New caliber for my m98

PDA

goosegunner
December 3, 2006, 11:17 AM
I have a m98 that already have seen two major changes. 1. Norwegian army, rebarreled to .30-06 in 1950's. and 2. (semi) professional reabuild to hunting rifle, new stock (with nice wood by the way) new 1/4 safety, reshaped bolt arm and scope mount and 4x30 scope (meopta) 8-10 years ago. So any historical value was already lost before I got my hands on the rifle.

I really like the rifle, the stock fits me is weather stable and looks good, the trigger is reasonably good, the action is smooth and it was my first rifle so I can't/won't sell it. Problem is the barrel have seen better days, when i got the rifle it prodused 3-shot groups 3-5 cm @ 100m, but gradually that have redused to 8-10 cm average and 6-8 cm om a good day. More competent people than me have looked at it, and the conclusion is it needs a new barrel.

So then the question: Should I change the caliber as well?

Criteria would be:
*Cartridge base same as .30-06. (will not do any matal work on the action, if possible)
*Cartridge works well in m98 magasine, with standard/normal bullets.
*minimum 6.5 mm (due to hunting reglations)
*Some comersially avilable ammo (don't reaload much)
*NOT a barrel burner.
*Suitable for both small game (rabbit, large birds, fox etc.) and larger game (deer, moose reindeer) i.e handels heavy hunting bullets and fairly light fmj.

So what is avilable out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "New caliber for my m98" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
December 3, 2006, 11:31 AM
If you don`t want to stay with the 30-06 the 6.5x55 will work just fine. I have a Mark X which is a M98 copy that was originally a `06 that I barreled to the 6.5x55 and feeds and extract without a hitch. I thought the smith might have to open the bolt face a hair but it didn`t need it once we got looking at it.
I think you`ll find ammo available eveywhere in your area:)

Jim Watson
December 3, 2006, 11:31 AM
Stay with .30-06. You KNOW it works.

Kurac
December 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
.25-06, .270, .284 ...

M110
December 3, 2006, 01:25 PM
Stay with the .30-06, or go down to .270 if your really set on changing it.

270Win
December 3, 2006, 01:44 PM
.270!

jlmurphy
December 3, 2006, 02:16 PM
I have a VZ24 that I rebarreled to 6.5x55, no other modifications necessary, a perfect caliber in my opinion, and really appropriate for a Mauser.

Erinyes
December 3, 2006, 02:50 PM
Sounds to me like you ought to just stick to .30-06 when you rebarrel it. Either that or take it back up to 8x57JS.

Snarlingiron
December 3, 2006, 03:07 PM
If you don't reload, and want the maximum versitility in commercially available ammunition, there is no choice better than the venerable 30-06. Commercial loads are available from 100 to 220 grains in all sorts of bullet configurations. You wont find that kind of range or selection in any other caliber. The 100 grain should be good for varmint type animals, and while I certainly have never done it (nor would I want to), I have read that a solid 220 grain bullet from a 30-06 will take down an elephant if you know where to put it. I know from personal experience that it is very potent medicine for white tail deer. I have shot many of them with a 30-06, and have never lost one yet.

MatthewVanitas
December 3, 2006, 03:18 PM
If you don't reload, and want the maximum versitility in commercially available ammunitio

Do note, gent is in Norway.

Is 30-06 widely available in numerous different loadings in Norway, or is there a better candidate in terms of diverse loadings?

Are you avoiding 6.5mm as being not exotic enough?

-MV

goosegunner
December 3, 2006, 04:11 PM
.30-06 is videly avileable here (mostly due to some 100.000 rebarreled m98's beeing sold by the army a few years back), and is among top 3 common rounds.
It's not that I want a new caliber, I only want to consider the options before i use ~400 on a barrel. Other options would be .308, but that seems to be a waste in a long action, and possible feeding problems. The 6.5x55 IS the national cartridge (it is partly a norwegian development), but for some reason I just don't like it.

As for avilability of ammo, it just has to be avilable, no problem if I have to wait 6 weeks for it to be ordered from your side of the Atlantic to get good hunting loads. Fairly prised training ammo is avilable in almost any "normal" caliber, if I am willing to order a larger number.

A good chance that I will stay with the '06, after all the cartridge is 100 years this year.

cracked butt
December 3, 2006, 04:31 PM
More competent people than me have looked at it, and the conclusion is it needs a new barrel.

Before rebarreling, try giving the barrel a very thorough scrubbing using copper solvent. Also check to make sure the action screws are good and tight. Unless you have been shooting thousands of rounds it seems unlikely that the accuracy degraded from wearing the barrel out.

30-06 would be a good choice if you are rebarreling. If its available in your country or if its possible to reload and you have interest in doing so, .280 remington would be an excellent choise as well.

goosegunner
December 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
all possible cleaning have been tried, and it worked "some" but not as much as i hoped for. Even got a gunsmith to secure the recoil-lug in epoxy/fiberglass, it to worked, but still not enough. As for shot out barrel, I have shot ~900 rounds with it and nobody knows how much it was used the 50+ years before this. (could be nothing, >3000 rnds, or "cleaned to death") But bottom line: the barrel IS worn out, but anything <10 cm at 100m is plenty good for larger game it's just a little to bad for small game and target shooting.

Outlaws
December 3, 2006, 05:20 PM
If you like 30-06, and its plentiful there as you say it is, then its still a great cartridge and will be for a long time to come IMO.

Why don't you like the 6.5x55? (I just got one Friday lol...so I have to ask) :D

For a long action, you could go .270, but that might be too American of a cartridge and pose serious problems obtaining it over there.

Then is always one of the 7mm rounds. I hear good things about most all of them.

goosegunner
December 3, 2006, 05:37 PM
It's nothing wrong with the 6.5x55, it's only a dull cartridge (here anyway). But it has a little recoil, great accuracy and fairly outstanding long-range capabilities. And would probably be the "best" logical choise for my rifle and my use, but as long as I don't like it, I don't like it. Caliber choise should not be only logic an reason, or else we would all end up with rem 700's in .308 ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "New caliber for my m98" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!