Help with revolver history: Rohm RG10s

PDA

swidgen
December 3, 2006, 01:34 AM
A good friend of mine has offered me a pretty neat little gun. If anyone can tell me anything about it I would appreciate it. This would be my first gun, so please tell me the obvious also.

Markings (handle): Rohm, other side RG10s

Barrel: Cal. 22 short, stamped insignia "ccc"? in a cross type design with an "n" underneath it (same insignia on the body), Rohm G.M.R.H. Sontheim/BR., made in Germany

Body: "63" with an antler insignia and the "ccc/n" thing.

Thanks in advance

Swidgen

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with revolver history: Rohm RG10s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RON in PA
December 3, 2006, 02:03 AM
Your friend is no friend of yours, that revolver is the prototypical Saturday night special. Don't get it. Calling it garbage is to complement it.

Trebor
December 3, 2006, 03:02 AM
I agree. Pass on that gun. The materials and workmanship are substandard.

Preacherman
December 3, 2006, 08:17 AM
Rohm has an absolutely ghastly reputation - and it's well-deserved. Don't go near that thing!

XavierBreath
December 3, 2006, 08:57 AM
Rohm RG10. What a gun!

The history of Rohm began in Bulgaria where goats were bred to have muscular intestines. These goats were fed ferrous and alloy scrap metal and kept in huge mountainous pastures. Each day afterwards, the peasant farmers would gather Rohm revolvers among the toadstools.

Avoid this gun. Do not buy it. Don't even accept it if it is given to you! It is one of the worst guns available, and even if it does function, it will not function for long. There are much better guns out there, some for the same money. If you want an inexpensive first gun, simply state your budget and desires. You will get a plethora of helpful replies.

MCgunner
December 3, 2006, 09:20 AM
Oh, it'll go bang, about once out of every three or four tries...:rolleyes: I had one I think I got out of a cracker jack box. I was elated it wasn't another fake tattoo. But, after trying it, I traded it for a fake tattoo.

Seriously, I had one. It was a Gibson's discount on sale for under 30 bucks back in the day and I just had to try it. It looked a lot like a blank pistol, but wasn't as reliable. I never found a hole in a target, though, probably would have hit better with the blank pistol.

SDC
December 3, 2006, 09:42 AM
Your particular one was made in Germany in 1963, and imported before the cut-off imposed by the "Gun Control Act of 1968"; as noted, only slightly better than a rock or a pointy stick, but they sold well enough that RG Industries was set up in Florida to manufacture the exact same designs that could no longer be imported from overseas.

Onmilo
December 3, 2006, 09:56 AM
History of the RG revolver,,,,,
This was the pre 1968 German revolver version of the Jennings J-22 semi automatic pistol.
There is nothing neat about these guns.
They are junk.

pharmer
December 3, 2006, 10:07 AM
I had one I paid all of $1o for. Would not hit a gallon jug from 5 feet, would not fire reliabl. Pin fell out and barrel shroud fell off. Fell in a local lake when fishing about 10 years ago and that's where it belongs. Joe

Tijeras_Slim
December 3, 2006, 10:23 AM
It's not a revolver, it's a handheld pipebomb.

joab
December 3, 2006, 10:25 AM
I usually defend the guns that others call junk, but in this case their reputation is well deserved.

I bought one NIB and unfired many many years ago, the same one you are talking about.

It never failed to fire or gave me any malfunctions.
But every time I shot it i felt a sensation of sand blowing in my face.
For some reason one day (I only had it for about a month) I had my left hand up when I fired it.

I found out what the sand was.
The gun was so badly timed that it was shaving lead and blowing it back in every direction.

Shards of lead went so far into my hand that they had to be cut out.

I tried to give it to a gunsmith I knew as a parts gun and he laughed at me.

I told him if he didn't want it he could smack it with a hammer.
The gun broke into three or four pieces when he did.

You know that lady that is always shrieking about guns being dangerous, she's talking about RGs

MCgunner
December 3, 2006, 11:05 AM
I had one I paid all of $1o for. Would not hit a gallon jug from 5 feet, would not fire reliabl. Pin fell out and barrel shroud fell off. Fell in a local lake when fishing about 10 years ago and that's where it belongs. Joe

You might have gotten $50, maybe even $100 dollars for it in one of those by back things the big cities put on to "get the guns off the street" from time to time. If I lived in LA, I'd buy every one of these little POSs I could find for ten bucks and make a living at it. :D

Harry Paget Flashman
December 3, 2006, 11:50 AM
My brother-in-law gave me one in the 70's. It reliably spit lead everywhere... 360. My biggest regret was giving it away myself. I should have taken a ball peen hammer to it and sent it to a landfill.

highlander 5
December 3, 2006, 12:09 PM
my cousin had one. safest place to be when fired in front of it:what: :what: :what:

Hutch
December 3, 2006, 12:15 PM
Now, now. That was my first ever handgun (age 11, iirc). I traded 2 boxes of 12ga ammo for it. I got took to the cleaners. Even tho' it's a .22 short, an enterprising (stupid) young person can take a .22LR HP, file down the bullet so that the OAL is less than the cylinder, and have some REAL fun with that revolver. Just don't ask me how I know.

Ala Dan
December 3, 2006, 12:31 PM
" = less than junk" :D :eek:

MCgunner
December 3, 2006, 12:59 PM
I've owned a lot of junky guns that actually worked or had some other redeeming quality, but not the RG revolver. I tossed it, small loss.

swidgen
December 3, 2006, 01:00 PM
I love this forum already! Thanks for the info. I was going to take it down to the range today but I think I will pass. He said I could have it but I think I will pass. It certainly fit my budget (free) but I will start a new thread regarding a good bang for the buck first time revolver.

MCgunner
December 3, 2006, 01:20 PM
Want a first time bang for the buck revolver, look to Rossi. Quality for about as little money as you can buy it. It's no Smith and Wesson, but then, it's no RG either.:D They time well, last well, shoot well, just lack the refined look and DA trigger of higher priced guns.

I don't know if there's anything offered today that's as junky as the RG revolver was, thank goodness. I'm always buying cheap guns, so I kinda know what works and what don't. There's some good stuff on the market, quality stuff like the Rossis and pot metal stuff that works anyway. There's also still some junk even I wouldn't have, but nothing like the RG revolver that's actually dangerous to fire.

Carl N. Brown
December 3, 2006, 01:52 PM
It is an historical (bad) example of the classic Saturday Night
Special and may be blamed for inspiring the 1968 Gun Control Act.
A curio, a relic, but not a shooting, working firearm.

The 1968 Gun Control Act got those low power (.22 short),
inaccurate, unreliable, unsafe and cheap revolvers off the
market, so when today's criminal steals a gun to use or
sell to a fence, he knows he's getting a powerful, accurate,
reliable, safe and more expensive weapon, because that is
what is left on the market.

hpg
December 3, 2006, 02:35 PM
it's a piece of **** revolver..............pass it up.........hpg

Carl N. Brown
December 3, 2006, 02:42 PM
An RG10 will make ANY other gun look good by comparison.
Since I own a CZ52, a Mauser C96 and a Webley (they should
star in a movie "The Ugly, the Ugly and the Ugly"), an RG10
in the collection would make them feel better about their looks.

Ala Dan
December 3, 2006, 02:51 PM
on the Rossi~!:) Fine little revolvers for the money.:D

Deanimator
December 3, 2006, 06:03 PM
A guy brought one of their .38 Specials to the practical of the CCW class I took, Thursday night.

As everyone else has said, they're a piece of crap.

Strangely, I think they made a .44 Magnum, and or a .45LC for about five minutes in the '70s.

Jim March
December 3, 2006, 08:23 PM
A 44maggie Rohm.

The mind boggles, right after puking.

The only way I'd fire such a thing is with a bench vice and 100yds of string.

jad0110
December 3, 2006, 10:03 PM
The history of Rohm began in Bulgaria where goats were bred to have muscular intestines. These goats were fed ferrous and alloy scrap metal and kept in huge mountainous pastures. Each day afterwards, the peasant farmers would gather Rohm revolvers among the toadstools.

XavierBreath,

That is, without a doubt, one of the most hilarious statements I have ever read on THR! Well done! :D

Guess the best you could say of a Rohm is that it'd probably hurt if you threw at a bad guy. Then again, it might come unglued in midair.

Swidgen,

MCGunner offers good advice on the Rossi. I'd also recommend a used Taurus, they can be had on the cheap as well, plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Then again, depending on what part of the country you live in, their are TONS of S&W Model 10s on the market. A Model 10 in fine mechanical condition with a fair finish can be had for under $200. Maybe less. Go check out a gunshow in your area and have a look around. Make yourself familiar with Jim March's revolver checkout procedure at the top of the Revolver forum.

Here is an example of a Model 10 (well, pre-model 10 designation) at gunbroker for $200:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61468037

foghornl
December 4, 2006, 01:52 PM
...a bench vice and 100yds of string

Actually, Jim, if you are talking about a .44Mag RG, I think your string is about 150 Yards short... :evil: :D

I have owned a few different RG's over the years, and most of them sent at least as much lead sideways and back toward the operator as they sent downrange.

I do currently have a .38Spl 'snubby' RG that shoots decently, but I don't put any load even remotely hot in it. The PMC brand of 132-gr or so FMJ round nose works about the best in it.

CZ.22
December 4, 2006, 04:40 PM
Got an RG .32 S&WL. It's never failed to fire and accuracy isn't all that bad. But it is a piece of ****. The history of Rohm began in Bulgaria where goats were bred to have muscular intestines. These goats were fed ferrous and alloy scrap metal and kept in huge mountainous pastures. Each day afterwards, the peasant farmers would gather Rohm revolvers among the toadstools. Actually, a piece of goat****.

Baba Louie
December 4, 2006, 06:38 PM
My Grandparents, staunch Republicans that they were, were also very anti-gun oriented. (The arguments between my Democrat Dad, who was very pro-gun and my Mom's parents were the stuff from which bizarre dreams are made and still linger to this day)... but I digress.

Grandparents home was broken into by some nefarious teenage type so they had bars installed over every opening and bought... A. Gun. (Which I never saw or heard about)

Fast forward to about a week after my Grandfather's death. My Grandma took me aside and said, "Here Bob. Grandad wanted you to have this." And she told me the entire story.

Yes. An RG10. Pristine. Virginal. Unturned. Sticker tag of $32.95 on the box. An unopened box of WW Wildcat .22's inside as well.

Yes, I did take it out and run a cylinder full through it. Took it home, cleaned it put it away and there it sits to this day.

Anti-gun Repubs who bought a something. Felt safer for doing so. Never loaded it, or (as best I can tell) took it out of it's box. Probably felt safer for doing so.

My Dad and I shared a small chuckle from it all.

My son and daughter know the story.

They can dispose of it someday if they choose. It might even be worth $35 by then. They are forbidden to shoot it. Both have much nicer things that go bang they have received from their father.

jad0110
December 4, 2006, 06:51 PM
'nuff said

:evil:

ScottsGT
December 5, 2006, 09:19 AM
A friend gave me one about 20 years ago. It sat in my gun cabinet for 18 years until I got $50 for it at a local police "Buy Back" If nothing else, take it from your friend and do the same. As a matter of fact, my gun was featured on the news as the type of weapons they were trying to get off the street and " it was a success just to get another Saturday Night Special off the street so no one would get hurt with it". Never mind it was locked up for the past 18 years so that wouldn't happen....:D But what the hey, I got $50 for my Rhom!!

S&Wfan
December 5, 2006, 10:54 AM
Junk!

Janos Dracwlya
December 5, 2006, 08:36 PM
I got a .22LR RG-24 from my brother in the late 80's (actually, it would be more accurate to say I stole it from him, but, hey, what are brothers for?). He got it from the hardware store where worked - another employee left it and a .38 revolver (unknown manufacture - the manager took that one) - for free. By the time I got it, the extractor was broken loose (still worked, though, you had to make sure it didn't fall out), and the rib along the top of the barrel was bent to one side ever so slightly. I never fired real bullets in it, but I did fire a few blanks; it generally took twelve trigger pulls to fire all six shots. In the mid-90's I took it to a nearby gun store to see if it was at all worth repairing. It was not, so I gave it to them to destroy; they gave me $5 for the parts.

A postscript, I told my brother about this a couple of years after disposing of the gun, but he had long since forgotten even owning it, so he just shrugged it off with a laugh.

Confederate
December 5, 2006, 11:41 PM
I love these reviews. I've even thought about becoming a troll, just so I could post messages on RG handguns. Seriously, the gun isn't worth spit, but I'd take one for free as a collector's item. I'm convinced that one day they may actually have some sentimental value for guys who bought them before they got good advice.

I had a single action .22LR that was junk, but I wish I could get one now for next to nothing. It was chrome plated and mostly made from aluminum and pot steel. It had brown plastic grips that were always coming loose. But it was a great gun when I couldn't afford anything better. It always shot, but rarely hit what I aimed for. And even though I have a nice stainless Ruger Single-Six, I always think about the RG when I clean it.

It was lightweight and I never feared losing it or breaking it. But if I had two new ones in the boxes, I'd go get it and look at it every now and again. Remember, though, that the gun I had was vastly superior to the gun you mentioned. RGs are junk. Get a good revolver and you'll find the shooting sports to be wonderful.

http://www.gun-parts.com/rohm/apr28_01.jpg

This is the "deluxe" model of the pistol used to shoot
President Reagan. You can tell because of the gold pimp
grips. The ejector detaches and pokes out all the .22 cases
one by one.

Confederate
December 6, 2006, 12:05 AM
Oh, I just came across this for sale at Guns America and it's priceless. This one is for sale for $110. See the description under the photo.

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976754611-1.jpg

I just purchased this firearm for my wife
a few weeks ago. She put about 36 rounds
into it, and then realized she rather have a
Sig-Sauer after seeing her friend with one.
This is in its original box, works fine, and
again only about 36 shots went through....
Uses .22 Short.

MCgunner
December 6, 2006, 09:41 AM
Rather have a Sig/Sauer? Well, DUH! ROFL!

I never fired real bullets in it, but I did fire a few blanks; it generally took twelve trigger pulls to fire all six shots.

Yeah, I remember how mine went DA....Click..Click...POW....Click....Pow :D

SapperMapper
July 2, 2008, 12:06 AM
My wife's cousin David handed me a box full of parts on Friday. I never knew about RG pistols until today. I just finished putting the thing together - RG10s with white plastic grips. It was fun to learn how a revolver trigger assembly goes together (new to me) but after reading the above comments, and seeing the play in the cylinder, I'd be afraid to ever shoot it. It'll be a curiosity piece - particularly its origin. David's Dad was a retired LEO and passed away Oct. 05. He remembers his Dad messing with it about 10-15 years ago, which means he aquired it while he was on the force. So why did a cop have a crap Saturday Night Special like this?

Tom Servo
July 2, 2008, 02:28 AM
Since I own a CZ52, a Mauser C96 and a Webley (they should star in a movie "The Ugly, the Ugly and the Ugly")
Perhaps not pretty, but they're good firearms.

The Rohm is not.

I've had the displeasure of handling one, a .22lr revolver. The front sight was welded on crooked, and it took an average of 2.5 strikes before primers would be ignited.

I met a guy who'd worked for their American marketing division in the 1960s (?!?), and even he acknowledges that they were junk. There's no real steel in them, and theoretically, you could melt one on a household stove.

Other members have pointed out great "cheap" revolvers, and I couldn't agree more.

theotherwaldo
July 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
If I were you I would accept the gun, just to make sure that your friend doesn't give it to someone that might fire it.

I have enjoyed firing a number of RG pistols. I have not enjoyed firing RG-10s. They are inaccurate, inconsistant, and, in my opinion, dangerous to shoot.

You might keep it to make all of your other guns look better.

Grayrock
July 2, 2008, 04:58 PM
Got one. Hate it. Not accurate. Fires occasionally. Keeping it cause it was my mom's (and my dad dremeled her name and SS# on it.) I took it away from her and gave her a S&W Model 36 instead.

rcmodel
July 2, 2008, 05:14 PM
So why did a cop have a crap Saturday Night Special like this?Probably because he took it away from some punk and beat the crap out of him!

rcmodel

RonC133
July 2, 2008, 09:23 PM
I have an RG23 (given to me.) First time I took it out, my hand cramped from the stiff DA trigger. I have not had any misfires in SA. But, don't recall that I hit anything with it either.

It looks like a gun. But not like a quality gun.

papajohn
July 4, 2008, 04:18 AM
OMG, a thread where EVERYONE agrees on something! :eek:

And I'll concur. I had one. I never even TRIED to shoot it. I dropped it in the deepest part of the lake.............and I felt really bad about it. Even catfish deserve better guns to poop on.

PJ

PzGren
July 4, 2008, 10:24 AM
I had gotten a few .22 l.r. and .38 Special Roehms from law enforcement auctions. A friend with an FFL bought them by the drum and I bought them off him starting at $5 plus tax. Some worked pretty well. One .38 Special with a swing out cylinder wasn't bad at all but I always expected parts failure.

If you can buy it for $20, it's okay but they are not worth a whole lot more, especially with .22 short being kind of expensive.

I actually got a small .22 l.r Roehm because the grip was small enough for my sons to shoot at that time. They were probably 4 years ols and did not aim, just pulled the trigger.

S&Wfan
July 6, 2008, 10:56 PM
I had one in the early '70s. I've always been a decent shot but I couldn't hit the side of a barn with the RG .38 spl.

As a matter of fact, by ten yards that bullets were hitting the targets sideways (keyholing). I'll swear, a 3' group would have been doing good at ten yards. However, as a starving college kid, I delivered emergency fuel oil to rough parts of town at night and needed to have SOME sort of protection.

Eventually, the POS broke a spring so I took it by a gunsmith. His store was packed with customers so I waited for things to quiet down before finally pulling it out and asking him how much it would cost to replace the trigger spring.

WRONG MOVE!

In a VERY LOUD voice (so everyone there could hear) he said,

"Son, that's a G___Damned RG. If you want to tell someone you pissed away twenty dollars, tie the twenty to that POS and chuck in in the river!"

You could hear a pin drop as every eye in the store looked to see who the bozo was who had the RG. I've never been so embarrassed in my life . . . and I slinked out the door! He WAS right though, as any RG owner knew back then.

Eventually, I took a sledge hammer to it, reduced it into parts that no one could get hurt trying to shoot . . . and chucked it in the river anyway!!!

After that, I've bought only quality and left those 3 foot six-shot groups at ten yards behind and returned to the one inch groups at that distance from my Smiths.

Yep . . . in "the day," they were called "Saturday Night Specials," and Congress eventually banned 'em . . . forcing the bad guys to upgrade their arsenals to dependable weapons that shot dead on.

In retrospect, I'm not sure that IMPROVED safety for the decent folks!

RonC133
July 8, 2008, 07:41 PM
Woohoo. If they are banned, does that mean that they are now collectable?

tubeshooter
July 8, 2008, 11:06 PM
Eventually, the POS broke a spring so I took it by a gunsmith. His store was packed with customers so I waited for things to quiet down before finally pulling it out and asking him how much it would cost to replace the trigger spring.

WRONG MOVE!

This is funny. I had heard stories about this brand, but never had seen one... until this past July 4th. A family member asked me to take a pistol to my gunsmith to "see if anything could be done" (there aren't many gun enthusiasts in my family). So I'm thinking maybe it's a Taurus or Rossi... but I saw that RG on the side. It was a .38 Special.

We loaded up a cylinder, and 2 rounds fired okay and then "click" - with the trigger getting stuck pulled back and having to be coaxed back into place. Probably a busted spring. Not very confidence inspiring, I was definitely underwhelmed.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that the gun probably wouldn't be worth the repair bill nor the gas to get it there... IF my 'smith would work on it. Which I was fairly sure he would not have wanted to.

I fed him some line about losing touch with him basically in order to avoid a scene like S&Wfan's. If I had read this thread first, I probably wouldn't even have tried to fire the gun at all.

rondog
July 9, 2008, 02:17 AM
I have to laugh at this thread, because I have an RG-10. It was my grandpa's nightstand gun, so it's hard for me to get rid of, but it's without a doubt the worst piece of junk I've ever fired. Just awful. My grandson doesn't even like it.

dagger dog
July 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
MAYPOP , DOORSTOP, BOAT ANCHOR,
Might give you the edge in a KNIFE FIGHT, but don't count on it!

Redhawk1
July 11, 2008, 08:56 AM
I Bought 2 of them many years ago for $10.00. My buddy and I shot the crap out of them just for the fun of it. I ended up giving him one and he still shoots it on occasion. Yes it will fire, yes it is junk. But 2 of them for $10.00, I have spent more on other junk.
I still have my Rohm RG10, I have not shot it in many years, it is a good reminder of what not to buy.

MCgunner
July 11, 2008, 10:30 AM
Another antique thread.

I Bought 2 of them many years ago for $10.00. My buddy and I shot the crap out of them just for the fun of it.

If you shot the crap out of 'em, I'm surprised there was anything left. :D

hangemhigh
November 29, 2008, 11:04 AM
I had bought this gun when I was 5 mailorder for $595 with shipping. I remember I couldn't spell so I traced the address and sent change. Then on top of that the neighbor general store sold me the shorts to. I don't know but they didn't make LR22 back in the day yet. But I could shoot across the dirt road we lived on into a bank and hit machpacks dead center.
Thanks for the posts. I didn't know anything about this gun without a computer. It hard to believe it was that junky after all these years now.

Grayrock
November 29, 2008, 08:15 PM
I've got one I'll sell you for HALF PRICE- For you today only $297.50. PLUS, if you act now...:D

Carl N. Brown
December 1, 2008, 09:02 AM
There's a decimal and a 1 missing in that price: I remember them as $15.95 at most. :)

rondog
December 1, 2008, 03:10 PM
If you like to fish at night by stringing out trotlines, and you catch the occasional snapping turtle on your trotlines, the RG10 would be OK for executing the turtles at point-blank range, but that's all I would use mine for. I wouldn't feel too bad if it fell overboard.

krs
December 1, 2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone who's got an RG that they think is .22 short have a look down the bore. It could be a starter pistol and explode if you try to shoot it.

there's a chance it'll explode anyway, but if it's a starter pistol it's sure to do that.

yarnell24
July 18, 2010, 12:05 PM
I have the three inch, six shot, .22lr model. I have owned it for well over six years and put 6,000 plus rounds thru it. Some high end cci hp's and some run of the mill wildcats and ONE time, only ONE time did the gun fail to fire and it was due to the SUPER cheap federal I fired in it. It may be cheap and not very attractive. But IT DOES WORK WELL!!! It was given to me by a friend who bought a glock 36 and when we go to the range, round for round, I am there with him. Granted the gun has NO safety, nor is a six round .22lr platform great. But, next to say a high point, this DOES work. I read almost all of the threads and joined JUST to let you all know that maybe you got some bad ones, or maybe I got lucky. Either way, I went as far as going to bobs guns and ordering a new set of walnut handles and new ejector rod. He has all the parts to fix what may be bad on yall's. Either way, I own a taurus pt140 millenium. But I just got an inside the waste band holster for the RG. Guess what I am carrying now. The RG is cheap and though it is no .40 s&w, a .22lr will get it done if you PRACTICE!!! So, not that I am against you all, these do lack alot of features, but for the price and RELIABILITY, yes mine is SUPER reliable, you cant beat them. New walnut grips, ejector rod, cleaning kit, CCI HP's, and ccp Holster, in it under seventy bucks for a light, small, reliable and cheap carry weapon!!!!

Art Eatman
July 18, 2010, 12:26 PM
yarnell, look at dates of threads before re-creating Lazarus...

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with revolver history: Rohm RG10s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!