How many guns can a person legally own?

PDA

mxl
December 3, 2006, 02:22 PM
Are there any federal laws restricting the number of long guns and/or hand guns a person may own? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many guns can a person legally own?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Real Hawkeye
December 3, 2006, 02:25 PM
As many as he can afford. It's still a free country, I think.

cbsbyte
December 3, 2006, 02:26 PM
Since you asked you can't have any.

In truth there is no Federal Restricition, that I know of on how many firearms one can own. I know a person that has at least 100 firearms including machine guns, and air rifles.

Still 2 Many Choices!?
December 3, 2006, 02:26 PM
And why should there be?:confused: :uhoh:

Still 2 Many Choices!?

oneshooter
December 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
265 and counting!!! Just bought a matchlock!!!:neener:

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Outlaws
December 3, 2006, 04:38 PM
I don't think there is a set limit, but hasn't the ATF busted people before for "stock piling"?...or is that only a charge if you get busted for something else and you have a "stock pile"?

Geno
December 3, 2006, 04:42 PM
I prefer to collect as many as I can, rather than contemplate which I would choose to retain. However, there is a question I have wrestled with for some years now. Would I prefer to collect more firearms, or spend that money on hunts? Now, there is a difficult call. Purchase 5 new firearms or go to Africa to hunt. Purchase a new rifle/pistol or go hunt boar?

Doc2005

orionengnr
December 3, 2006, 04:42 PM
...wish I could afford to "stock pile".

Can't afford to feed the ones I have. :rolleyes:

salvador31c
December 3, 2006, 05:32 PM
Whats considered a "stock pile" alot of the same gun ??

gc70
December 3, 2006, 05:38 PM
More than I could ever count, much less hope to actually own.

geekWithA.45
December 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
I think "stock piling" is an invention of the press.

Byron Quick
December 3, 2006, 05:56 PM
How many guns can a person legally own?

All of them. If you are legally entitled to own just one.

SoCalShooter
December 3, 2006, 06:00 PM
I figure I should probably not own more guns than I can personally carry which would be about 15 -20 depending. But of course I would go for more, its a free country and if you can afford'em you can have'em...well kinda.

Glockfan.45
December 3, 2006, 06:10 PM
Doc I have your solution. Hunt one year buy guns the next. I hunt deer, turkey, duck, coyote locally every year. But I save those trips (Virginia bear hunts, elk, etc) for alternate years. I buy at least one gun a year, bought 3 this year and it isnt over yet. However on the years I hunt I limit myself to one or two guns at the most. As far as how many guns a person can own certian townships have restrictions I believe. No restrictions in my area, I know people with 200 plus guns. As for myself well I have more than the wife knows about ;) .

MGLouie
December 3, 2006, 06:29 PM
It's the only correct answer :D

RustyFN
December 3, 2006, 06:34 PM
As many as the wife will allow.:D

Frog48
December 3, 2006, 07:04 PM
I don't think there is a set limit, but hasn't the ATF busted people before for "stock piling"?...or is that only a charge if you get busted for something else and you have a "stock pile"?

There is nothing illegal about owning "too many" firearms. The BATFE and the media say a person is stockpiling guns, in an attempt to turn public opinion against the individual. The BATFE and media use this propoganda to encourage people to believe that if someone owns numerous firearms, they must be troublemakers and doing something illegal.

Kim
December 3, 2006, 07:59 PM
Have you ever been in an elderly couples house where they have collected salt and pepper shakers for about 30 years. Now that is something that should be illegal. You can not move in case you might knock one off something. And they are from many foreign places. There at least needs to be a regulartory scheme and a Dept set up to watch these things.:D

Don't Tread On Me
December 3, 2006, 08:13 PM
Yes, you can own as many as you want....but I have this strange tin-foil feeling that all those 4473's and NICS calls will eventually sound some sort of alarm over at our good friends the BATFE. At the very, very least, they'll take notice and probably keep an eye on you.

Remember, there are anti-trafficking laws.

Finally, we're all (mostly) adults here. We should be mature enough to not have a fairy-tale trust in the government. The Second Amendment exists because the government can't be trusted, yet we trust them to follow the laws that prohibit these gun control measures from being used as registries? LOL!

If you give a dog a bone, what do you think it'll do with it?

The Real Hawkeye
December 3, 2006, 08:17 PM
My 73 year old mother has a collection of owl figurines, paintings and statuettes numbering well over a hundred. At what point will she be in violation of the law?

crunker
December 3, 2006, 08:42 PM
I would prefer to keep the amount of guns I own to a minimum, that way I'll be willing to spend more on single guns, and each of the guns I own will have it's own combat niche. Though I do admit that I plan to own ever semiauto Ingram handgun ever made.

U.S.SFC_RET
December 3, 2006, 10:45 PM
If you live in Maryland there is a one gun a month law. so 12 a year times....:barf:

10-Ring
December 3, 2006, 11:20 PM
The only restriction I've experienced concerns my lack of $$ :scrutiny: There are so many guns I'd like to have & so many guns I'd like to build :cool:
Nope - no restrictions ;)

chris in va
December 4, 2006, 02:21 AM
Don't be fooled people. If you own a thousand firearms, the authorities will figure out a way in short order to confiscate them.

Still 2 Many Choices!?
December 4, 2006, 10:30 AM
If you own a thousand firearms, you are probably rich enough to not have to concern youself with the authorities coming to take them away:rolleyes: !!!

Spot77
December 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
If you live in Maryland there is a one gun a month law. so 12 a year times

Only on regulated guns, my friend. (Handguns and "assault weapons")

You can buy 32,000 sks's a year if you want. :evil:

Byron Quick
December 6, 2006, 06:47 PM
Reckon the suspicion of government hanky panky depends on where you live. I live in a small town in eastern Georgia.

I had a rollover accident two days before Thanksgiving. Snow and rain intermixed, I hit a patch of ice, slid off the road, and my truck rolled at least three times. Seven firearms were thrown in every direction up and down the roadside. Two local deputies traipsed up and down the roadside to find my firearms. The weapons were soaked. They wiped them down for me. If they had let them rust, no one could have criticized them.

When I went to pick them up, the sheriff and the chief deputy wanted to know how I was recuperating from my injuries. Not one word was said about why I had seven firearms in my truck. Two 'assault weapons' didn't raise an eyebrow. Only two of the seven were long guns suitable for hunting.

I feel sorry for those folks who are suffering some of the more ridiculous state laws. I certainly hope you are politically active in your states. The trend here in Georgia seems to be one of incremental improvement by and large.

Deputy Rodriguez, thank you for going above and beyond for me. I appreciate it.

El Tejon
December 6, 2006, 09:04 PM
Glad you are O.K., Bryon. Got T-boned on driver's side back in '95, paramedics found me hanging from the belt in the passenger seat (I was driving). BTDT, were the nurses cute?:evil:

Back on topic, I shall own them all one day!:D

Juna
December 6, 2006, 09:20 PM
265 and counting!!!

:what: Droooooooooooool...... Oh, sorry, I'll mop that up!

As many as the wife will allow.

That's the truest answer of all! :D The federal government doesn't scare me nearly as much! :neener: I had a hard enough time convincing her to let me get the first one, but after I warmed her up by taking her to the range, she's agreed to more (with a little--OK, a lot--of elbow grease on my part). She still has banned me from getting a Barrett M92, though. :evil: But I consider my getting her to agree to a WASR-10 a monumentous occasion. :D I've even talked her into getting her own CCW in the future. Now I just need her to decide on a pistol. All in due time...

ConstitutionCowboy
December 6, 2006, 09:53 PM
...had more than 20,000 guns. He willed them to Oklahoma along with an endowment to maintain a museum for them.

The JM Davis Arms and Historical Museum (http://www.state.ok.us/~jmdavis/)

Woody

"It is contended, that this article of the code, is in violation of the constitution of the United States, and of this state. The clause in the constitution of the United States, that it is said to be in violation of, is the 2d article of the amendments: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." O. & W. Dig. 7. The clause in the constitution of this state, which it is said to violate, is the 13th section of the bill of rights: "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms, in the lawful defense of himself or the state." O. & W. Dig. 14.

The object of the clause first cited, has reference to the perpetuation of free government, and is based on the idea, that the people cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not first disarmed. The clause cited in our bill of rights, has the same broad object in relation to the government, and in addition thereto, secures a personal right to the citizen. The right of a citizen to bear arms, in the lawful defense of himself or the state, is absolute. He does not derive it from the state government, but directly from the sovereign convention of the people that framed the state government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and "is excepted out of the general powers of government." A law cannot be passed (p.402)to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the law-making power." - Texas Supreme Court Decision, Cockrum vs State of Texas, ---- 1859

Seems some of the states did consider the 2A binding upon the states. Some still do.

Juna
December 6, 2006, 10:11 PM
Wow, WoodCDI, that is a phenomenal quote from that Texas SC decision. I'm not sure I could have said it better myself.

Wouldn't it be great if our current SCOTUS judges stopped trying to re-interpret the laws to their own will and just read the plain English in the Constitution? :rolleyes:

duck911
December 6, 2006, 10:36 PM
You can buy 32,000 sks's a year if you want.

Holy cow, I just had a brief and very scary thought about the cosmoline mess THAT would make!!

ProguninTN
December 7, 2006, 12:27 AM
I have to go with the "only $$$ limits firearms" crowd.

kd7nqb
December 7, 2006, 01:13 AM
I have no doubt that if the ATF wanted to they would claim that 2 was a stockpile so hell go for it.

Nicolai
December 8, 2006, 01:38 PM
Two comments:
If you don't have ammo for it, it's a wallhanger (told to a friend who passed it on to me). We should all try not to have wallhangers.
The local news media goes frantic when they discover an "arsenal," usually in conjunction with a drug bust. IMO, they then waste lots of air time showing said "arsenal." Most of the folks I know have more guns in their "to sell/trade" closets or safes, but I didn't write that.

Sean Dempsey
December 8, 2006, 01:43 PM
My CCW instructor has over 200,000 dollars invested in guns. He's got all the cool stuff... Glock 18 full auto, Mp5 full auto in a briefcase that allows it to fire (some secret service thing)... silencers, uzi's, all that stuff. He claims he's a gun addict and has no problem getting the patience to get all those legal full autos and other restricted toys. Said he paid over 15,000 for the mp5, and its the short version.

He's a cop from Logan Utah, and one of the states biggest CCW instructors. I am sure some of you know him. He might even read these boards.

Zundfolge
December 8, 2006, 01:50 PM
Currently there are zero federal laws that restrict how many guns one may own.

However, the scuttle but on the net (for what thats worth) says the new gun control laws the Democrats are putting together contain a provisions for a "Federal Arsenal License" which one must have to posses more than 20 guns and/or 1000 rounds of ammunition.

Rockrivr1
December 8, 2006, 02:01 PM
As many as the wife will allow

What she doesn't know, won't hurt her! Do you want to know how many shoes and purses she has? Of course not, because that number would be mind numbing. ;)

Erebus
December 8, 2006, 04:07 PM
Saw the local Boston news call a confiscated collection of less than 10 guns an arsenal once. Never heard stockpile refer to guns around here it's always arsenal.

greener
December 8, 2006, 06:14 PM
Byron, I bet the deputies were very interested in your 7 guns, especially if any of them were ones they didn't own or hadn't fired. Glad to see that Georgia, or at lest parts of it, are still civilized.

UglyGlock
December 8, 2006, 07:10 PM
you can own as many as you can afford,

however you'd better either keep all of them or have an ffl.

if you appear to be selling too many without the proper "dealer" paperwork (both federal and state) you'll be in trouble. To be safe, keep records.

Jubjub
December 8, 2006, 08:04 PM
If you can tell someone how many you have without stopping to mentally add them up, you don't have nearly enough. If it takes you 30 seconds or so to add them up and give a total, you are probably missing some really useful guns. If you added a room on to the house, and you have no idea of the total, you might be one of my relatives.;)

Banshee
December 8, 2006, 11:39 PM
you are only limited by how much cash you have.

Zoogster
December 9, 2006, 02:27 AM
Depends where you live or move to. If you move somewhere requiring by law a registration fee for each individual gun and you have a lot you could be charged a very high unexpected fee to comply with the law. Also once registered any and all police will be aware when pulling you over for speeding that your a state registered gun nut because you chose to follow the law and they will approach you as if you could potentialy be the Grim Reaper after running your plates.

GlenJ
December 9, 2006, 11:38 AM
According to my grown stepdaughter who has no problem with someone being a drug dealer if you own fifty guns then the goverment should be allowed to ask you why. At my behest two days later she cut her trip here short and flew back to guess where?? **********!!!!!

gtodan
December 9, 2006, 12:22 PM
So many firearms.......so little time.........

thexrayboy
December 9, 2006, 08:22 PM
Whats considered a "stock pile" alot of the same gun ??

The definition of "stock pile" is whatever will get the most media mileage when used by some smarmy liberal gun banner. Just like a man with more than 2 long guns and a 100 rounds of ammo can be "charged" in the press for having an "arsenal".

It's quite convenient for the new world order wackos to be able to rewrite the dictionary so that words mean whatever is convenient to them whenever it suits them.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many guns can a person legally own?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!