Which assault rifle to buy?

PDA

jeepmor
December 3, 2006, 04:59 AM
I know this could start a huge war as to what's best and why, but I'm going to give it a shot anyhow.

With the Dems enroute to power and Bush having stated that he would sign and support another AWB bill, I figure I best do some shopping before the store is closed on these items.

Please pick your favorite and put a little context as to why you feel the model XXXXX rifle is the best choice.

What say you?

jeepmor

If you enjoyed reading about "Which assault rifle to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AK-74me
December 3, 2006, 05:12 AM
AR-15 in 5.56,

proven platform

accurate

available cheap ammo

lots of accessories available

plenty of configurations to meet your specs.

I would piece my own together using mostly Stag or DPMS

or as you can see by my screen name I like AK's too but that should be your second rifle.

"assualt rifle" :banghead:

Waywatcher
December 3, 2006, 05:28 AM
"Assault Rifle" is a real legitimate term.

"Assault Weapon" is the concocted one.

I highly doubt you'll be getting a true "assault rifle" as one of the prerequisites is being select-fire.

I'll assume you want one of the civilian versions. Cost plays a big role. AK's hover in the 450 area, AR's in the 850 area. Obviously there are cheaper and spendier ones, but that shows you a ball-park figure. Mags and ammo are about the same for both though. Both are reliable, both are fun.

I just bought an SKS for the reasons you spelled out, though. I couldnt be happier with my purchase. It's a true military weapon (surplus), semi-automatic, and ammo is cheap. I dont need or want 30 round detachable mags, or a pistol grip.

AK-74me
December 3, 2006, 05:59 AM
highly doubt you'll be getting a true "assault rifle" as one of the prerequisites is being select-fire.

I'll assume you want one of the civilian versions.

I understand that "assault rifle" is a real term but I doubt he was talking about buying an M16 or select fire version of ______ so that is why I posted :banghead: because it is just another way of making the EBR even more evil.

WeedWhacker
December 3, 2006, 06:12 AM
My choices, based on research done over the past three years:

#1: Galil in .308. AK-style mechanisms, Finnish-refined and Israeli-built. Damned things are a mite expensive, tho. :(
A .308 so that you have the power and performance of a full-sized rifle round in a very common caliber that coincidentally can safely fire NATO 7.62 ammo, which is not only plentiful, but even now runs ~$0.35 per round *new*, shipped, from Lake City (per ammoman.com prices).
A Galil in .223 would be my top pick if I cared much for the .223 round...

#2: PTR-91, .308. US-made copy of the HK91, made to HK specs on HK equipment set up by HK technicians. The next .308 I buy will be one of these, and the base model with the improved sights and slightly wider than HK-made magwell runs ~$650 on a good day.

#3: SKS for good, inexpensive and suprisingly accurate 7.62x39 shooting. Downsides: they're not getting any cheaper, and those ten rounds go by quickly.

#4: US-made AK-47-ish rifle, available in a variety of calibers. Arsenal (out of Las Vegas) and Vector Arms have good reputations. Vector Arms' .223 AK can use modified AK-74 mags, which I am told are plentiful and cheap.

#5: Sig 556 or other AR-patterned rifle with a piston-based (or other non-direct impingement) gas system. Some of those are new and may not have had all the bugs worked out of them yet.

GRIZ22
December 3, 2006, 06:35 AM
If you are on a budget I'd get a SKS. Inexpensive, ammo available, reasonably accurate.

In all other cases I'd get an AR for reasons mentioned above. My chopice would be a DPMS or Rock River but any well known name should serve you well. A lot of the bad press the 5.56 has gotten is due to the short barrels that have become popular. The 5.56 gets a lot of its stopping power from fragmenting in the target. If you get below 2800 fps that fragmenting drops off quick. A 55 grain bullet from a 14" M4 is right at 2800 fps. You can solve this issue by practicing with FMJ and have a supply of the same weight in JHP or SP or buying a 20" barrel. Don't get me wrong a 55 gr FMJ is something you want to get hit with. I've used M16s, M4s, AR15s since 1968 (sometimes in social situations so to speak) and it still is my first choice in a battle rifle.

Thre's a lot of fascination with AK variants but the major problem is the lack of accuracy with all of them I've seen (except the Valmet). The bullet is an adequate stopper but with ballistics like a 30-30 you really have to crank up that sight to hit anything at range.

GRIZ22
December 3, 2006, 06:36 AM
duplicate post

DevLcL
December 3, 2006, 07:39 AM
AR15,

Proven reliable.

Litterally hundreds of different configurations are possible with different equipment from a hundred different companies. However! You get what you pay for. This is going off-topic a little but should you go the "tactical" route, remember that the EOTech, Trijicon, and Surefire types may seem expensive but there must be a reason the're used by folks like SpecOps in the military, tactical law enforcement teams, and professionals in the private sector.

I don't suggest SKS or AK or any other foreign caliber weapon because how many boxes of 7.62 are going to be laying around when the going gets tough?

-Dev

HorseSoldier
December 3, 2006, 10:18 AM
With the Dems enroute to power and Bush having stated that he would sign and support another AWB bill, I figure I best do some shopping before the store is closed on these items.

Are you looking for the best assault or battle rifle you can buy today, or are you looking for stuff that you won't be able to get if a new AWB kicks in (and that might appreciate in value dramatically under a new AWB)?

If the first option, I personally like ARs in various flavors. Good for most applications, and modularity and parts availability means you can tweak to exactly what you want.

If the second, I'd say start by picking up a folding stock AK -- a Yugo underfolder will set you back 500-ish in my neck of the woods, may be better deals out there. I'd guess any AWB will really go after folding and collapsible stocks in addition to whatever other stupid particulars they settle on.

To that, I'd add 2-3 stripped AR lowers, which will become "pre-ban" lowers later, assuming the same sort of AWB rules go into effect. You can later build one into an AR (ban or no ban), and if a ban kicks in, you can likely sell the other couple to pay for the other components of your pre-ban rifle once the market inflates like it did last time.

High cap pistol and rifle mags are probably another good investment right now, though the last gun show I hit looked like prices were already up a little . . .

aka108
December 3, 2006, 10:21 AM
AK types are available in 223. I'd probably opt for that. The AK is no more complicated than a cap gun and will reliably run with an absolute minimum of maintenance.

stevek
December 3, 2006, 11:34 AM
I'm partial to my Bushmaster AR-15, and the .223 ammo is still fairly inexpensive.
But I also like my Armalite AR-10, even if .308 is a bit more expensive ;)

jagdpanzer347
December 3, 2006, 11:47 AM
I would decide which caliber you want to shoot first and then decide on a weapons platform. Also, how much do you want to spend? Not only on the weapon, but mags, accessories, and ammunition.

-jagd

HGUNHNTR
December 3, 2006, 12:50 PM
Do we have to throw the word assault around so much giving the bashers of the 2nd amendment more firepower. None of my rifles have ever assaulted anyone, and none of them need to be controlled.

El Tejon
December 3, 2006, 01:07 PM
All firearms are only tools. What is it that you wish to do?

gm
December 3, 2006, 01:09 PM
FN-FAL.for its adjustable gas flow and screw in barrel.

bushmaster ar in a 16" barrel with a standard stock and heavy barrel contour.This gun is so easy to swap out parts if you want to go with a different upper half and configuration.

lastly, a beltfed in 308.

Manedwolf
December 3, 2006, 01:14 PM
Saiga.

Saiga Saiga Saiga. :)

Your choice of .223, 7.62x25 or .308, they're REAL Russian AKs with chrome barrels, and, at the moment, very cheap. Definitely the best value! Some people here think that unless something costs a whole lot of money, it's no good. They'd be all over the Saigas if they cost $1600 instead of $250, but since they're inexpensive, they throw around other brand names instead. That sort of person is gun dealer's favorite target for for profits. I don't think that way. Value is value.

Get them now, get the mags they'd use if converted, and have them converted at your leisure. A Saiga .223 converted and made literally into a Galil is a very nice thing to have.

And personally, I've never had any love for the AR platform. I like Mr. Kalashnikov's simpler and robust design.

rangerruck
December 3, 2006, 01:34 PM
three Saigas. in 223, 762 russian and 308. all with 16 inch bbls
they are all considered 'sporting rifles' right now, and you can get a few parts to make them take regular ak mags. the first two you can get for 275 or less, the 308 you can get for 375 or less. plus they will be way more accurate than any other ak rifle out there. next , I would look at a kel tec plr 16. this is a piston driven ar. It uses ar parts, and ar mags, but stay clean. I have put about 500 rounds through mine, and the inside of the receiver, is still shiny clean.
who knows how long congress will let this 10 in bbl baby stay civilian legal?

TooTaxed
December 3, 2006, 01:35 PM
If you want a pure short-range assault weapon, it's had to beat an AK...large magazine capacity, cheap ammo (acquire a case or two), somewhat better hit ballistics than the .223, durable as Hell! But their very short sight radius restricts their value for distances much beyond 150-yd, and you should expect 100-yd accuracy to be about 3-6 mil (somewhat better with a scope) as there is a fairly large natural dispersion built into the ammo. Milsurp cases are not reloadable...commercial reloadable ammo is not inexpensive.

I prefer the SKS over the AK...longer barrel and sight radius, aftermarket 20 and 30-rd detachable magazines available (necessary if you mount a scope projecting above the action, and you will also need a brass deflector as the SKS ejects vertically). I can hit a 360-yd steel target with mine, every shot.

AR15 carbines...collapsible stocks, fairly short barrel...are very nice...I use mine almost as much as I use my SKS. Best used with a scope for long range...500-yd shots are fairly consistent. Ammo is generally of better (consistant) quality than 7.62 x 39, more accurate, and cases are reloadable. Lots of useful aftermarket upgrade accessories are available (I upgraded my Colt CAR-15 with a Rock River Varmenter upper, match trigger, Harris bipod and a good variable scope.

I mention the reloadable case factor as I expect the Democrats to both limit ammo imports and add enough taxes to ammio to make it very expensive to shoot.:cuss: So, I suggest you either buy cases of ammo now when it's cheap, or get set up for reloading, including buying at least an 8-lb can of powder and at least a case of primers.:(

Prince Yamato
December 3, 2006, 02:10 PM
Do we have to throw the word assault around so much giving the bashers of the 2nd amendment more firepower.

Yep, we do. Because it's just a word. Let the little anti-bastards whine about it.

Now let's all start the rumor that if you say "Assault Weapon" three times in the bathroom mirror a pre-ban Poly Tech under-folder will appear atop your sink.

lionking
December 3, 2006, 02:32 PM
alright "military style rifles".

Depending on your cash flow get what you can,never know what the future may hold.

Ar-15,love the rifle.A pleasure to shoot,real accurate,more so than a M14 or Garand typically,though those 2 are accurate compared to some other military style rifles also.

Ak types,fun to shoot,handy combination of cartridge and design.

M1A,said it before,love the rifle,well balanced,well designed.Great cartridge.

I personally am thinking of getting a Bushmaster in 9mm in the future,good for taking to a indoor range when they dont allow higher powered cartridges.Good plinker,easy on the wallet ammo wise and just because I think I want one.

If....a ban should look like its going pass then a M1A and Bushmaster in 9mm,or possibly a Uzi carbine would go on a credit card.

PTR-91,good price for the rifle,heard good things about them as far as quality.

Carl N. Brown
December 3, 2006, 02:40 PM
Let's see I have an M1A1 carbine, a TM1 semiauto Thompson,
and an M70AB Yugo AK.
My son has an FAL, a CETME, a Yugo SKS and a M70AB Yugo AK.
My son has been looking for a M1 carbine, M1 Garand or an
M1A Springfield Armory. (I advised the M1A to keep commonality
of ammo with the FAL and CETME).

on the word assault
Motorized rubber boats are Assault Boats.
Jeeps and Hummers are Assault Vehicles.
Short-take-off-and-landing planes and helicopters are Assault Aircraft.
Compact rifles with detachable magazines are Assault Rifles.
The word "assault" does confuse the sheeple into thinking
their overlords are saving them from physical assault but the word
that describes a capability does not describe the use or the intent
of the owner fer cryin out loud.

If rifles described as "assault" should be banned then so should
small boats and aircraft and four-wheel drive land vehicles.

I still have not recovered from the Joan Beck Chicago editorial
where she praised the Assault Weapon Ban in one paragraph,
then in another pointed out that assault weapons were used in
only 1 out of 800 Chicago murders in the three years before the
ban. If AW made up 10% of the gun sales in 1994, but only .125% of
murder weapons, then they banned the weapons least likely to
"be on the streets." WTP? What's The Point?

M110
December 3, 2006, 02:49 PM
AR, because its a good platform with lots of accessories for it.

Garand!! Because ITS A GARAND :D

M1A.

M1 carbine.

PTR-91 is a good G3 clone.

SKS, because there cheap.

Not a fan of the AK, so wont recommend them.

lionking
December 3, 2006, 02:51 PM
true Carl about the statistics but its all about a "assault" on gun ownership plan and simple.Military style weapons are just a easy target pardon the pun.

JohnL2
December 3, 2006, 03:17 PM
Well, military style weapons just LOOK scary to the layperson.
And it only takes one crazy on a shooting spree to villify, and demonize them, and relegate owners of them as a bunch of gun-nut loonies.

Personally, I am looking into Sabre Defence Industries. They will be offering more 6.5mm AR's very soon. They have M4 variants but I want a longer barrel.
I am sure Rock River Arms makes superb AR's. Can't go wrong there.

atblis
December 3, 2006, 03:43 PM
To start with you need to get one of each of the following

An AR15 type
e.g. Colt Sporter II

and

A Kalashnikov clone
e.g. MAK90

THose are the two quintessential "assault rifles" that every collection should have. After that, it gets a bit complicated.

Personal favorite
Daewoo K2. Piston operated AR. Has one of the best folding stocks in the busines

Mot45acp
December 3, 2006, 05:09 PM
buy a stripped lower and fill out sheet and have called in as a pistol. then you can build and swap as long as barrel under 16" = no stock

Kaylee
December 3, 2006, 05:13 PM
Pretty much exactly what HorseSoldier said -- are you looking for a weapon, a range toy, or a historical collectible?

jeepmor
December 3, 2006, 06:38 PM
Do we have to throw the word assault around so much giving the bashers of the 2nd amendment more firepower. None of my rifles have ever assaulted anyone, and none of them need to be controlled.

When the government doesn't label them, I won't either, how about that? I'm simply referring to the arms that would fall under some government scheme to limit distribution or otherwise keep them out of the hands of law abiding Americans.

Why is it our government is now bent on taking away the very items that broke the proverbial camel's back and started our pursuit of freedom from the English monarchy?

Much fat to chew, thanks for the help folks. I'm picking up a shotgun this week, maybe I'll find my new semi-auto jackrabbit assault tool also. ;) I'm just shopping around for a good semi-auto with detachable magazines of high capacity for plinking and varmint hunting. I have a 223 Ruger lam/HB/bolt action and it's a tank, I'd like something lighter in semi-auto.

jeepmor

possum
December 3, 2006, 06:57 PM
AR-15 in 5.56,

proven platform

accurate

available cheap ammo

lots of accessories available

plenty of configurations to meet your specs.

I would piece my own together using mostly Stag or DPMS

or as you can see by my screen name I like AK's too but that should be your second rifle.

+1
I currently have all the "assault weapons" i want for the time being, everything from now own out will be bolt guns, semi auto precision guns, and handguns. i will most definetly but more "assault weapons" in the future but not anytime soon, there are other projects i want to take care of first. Though i am not gonna be getting any anytime soon i am horrified to see that Bush is gonna support another ban, that is the first i have hear about it, but i don't doubt it.:banghead:

CornCod
December 3, 2006, 11:55 PM
The two best choices are an AR or an AK, If you require a rifle with good range because you want to use the rifle in a plains or a savannah environment, go for the AR. Anywhere else; desert, suburban, urban or jungle, go for the super-reliable AK.

Manedwolf
December 3, 2006, 11:58 PM
The comparison I make between the two platforms is that the AR is like a fancy PDA, and the AK is like...a wrench.

Which one do you KNOW will work and keep working even if you crawl out of a post-disaster mud puddle with it and have no time or tools to clean it?

roguechild
December 4, 2006, 10:04 AM
Decide what caliber.
7.62mm is a proven stopper unlike the 5.56
But if you can shoot 5.56 well and accurately, go for it.
Also how much do you want to spend feeding your assault rifle?
If you are looking for something battle tested I would say the Garand is pretty close to ideal.
If you can't do it with 8 rounds of long range 30-06 then you got bigger problems.
Also you can reload a Garand pretty fast and it is a fine weapon to shoot.
Works in pretty much all conditions like an AK.
If your point is just to put a lot of rounds downrange then you might want to look into a .22 LR assault weapon.
Cheap and fun!

stoky
December 4, 2006, 10:32 AM
get Bostons Gun Bible

HorseSoldier
December 4, 2006, 10:49 AM
7.62mm is a proven stopper unlike the 5.56
But if you can shoot 5.56 well and accurately, go for it.

I know a number of people who have ample (and personal) anecdotal evidence about how 62 grain 5.56mm rounds, introduced singly or in pairs to the thoracic cavity of gentlemen politely described as Mohammedans, tends to produce an immediate termination of whatever activity they were engaged in, followed promptly by a visit to whatever post-life destination they had lined up the moment before they became the final part of a good sight picture. I'm satisfied that 5.56mm is not only a "proven stopper" (as much as any bullet below 600+ grain .50 cal rounds can be such) but the industry standard for proven stoppers in individual service rifles and carbines.

tinygnat219
December 4, 2006, 11:24 AM
Horsesoldier,

Have to agree with you. The 5.56 MM round has been the primary US battle cartridge for 40 years now, longer the M-1 Garand, or M-14. I think it's safe to say that it and the AR platform are reliable, functional, proven battle rifles that have reliable "stopping power".

TJ

cracked butt
December 4, 2006, 11:24 AM
AR-15
If possible, buy a few extra stripped lowers and maybe a collapsable stock for a rainy day.

Manedwolf
December 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
Keep in mind that there's also a lot of .223 AKs, now. You're not stuck with the combloc imports for ammo.

Kaylee
December 4, 2006, 01:52 PM
I'm just shopping around for a good semi-auto with detachable magazines of high capacity for plinking and varmint hunting.

Something like this then? :)

Bushmaster "VARMINTER" Rifle (http://bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/lr-24v.asp)

USSR
December 4, 2006, 02:15 PM
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1986/MVT.htm

Don

Kaylee
December 4, 2006, 02:22 PM
Don, I think .308 may be a little much for the jackrabbits he plans to go after. ;)

possum
December 4, 2006, 03:08 PM
I know a number of people who have ample (and personal) anecdotal evidence about how 62 grain 5.56mm rounds, introduced singly or in pairs to the thoracic cavity of gentlemen politely described as Mohammedans, tends to produce an immediate termination of whatever activity they were engaged in, followed promptly by a visit to whatever post-life destination they had lined up the moment before they became the final part of a good sight picture. I'm satisfied that 5.56mm is not only a "proven stopper" (as much as any bullet below 600+ grain .50 cal rounds can be such) but the industry standard for proven stoppers in individual service rifles and carbines.
+1
I can vouch for the above statement!:)
it works.

Lonestar.45
December 4, 2006, 04:36 PM
If you've already got a Ruger .223, and want a light semi-auto, then by all means get the AR. Mags are still cheap right now (in the $10 range), and while ammo is going up, you can still find surplus out there for it. I would say SKS or AK, but you said light (rules out the AK really) and detachable mags (rules out the SKS). Plus, whatever ammo you stockpile for the AR, you can use in your Ruger too.

It sounds like a Bushmaster Superlight is the ticket for you. It was for me.

USSR
December 4, 2006, 05:15 PM
Don, I think .308 may be a little much for the jackrabbits he plans to go after.

Ain't no such thing as too much gun.;)

Don

ozwyn
December 4, 2006, 05:36 PM
My .02

Find a range that rents as many of the different rifles recommended in the thread so far, shoot them all, buy the one that feels like it fits you best.

that way you don't just get the rifle, you get the rifle that will WORK for you. (because some people really do seem to just shoot better with one maker/control set of rifle than another, even with the same caliber)

jeepmor
December 4, 2006, 07:51 PM
But thank you for the pros and cons of it all. A .308 is a bit much for the jackrabbit, but the 30 caliber bullet fits well in my reloading schemes since I have a 300WSM for deer, elk and up duties.

You guys were supposed to come at me with a unified front and just make the decision for me...haha:rolleyes: Thanks again, I'm going to peruse the links and keep looking.

I do like the .308 package, but don't really "need" anything in particular. But I do see another AWB coming down the pike, so I'm figuring I may just have to make some acquisitions to see that I have the toys before they're no longer avaialable.

jeepmor

High Planes Drifter
December 4, 2006, 08:40 PM
The potential problem I can see realisticly happening with AK's and SKS's - and any other 7.62x 39 rifle is the potential banning of the importation of ammo. This IS a possibility in our current environment like it or not; its not a far fetched paranoiac scenario. I guess the same can be said for M1A ammo:what: . I need to give my Springfield a hug !!! Something in 5.56 would be a great idea, cant go wrong with an AR. I personally have been falling in love again lately with my CAAR; my Marlin 336:D

jeepmor
December 4, 2006, 08:52 PM
I have thought about this ammo issue for some time. I am now a reloader due to this issue of ammo disappearing.

Also, it is considerably cheaper to plink A LOT this way. I like the 30 caliber bullet and see it as always being avaialble until they outlaw hunting altogether. And if Brady gets their way, we won't even have wristrockets in twenty years.

I am currently leaning towards an AR of some flavor. Any product specific suggestions are welcome and I have already perused those put forth. Thanks folks.

jeepmor

Lobotomy Boy
December 4, 2006, 09:26 PM
I think it's your patriotic duty to have at least one AR in your home. All the other choices are good, but the AR should be your first combat-type rifle. First, because there will be .223 ammo available long after most other calibers have become scarce, regardless of the circumstances. And I have absolute confidence in the round's stopping power, having used it for hunting. Also, there will be parts available for an AR long after parts for other guns become scarce because of the huge number of guns manufactured for military, police, and civilian use.

The situation would be different if you lived somewhere besides the United States. In much of the world all of the above statements apply to AK-style guns. If you lived somewhere else, you might have a patriotic duty to get an AK. But you don't live in those places; you live in the U.S. Get your AR and enjoy the hell out of it. After that you can start collecting those other great guns.

The suggestion of buying a seperate upper and lower from a company like Stag Arms or DPMS is an excellent one, especially if you live somewhere where such companies sell direct to consumers at gun shows. I highly recommend DPMS--they are one of the best companies with which I have ever done business--but I've read good things about Stag, too. I'm thinking about picking up a 6.8 upper from Stag.

stoky
December 4, 2006, 09:40 PM
I think it's your patriotic duty to have at least one AR in your home. All the other choices are good, but the AR should be your first combat-type rifle. First, because there will be .223 ammo available long after most other calibers have become scarce, regardless of the circumstances. And I have absolute confidence in the round's stopping power, having used it for hunting.
Where I live the .223 is not legal for big game hunting. It would come up way short on an elk or a moose. :scrutiny:

Lobotomy Boy
December 4, 2006, 09:45 PM
Are elk and moose the only things they let you folks hunt up in that neck of the woods?

stoky
December 4, 2006, 09:53 PM
I've no doubt that the .223 is a fine one shot rabbit stopper. :rolleyes:
I prefer the late Col. Cooper's axiom that a rifle should be able to effect a one shot stop on an animal weighing up to 1000 lbs, or a horse, or a truck.

crunker
December 4, 2006, 09:57 PM
Just so you know, buying a real assault rifle is gonna cost you about $15k.

You can buy semiautos with little hassle though, but they have much less firepower than a real assault rifle.

Lobotomy Boy
December 4, 2006, 10:00 PM
So for you the ultimate battle rifle is a .50 caliber. I'm sure if I ever get attacked by a horse, a 1,000-pound animal, or a truck, I'll probably wish I had you by my side. But I've spent a lot of my life in the company of horses and trucks, and none of them have ever caused me near as much trouble as certain 200-pound humans, and for those I really don't need to lug around a .50 cal.

stoky
December 4, 2006, 10:12 PM
One of Mr. Barrett's masterpieces is on my short want real bad list.
Meanwhile I think that rifles start in the 6.5mm neighborhood. A .308 will stop a 200 lb menace at least as well as as a .223. If you are too weak to carry a rifle, by all means settle for the carbine.

10-Ring
December 4, 2006, 11:07 PM
Go w/ the one that you like, you can afford and can find parts/ accessories relatively easily w/o breaking the bank ;) In my case, that was an AR15 :D

IndianaBoy
December 5, 2006, 12:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/AR005_crop.jpg

plus

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/radway_green.jpg

accomplice
December 5, 2006, 01:59 AM
If you only want to drop $500 or so on it, I'd say get a Yugo AK. They are built like tanks and will go bang every time. I'd steer you away from the conventional configured ARs because none of mine have been close to my worst AK in terms of reliability. I don't really care if it gets tighter groups at 200 yards. If I ever need to use my gun for self defense, it absolutely must function when called upon. If your budget allows for $1,300 or so, I'd say get the Sig 556 that starts shipping this week. If it lives up to expectations, you'll have the best of both the AR (accuracy, common / cheap mags & ammo, drop down magwell, good ergonomics, optic rail, good sights once you buy the BUIS of your choice, etc.) & AK (it should run and run and run).

AK-74me
December 5, 2006, 04:42 AM
If your budget allows for $1,300 or so, I'd say get the Sig 556 that starts shipping this week. If it lives up to expectations, you'll have the best of both the AR (accuracy, common / cheap mags & ammo, drop down magwell, good ergonomics, optic rail, good sights once you buy the BUIS of your choice, etc.) & AK (it should run and run and run).

I find this an odd recomendation for a first AR, there are pleanty of excellent other AR options that have been on the market for years for about half the price of the Sig that have proven reliable.

My first AR was a Rock River, bought it whole. My second which I am in the process of piecing together now is pretty much made up of Stag parts. I have pretty much 100% confindence in these two along with a handful of other companies that make AR's.

I have recomended him once on here and I'll recomend him again but Joseph Kiser at Kiser Muntions, found on the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com forums is really awesome to deal with on Stag parts or complete rifles.

Just my .02 cents.

evan price
December 5, 2006, 06:40 AM
FN FAL variant, the .308 is a main battle rifle caliber, they are able to feed and function on any junk ammo out there, and they are dead on reliable. You can put together a parts gun for $500 or so. Mags are under $6 each. Plus what other says EBR like an Austrian StG58 FAL with bipod, Stoll muzzle device & carry handle??

Not to offend .308 Galil types, but to get one is gonna cost you like $2500 or so. Not many imported, not many for sale, not cheap. Personally having fired them I prefer the FAL.

A good .223 AK clone would also be nice- light ammo, reliable platform, can't miss.

Manedwolf
December 5, 2006, 10:04 AM
Not to offend .308 Galil types, but to get one is gonna cost you like $2500 or so. Not many imported, not many for sale, not cheap. Personally having fired them I prefer the FAL.

You mean like the $325 SAIGA .308? :rolleyes:

Seriously, have people just not heard of the brand, or what? And one of the mods here sells them!
A bit of easy conversion, and you can put the Galil folding stock and handguard on it, and have a Russian Kalashnikov action in .308 with a chromed barrel.

Ralphie T
December 8, 2006, 12:28 AM
2 AR's 2 AK's 2FAL's 2 HK's 2M1's 2 M1A's 2 M1 carbines......Oh the hell with it,build an ark and take 2 of everything!!!!!!!And don't forget the ammo.RT:evil:

BAT1
December 8, 2006, 01:17 AM
1 Rock River Arms .223 Probably the best for the money. Guaranteed 1" moa or less
2 Bushmaster .223 or .308 I have the M4A3 16" and I love the 1/2 groups, not one problem.
3 Armalite great quality very pricey
4 DPMS .223, great .308, very accurate
5 Colt good quality very pricey
6 24 " for varmints, 20" barrels for accuracy, 16's are great too.
7 PTR 301 great .308 clone of the HK
I don't call them AR's in order to try to change the stigma about them.

RockyMtnTactical
December 8, 2006, 04:06 AM
AR-15 all the way

Mark Whiteman
December 8, 2006, 04:25 AM
I'd probably suggest the AR-15 platform and its variants.

1. Ammo likely to be common awhile longer. Reasonably priced 7.62 NATO and 7.62x39 tend to get scarce. Like at present.

2. It's always on the leftie's ban list near the top.

3. Spare parts and magazines still common.

4. It has above-average accuracy potential.

Prowl the forums, including AR15, for likely candidates for ownership.

Don't make it your last Evil Rifle purchase.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which assault rifle to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!