA

Stephen A. Camp
December 3, 2006, 02:09 AM
Hello. Today I fired the FNP9 for the first time. I had heard and read pretty good things about these pistols and decided to find out for myself.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/FNP9righttile1.jpg
Though reportedly available in other than the conventional DA/SA that my gun is, I have not seen one. My pistol is double-action for the first shot with subsequent shots being fired single-action.

The gun has a polymer frame with all steel parts being stainless. It is my understanding that the pistol is also available with a dark finish covering the stainless. I have not seen one and have no idea how well the dark finish does or doesn't hold up.

It is my understanding that Browning is also marketing this pistol as the Browning Pro-9.

I fired the pistol at 7, 10, and 15 yards today and over 450 shots were fired. There were no malfunctions whatsoever.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/Ammunition/FNP910ydtarg1.jpg
This 10-yard group was fired from a standing position using a two-hand hold and in single-action slow-fire. Ammunition was Fiocchi 115-gr. FMJ. POA was nicely regulated to POI.

The pistol was also fired at 15 yards for group using Federal 115-gr. JHP. For this, I was seated and my wrists were braced. It is the best way that I have to try and gauge the gun's mechanical accuracy.

For a more "practical" test, the pistol was fired quickly, starting from a low ready at 7 yards. The first shot was fired double-action and failure-to-stop drills were practiced. Ammunition used was Winchester 127-gr. Ranger +P+. It was chosen for a couple of reasons: It has a bit more recoil than other rounds fired today and it is a favorite "serious" load that I trust. The gun was fired with both FMJ and JHP ammunition ranging from 115 to 147-gr. in bullet weight.

The pistol showed no readily apparent favoritism to any of the loads tried today...at least not in my hands. It grouped nicely with all.

There were no malfunctions at all. Extraction and ejection were positive. Feeding was flawless and "slick" with all of the ammunition
shot. Each 16-shot magazine worked fine and there were no failures of the slide to lock back after the last shot was fired. Neither was there any premature slide-lock while rounds were still in the magazine.

Though I remain pretty well wedded to the single-action automatic, I do believe that the FNP9 is a very fine example of the polymer-framed DA/SA genre of handguns and that folks interested in such a pistol might be well advised to take a hard look at the FNP9.

The price was a bit over $400 and the gun came with three 16-shot magazines, including the one in the pistol. In other words, it came with two spares! (I have read that the Browning version comes with one extra magazine.)

For those interested in a more detailed report including chronograph results, it can be found here:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/taking_a_look_at_the_fnp9_pistol.htm

Best.

If you enjoyed reading about "Firing the FNP9..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kmrcstintn
December 3, 2006, 01:56 PM
I wish to graciously thank you for your continued contributions both on the different forum sites and your own site; I did own an FNP-9 for a while, but felt that I wanted a 'smaller' 9mm for CCW (Beretta 9000S); as usual, it was an impulsive decision as I have not waivered from CCW with my S&W 642-2; now I wish I had kept the FNP-9; I don't dislike my Beretta, but it has been finicky with factory Winchester brass with a few FTE's and the FNP-9 ran flawlessly with whatever I fed it, including aluminum-cased and steel-cased ammunition;

I will always fall back on my revolvers for ultimate reliability and I also enjoy your support and testing of the .38 snub platform; my current ammo choice for the snub revo platform is rather unorthodox compared to most folks...Hornady XTP 125 grain .38 spl (non +p); here's my logic...

I used to frequent a shop that employs former LEO's and from their experience they felt that +p in a snub (especially lightweight) only created problems with increased muzzle flash, increased muzzle flip, increased audible report, and slower acquisition for followup shots;

in lieu of the highly prized (out-of-production) Federal Nyclad 125 grain .38 spl (non +p), they felt that Hornady offered similar results; I also used the testing results from this article since I was seeking a non +p that was heavier than the ill-fated 110 grain loads:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/pocket_dynomite/index.html

***these tests were done before the advent of the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain load and the CorBon DPX 110 grain load...I haven't tested either one to compare to the Hornady load***

Thank you for continued testing and insights

VHinch
December 3, 2006, 05:01 PM
I've been looking seriously at these. Thanks for the review.

V

MMMike
December 3, 2006, 11:00 PM
Mr. Camp, I would also like to thank you for your informative handgun reviews. Your information was a big help when I decided to look into purchasing a Hi-Power. The Hi-Power is my favorite pistol for target shooting. About a year ago I purchased an FNP-9 to use in USPSA competition (just local, once a month, for fun). I have put over 3000 rounds through it without a single failure. I had my gunsmith measure the trigger pull, DA was 8.5 lbs., and SA was 4 lbs. I have found it to be an excellent tactical shooter.

I have the black finish.
http://www.freespaces.com/laliqueinformation/Dump/fnp9-12.jpg

I practice 2 or 3 times a week with many draw and dry-fire repetitions per sessions. The gun has been in and out of a leather holster many thousands of times. Upon close examination, there is no wear on the finish. The matte finish might be slightly shiny on the sharp edges, but really, it looks like new.
http://www.freespaces.com/laliqueinformation/Dump/muzzlel1.jpg

I don’t know any specifics about the materials or process used for the finish, but I think they got it right.

I am looking forward to seeing the 45 that will be coming out soon. If it is anything like the 9, it will be my next pistol.:)

Stephen A. Camp
December 3, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hello and thanks for the kind words. Thank you also for your informative post on your pistol as it has been fired considerably more than mine at this time.

Best.

Wyndage
December 4, 2006, 11:11 AM
I'm an H&K guy, but I think that the FNP might be the best polymer-framed pistol on the market. In my experience, you just can't make these guns stop working, and the SA trigger is among the best out there.

I just wish I could find leather for it.

kmrcstintn
December 4, 2006, 04:16 PM
I got a bit off track and forgot to mention some 'aesthetic' observations vs 'hands-on' realization...

when I first handled the FNP-9 that I eventually purchased, I was thrown by the overall lightness of the weapon and flexibility of the polymer in the grip...it seemed 'fragile' to me...

this is the complete opposite of the truth...I had learned that Belgin police forces had chosen the FNP-9M variant as their sidearm and I took another look and then dived in...the gun is robust where it counts and yet still offers an overall lightweight that I haven't found in any other polymer frame gun (as I stated, I highly regret that I let mine go);

the interchangable backstraps and 3 factory hi-cap magazines (robust design and execution for maximum reliability) was a defininte bonus; the trigger characteristics felt similar to a Sig Sauer to me and felt smoother the more I shot the gun;

Thank you for indulging me with another posting. Later!

Correia
December 4, 2006, 04:44 PM
The FNP has actually turned out to be one of our best selling pistols. The only handgun we sell more of is the XD.

Of all of those, we've only had one with any problem. It ejects some back into the shooter's face about once every magazine. The owner sent it back to FN, and you can see where the made some mods to the ejector. But it is still doing it.

I'm going to take it back and see if I can do something with it.

Other than that one though, they've been great guns.

ugaarguy
December 4, 2006, 04:59 PM
MMMike, the finish on your FNP looks incredible for the round count. Would you mind telling us how much time does it spend in a holster, and what type of holster?

Thanks,
-Uga

Clean97GTI
December 4, 2006, 05:05 PM
I purchased an FNP9 for a former girlfriend (well, she wasnt former at the time) after she really enjoyed shooting my FN Forty-Nine and CZ75B. She prefered the ergonomics of the Forty-Nine, but the sharp .40S&W kick was a bit much for her. She immediately took a liking to the feel of the FNP9 and the deal was done.

We bought some mil-surp 9mm at a gun show and went shooting the next day. She actually wanted me to shoot first and I was happy to oblige. The gun felt very natural in the hand, recoil was on par with most other plastic 9mm weapons I've fired. No feed and no ejection problems. Double tap drills are a joy with this gun.
I don't have the targets anymore, but at 7 and 10 yards, it wasn't difficult at all to keep them in the head of an evil silhouette target.

What really impressed me is how comfortable my ex was with the gun. She immediately took to it, all the controls were within easy reach for her. The recoil was soft enough that she didn't complain and was able to be accurate on torso shots. A great gun overall. I'd purchase it over any other poly-framed semi-compact currently on the market.
In fact, I'm considering trading my current FN Forty-Nine in on one since deciding to standardize on 9mm.

http://www.horstheld.com/FN-49.jpg
Mine is the black slide in .40 and I think I want to trade it in for this.
http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/guns_525px/fn_hg_fnp9m.gif

Shipwreck
December 4, 2006, 08:36 PM
Nice gun man!

Lord Bodak
December 4, 2006, 09:58 PM
I saw the FNP-40 for the first time yesterday and I nearly walked out the door with it. They had the stainless model in SA (safety lever only, no decock), and the black model in DA/SA (decock lever only, no safety). The black one may be my next purchase. I don't _need_ another .40 (I have a USP Compact), but I just loved the way this one looked and felt.

MMMike
December 4, 2006, 10:37 PM
ugaarguy,

The holster I use is a Blackhawk CQC Leather Slide Holster. The FNP is very close in size to the Sig229, just slightly longer. Most holsters for the 229 will work very well for the FNP-9.

http://www.freespaces.com/laliqueinformation/Dump/fnp9inholster2.jpg

As far as how much time it spends in the holster, it lives in it. The FNP doubles as my HD gun and I rigged some clips that hold the holster in back of the nightstand.

And Mr. Camp,

Right click on this link and do a "save target as" for an exploded view. pro9-40parts.pdf (http://www.freespaces.com/laliqueinformation/Dump/pro940parts.pdf) I got this from the Browning site in the 2005 parts catalouge. I can't figure out how to remove the firing pin either. It may just take force once you push the pin in all the way, but I'm not willing to find out.

Ohen Cepel
December 4, 2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the review!

I really like the fact that it comes with 3 mags! Wish others would do that.

Also, like the fact that it's priced so well. I don't understand why an established polymer pistol should run into the $600 price range.

I'll have to look into the FN more.

joneb
December 4, 2006, 11:43 PM
I've been giveing the XD-45's some thought, but I can see FNH is worth a look. I have a Makarov and like all the functions except the mag release. I really like the interchangable backstrap idea :) Glock must be envious, this was one reason I sold my Glock, as it pointed way high, and the lack safe modes made me nervous :eek: and leary of the XD, it would'nt be such a issue if this were my only type of handgun.
Thanks Mr Camp for your review.

VorpalSpork
December 5, 2006, 01:07 AM
...[FNP-9] offers an overall lightweight that I haven't found in any other polymer frame gun.

The Glock 19 (http://www.teamglock.com/Glock-Buyers-Guide/Glock-19.htm) weighs 4.21oz less than the FNP-9 (http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/hg_p9.htm).

Stephen A. Camp
December 5, 2006, 05:32 AM
Hello, MMMike, and thanks for the link.

Best.

lawson4
December 5, 2006, 09:09 AM
To remove the striker:
If you look at the underside of the slide you will see a slot that the striker lug sticks out of. In front of the lug you can see a spring and a piece of plastic. Push the plastic part towards the front of the slide and while holding it there, lift the tail cap from the end of the slide and remove the striker.
To replace the striker, reverse the steps.

Rick

MMMike
December 5, 2006, 02:12 PM
Lawson4,

I don't have the gun in front of me now, but I'm quite sure that there are no plastic parts or visible springs in the slide. You are talking about the FNPs, aren't you?

If I'm missing something, could you post a pic?

Thanks

lawson4
December 5, 2006, 10:29 PM
I don't have the means to post a picture,:( but I will try to find a link, later.

The FNP family of pistols are all hammer guns. On the Forty_Nine, the slide has an opening on the underside for the striker to engage the sear. The spring I refer to is the striker return spring; its wire dia is very small. Also, at the raduis end of the slot is a black piece of plastic; its the striker guide. When you push the guide forward you are compressing the striker spring, so there is some resistance. By compressing the spring you relieve the force holding the back plate in the back of the guide.
I'll try to find additional info.

lawson4

gotime242
December 6, 2006, 11:21 AM
Ive had mine since april and i love it! Only a 1000 rds or so through it, but not a single malf! Not to mention its just so damn sexy...

kmrcstintn
December 7, 2006, 02:02 AM
TOUCHE!!!

I'll have to take your word for it since Glocks and I don't mesh well because of the 'unnatural' grip angle on Glock frames (Gens I, II, III) and I haven't paid attention to such details about Glocks;

me disclaimer follows==>

***grip angle is 'unnatural' to me since I wheened into the shooting sports utilizing 1911's, medium-framed DA revolvers, Beretta 92's, and Ruger semiautos...all have the 'Browning" grip angle***

crudmucosa
January 7, 2007, 12:00 AM
Hi all,

I picked up an FN FNP-9 recently after reading great reviews in various magazines and websites (and Bass Pro had an awesome sale on it). I've put 100 rounds worth of Remington/UMC 115gr. FMJ ammo and had consistent malfunctions with the last couple of rounds (14-16 when I used fully charged magazines). The malfunctions were failure to feed/chamber (rounds would get stuck half chambered up the feed ramp). This happened with all three magazines. Also, ejection was pretty much straight back into my face (it wasn't too bad, but it was annoying). Has anyone else had this issue? I'm taking it out tomorrow and will try other ammo as well. Should I contact FN to ask for replacement mags?

Despite these problems, the FNP is definitely a shooter! Crazy accurate and no real recoil (I'm a .45 shooter so shooting 9mm feels like a bb gun).

Thanks for any help you guys and gals can provide!

--Desmond

Stephen A. Camp
January 7, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hello. I'd try it with some other ammunition just to be sure before getting new magazines. Perhaps it is just the ammo. Of late, I've read several reports of folks having problems with Remington UMC 9mm ammo. I've not shot any of the newer lots of it so I cannot say first-hand on this.

It should not kick the fired cases back in your face. Mine ejects to right and drops cases pretty consistently in the same area.

Best and good luck.

crudmucosa
January 7, 2007, 12:18 AM
Ah, thanks! I was thinking it might just be the ammo. I'll give it a go with a selection of practice and defense ammo tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks again!

--Desmond

Stephen A. Camp
January 7, 2007, 12:21 AM
Hello. Please let us know what you find. My "sample" on FNP9 reliability is just the one that I bought.

Best and thanks in advance.

crudmucosa
January 9, 2007, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Finally got out to shoot the FNP-9 again today. Much better experience this time!

Put 170 rounds of mixed ammo (UMC 115gr FMJ [gave me problems last time], Magtech 115gr FMJ, Speer GoldDot 115gr GDHP). Every round fired fine, only a few ejected cases back at me (as opposed to about half the rounds I shot the first time I took it out), and the slide locked back every time I ran empty (as opposed to almost never the first time).

Fine gun, that FNP. I guess it just needed a break-in period (I'm used to that with most of my other handguns, just wasn't used the kind of failures this gun was having out of the box).

Thanks for the help!

Catbird
January 9, 2007, 09:11 PM
I would love to see some head-to-head comparisons between the FNP9 and the Beretta PX4 Storm. They seem to share some of the same basic features.

http://www.gundirectory.com/guns/20164-1.jpg

crudmucosa
January 9, 2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah, that would be cool.

The Cx4, S&W M&P, FN FNP, Walther/Smith P99, and Kimber's KPD are all kinda similar (thought the Cx4 uses a rotary lockup which is kind of whacky). I've read reviews of almost all of these with the exception of the KPD.

If anyone is willing to loan/buy me all of these guns I'd be happy to do a review :)

solvability
January 9, 2007, 10:22 PM
Is the FN a SSP category in IDPA?

crudmucosa
January 9, 2007, 10:41 PM
Here's a copy and paste job from the rulebook:

2. Stock Service Pistol Division (SSP)
Handguns permitted for use in this division must:
A. Be semi-automatic.
B. Be double action, double action only, or safe action (when
the trigger is pulled, the hammer/striker is cocked and then
released).
C. Be 9mm (9x19) or larger caliber.
D. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 39oz., including an
empty magazine. (Will be effective January 25, 2006)
E. Have a minimum annual production of 2000 units;
(discontinued models must have had a total production of
20,000 units).
F. Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8”
with an empty magazine inserted.
G. Be loaded to the division capacity of ten (10) rounds in the
magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Should division
capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine
capacity, load to maximum mechanical capacity of magazine
plus one (1) round in the chamber. Competitors must use the
same capacity magazines through out the competition
(Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine, you must use
that capacity magazine throughout the match).
H. Begin hammer down for selective DA/SA pistols.

I think the FNP fits into that category.

Edgarjraz
July 16, 2007, 01:24 AM
After shooting my friends FNP-9 (His is like the one pictured that Clean97GTI wants to trade for, All black with Silver Barrel, Mag Release Button, Slide Lock, and De-Cocker) It was Sweet I was nocking down soup cans easy at a little over 10 yards. Mine acme ALL BLACK like MMMike's. It must have come off the assembly line just before or after crudmucosa's cuz I have had the same problems:

crudmucosa said:

"I've put 100 rounds worth of Remington/UMC 115gr. FMJ ammo and had consistent malfunctions with the last couple of rounds (14-16 when I used fully charged magazines). The malfunctions were failure to feed/chamber (rounds would get stuck half chambered up the feed ramp). This happened with all three magazines. Also, ejection was pretty much straight back into my face (it wasn't too bad, but it was annoying). Has anyone else had this issue?"

Mine is ejecting more than 50% at my face one caught me just below the eye. Thank goodness for eye protection, has had numerous Fails to fully feed on #15 (usually #14, #15 or last bullet in 16rd mag) and the Slide lock does not fully engage with notch frequently after last round either allowing slide to close or when new mag is popped in it self chambers.

What the "If You See Kay". A very frustrating first experiance with this Handgun.

I studied and compared (with the slide off) my FNP-9 and my buddies. I have noticed a couple things. Not sure if all are related to my problems but suspicious and interesting.

Forgive me now, if I am not using the correct "terms" for the parts but here goes:

If I insert an empty mag in the gun I can see that the black plastic "Bullet Bed" inside the mag is what lifts the Slide Stop Lever to a "full up position" thus locking the slide open after the last round. However if I depress the "Bullet Bed" down a little and then release the bullet bed, the Slide Stop Lever does not came back to a "full up position" as it does if you insert an empty mag. I suspect this could be connected with the failure to feed on Rd #16 (but what about #14 & #15) and the failure of the Slide Stop lever to fully engage the slide after the last round. Causing some not open after last rounds and the self chambering when the next mag is popped in. My buddies comes all the way back up after depressing the "Bullet Bed" a little. This happens with all 3 - 16 round Mags his was a 10 Round. My conclusion is Weak springs in the mags or too strong Slide Stop Lever Spring. (just realized I need to try his 10 rd mag in my frame and my 16 rd Mags in his) any comments or thoughts?

Next his Barrel is notched/ beveled on the bottom on one side of the radiused protrusion.

His Recoils Spring is Blue, mine is Orange.

Quite a few pieces of the Fire Control Housing are different in his and mine. If I remember correctly the Sear and the Trigger Bar Disconnect Lever for example. The feel of his Decock lever is almost a 2 stage with a click to it. Mine feels smooth consistent.

FYI, I did clean the gun before taking it out the first time and have cleaned after and still have the Slide Stop Issue described above.

FYI, I shot more than a 100 rounds this first time with it. As I recall the last 3 - 16 rounders had no Fail to Feed problems but still Straight Back Ejects. More "Break In Time" required????

Crudmucosa said:

"Put 170 rounds of mixed ammo (UMC 115gr FMJ [gave me problems last time], Magtech 115gr FMJ, Speer GoldDot 115gr GDHP). Every round fired fine, only a few ejected cases back at me (as opposed to about half the rounds I shot the first time I took it out), and the slide locked back every time I ran empty (as opposed to almost never the first time).

Fine gun, that FNP. I guess it just needed a break-in period (I'm used to that with most of my other handguns, just wasn't used the kind of failures this gun was having out of the box)."

I guess I will need to try some other ammo as crudmucosa did, but MY buddy and I were both feeing the same exact ammo in our guns his was fine, mine was not, and any eject in the face is unacceptable to me.

Send the S.O.B. Back??? wouldn't ya know this would happen to my first new gun purchase off the Internet. $$$$$$ Time.....

Would appreciate your thoughts comments....PM me

Endyo
March 23, 2009, 03:57 PM
In response to Clean97GTI:

"We bought some mil-surp 9mm at a gun show and went shooting the next day. She actually wanted me to shoot first and I was happy to oblige. The gun felt very natural in the hand, recoil was on par with most other plastic 9mm weapons I've fired. No feed and no ejection problems. Double tap drills are a joy with this gun.
I don't have the targets anymore, but at 7 and 10 yards, it wasn't difficult at all to keep them in the head of an evil silhouette target.

What really impressed me is how comfortable my ex was with the gun. She immediately took to it, all the controls were within easy reach for her. The recoil was soft enough that she didn't complain and was able to be accurate on torso shots. A great gun overall. I'd purchase it over any other poly-framed semi-compact currently on the market."

I just bought the FNP-9 DA/SA in the Stainless two-tone. It's a beautiful gun, and I was excited to take it to the range for the first time. It fits really nice in the hand, and handles well. I have about 150 rounds through it with two trips to the range. Both times I shot it I had no issues with misfeeds, or jams. However, the recoil on mine is ridiculous for a 9mm. With other polymer handguns I've shot such as the Glock 19 and HK USP Full Size I've had no trouble with the recoil or shooting sub 1 inch groups at 5-7 yards. I can't try hard enough to manage the recoil and keep my FNP groupings 4 inches or less at the same 5-7 yards.

Now I'm not trying to take anything away from the FNP, and this seems to be an uncommon issue from what I've been reading.

My girlfriend has gone to the range with me and shot my full size Taurus PT1911 in .45, and is more scared to shoot my FNP-9mm. Any advice? Has anyone ever come across this issue? :(

Considering trading this gun for a Glock 19...

rellascout
March 23, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have no problems with mine.... I consider it a soft shooter...

What type of grip are you using?

HoosierQ
March 23, 2009, 04:36 PM
I never see these things. I didn't make not of where you all were from but I have yet to see one of these in person here in Central Indiana. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...which is true. I am kind of wanting to see the FNP 45 especially.

EAJ
March 23, 2009, 04:38 PM
It is my understanding that Browning is also marketing this pistol as the Browning Pro-9.

Yes, come and gone. :)

http://fishkind.com/collection/images/brownpro9_01.jpg

Spyvie
March 23, 2009, 07:01 PM
I have no problems with mine.... I consider it a soft shooter...
+1

Mine shoots like butter...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/spyvie/Pistols044.jpg

Texastbird
March 23, 2009, 07:29 PM
Endyo, I have a PT1911 and a FNP40 and my wife likes to shoot both weapons, with the .40S&W having a little more "pop" to it. In 9mm I would have thought it would be a real pussycat to shoot. Do you think it might have a weak recoil spring?

NG VI
March 24, 2009, 02:35 AM
Why is it that the Browning version has a safety and can be carried cocked and locked but the FN version can't? I always thought they were exactly the same except for the name on the slide?

I've got an FNP-9M, I really like it, it has been completely reliable for me so far and is a very good size for carry. Also the sights seem to line themselves up very naturally and easily, and I do like the SA trigger quite a bit. The DA trigger is about the best of my DA/SA guns as well.

Casefull
March 24, 2009, 10:43 PM
I recently purchased the fnp45. I liked the idea of 3 14 round mags included and the da/sa is a plus. The metal tabs on the poly frame are much thicker and longer than the tabs on my glock 20. Shoots great as long as I do not compare it to my 1911 kimber.

crudmucosa
March 24, 2009, 11:25 PM
I've gotta say that my FNP 9 is one of the softest shooting pistols I own using most any load I put through it. I've trained folks of all sizes using the FNP and none have had any recoil issues. It has some reliability issues if I don't clean it and the shooter limp-wrists it, but otherwise, it is accurate and pretty much runs like a clock.

I thought about getting an FNP 45 awhile back (I am a big fan of the .45 ACP; 1911's are my favorite handgun). When I laid eyes upon and then tried to get my dainty little hand around it, thoughts of buying went right out of the window! That piece is /huge/! Read good reviews though.

EAJ
March 25, 2009, 01:47 PM
Why is it that the Browning version has a safety and can be carried cocked and locked but the FN version can't? I always thought they were exactly the same except for the name on the slide?

Actually, it can't. The safety that you refer to on the Browning is actually a decocker.

Spyvie
March 25, 2009, 02:38 PM

The Browning was discontinued quite a while ago. It had a safety and there were some differences with the sear setup along with a few other things. There is a current USP version of the FNP with a safety, but I've never had a chance to play with one.

Endyo
March 26, 2009, 03:07 PM
Using the stock grips. I've also considered that it may be an issue on the internal parts...maybe the recoil spring or something along those lines. I've called FN Herstal USA twice this week left a message both times, and still no response.

I'm going to keep my hopes up, but I already have a Glock 19 coming in the mail. Got it for $530 shipped + Four 15 rd mags. : )

ReelFaith
March 26, 2009, 10:44 PM
So, I have a Springfield XDM 9mm and love it. How does the FN-9 compare? Is $470 a good price for this model? Do I even need another 9mm or should I buy another 45 or a soon to be banned variant?

mity2
December 24, 2011, 10:30 PM
I know this is an old thread that I'm reviving.

I recently picked up a new FNP9 for $399 for my mother(she babysits my 1y/o when I'm working on night shift. figured she could use some night stand gun when she is in my house with noone else around).

I love everything about this weapon. Infact, so much so that I think I'm gonna get a dual tone version for myself. Its accurate, great trigger, and fits hand nicely.

Just wonderful weapon for great price. don't understand why more people don't have it.

My only issue - and really annoying one at that - is that it spits empties back straight to my forehead. about one in 3~4 rds.
Important thing is that its ejecting, and loading the next round. But when it hits my forehead, it HURTS!
And my mother would never want to train with this weapon if I can't fix that.

So do any of you figured out whats the issue with that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Firing the FNP9..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!