WHat would you say to this person?

PDA

Tomekeuro85
December 3, 2006, 08:57 PM
I have a person on another non-gun forum that claims that FOUR of his completely stock rifles shoot .25" consistently with factory non match ammo.
He claims 10 shot groups can still stay under .25".

Rem. Model 788 - 22/250
Savage 112BVSS - 25/06
Ruger M77MKIIVT - .223
Ruger #1 Special Varmint - .220 Swift

Those are the guns he claims do the grouping

It makes me laugh because he is arguing that it is my lack of skill that hinders me from getting consistent .25" groups, when in reality I have never seen a factory rifle with factory ammo shoot that good.

What do I tell someone like this?

If you enjoyed reading about "WHat would you say to this person?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AndyC
December 3, 2006, 09:12 PM
I would tell him he's full of - oh, wait, Art's grammaw.... :D

Tell him to prove it.

Don't Tread On Me
December 3, 2006, 09:17 PM
Tell him to buy a new ruler, tape measure (or calipers).

:neener:

lee n. field
December 3, 2006, 09:25 PM
I have a person on another non-gun forum that claims that FOUR of his completely stock rifles shoot .25" consistently with factory non match ammo.

Yeah, whatever. Anybody can say anything on the internet.

de
December 3, 2006, 09:29 PM
Tell him to rave on, as your wearing you old "BOOTS" and the depth of the crap is not an issue. You might also add that you print such humor out and take it to the office to entertain your fellow shooting team members. He'll never know the difference, and may do some entertaining back peddling.:evil:

Third_Rail
December 3, 2006, 09:31 PM
Well, if he's measuring the groups at the muzzle..... :D

rangerruck
December 3, 2006, 09:34 PM
I have two, exceptionally accurate rifles, all of mine being super accurate, but
ony these two could pull that off, and i would say it would be for 5 shot groups. I would proly crap my pants with nervousness trying to putt that off as i approached the 8 or 9 th shot. Only one of these rifles could do it consistently at 100 , the other one i could guaranty at 50 , but I don't know about 100.

dm1333
December 3, 2006, 09:36 PM
Why say anything at all? If he says stuff like that about guns I'm sure he is making up a lot of other crap and the people on the other forum probably aren't buying any of what he says, anyway.

Outlaws
December 3, 2006, 09:36 PM
He could be a good shot. I had a Ruger No. 1 in .204 that shot .25" groups. I wouldn't put that past that Savage either based on what I hear online about them. The other two I haven't shot before so I can't say. But you never know....maybe he buys a rifle, and if it doesn't shoot well, sells it and gets another. If you know what to look for, and have the tools, you could actually rid out a lot of not-so-great rifles right off the bat just by looking closely.

For the record, my Cooper in .204 is a "factory" rifle and with non-match grade ammo I can shoot .25" groups. Infact, I am will to bet someone with more skill than me woould make it shoot .125" groups all day long.

But ya, 10 shot groups at under a quarter MOA is damn good by most standards.

molonlabe
December 3, 2006, 09:39 PM
The Ruger varmint target could probably do that minus no wind.

LSCurrier
December 3, 2006, 09:41 PM
At what range is he doing is shooting?

Luke

Jackal
December 3, 2006, 09:43 PM

I agree. At 5ft, all my guns can group .25 .:neener:

Outlaws
December 3, 2006, 09:46 PM

A quarter MOA is a quarter MOA. Its not directly based on inches. If at 100 yards 1 MOA is -close to- 1", 200 yard 1 MOA is -close to- 2". So at 400 yards .25 MOA is closer to 1", and at 50 yards .25 MOA is around 1/8th".

EDIT:
I just realized the original post says .25" not .25 MOA. My bad. But that still stands incase anyone didn't know how it works.

SigfanUSAF
December 3, 2006, 09:57 PM
Take him to the range and bet the rifle he can't do it.

I agree. At 5ft, all my guns can group .25

ROFL:D

NailGun
December 3, 2006, 10:15 PM
Don't know what all the fuss is about here....ALL MY rifles, shotguns, BB guns, Milsurps, do AT LEAST 0.25" at 100 yards. Oh ya..and that is with 1950's Slavokastan ammo....you know, the non-corrosive stuff. Heck, I can do 0.125" at 100 yards with a SLINGSHOT.....ya sure, you betcha...don't ya know.:neener: My Saturn does one minute (or two tires) of coyote at 65 mph! (actually that IS true..My First Yote!!) :D
NailGun.

f4t9r
December 3, 2006, 10:29 PM
At what distance ? 2 or 3 feet !!!!!!!!

LeonCarr
December 3, 2006, 10:34 PM
Take him to the range. Either he will chicken out, or he will show you the most accurate factory stock rifles the world has ever seen :). A trip to the range to put up or shut up usually weeds out the non-hackers and the blowhards.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Froggy
December 3, 2006, 10:46 PM
I have a person on another non-gun forum that claims that FOUR of his completely stock rifles shoot .25" consistently with factory non match ammo. He claims 10 shot groups can still stay under .25".

Given the calibers, he is pretty much claiming the other nine rounds follow the first one through the same hole. Pretty darn good shooting.

It is the "non-match ammo" part of the claim that makes it outlandish.

A polite face-to-face match with anyone would pretty much put an end to it.

Have you seen this?: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165988&highlight=romak

The fun starts with post #10.

Guns R Tools
December 3, 2006, 10:49 PM
Perhpas this person is doing the shooting at indoor range at 25 yards.

Some don't have access to longer ranges most of the year.

Mr White
December 3, 2006, 11:05 PM
What do I tell someone like this?
The words "in your dreams" come to mind.

eab
December 3, 2006, 11:30 PM
When someone starts giving me crap about how this gun can do this or they can do that, and I KNOW they wrong or its practicly impossible. First I gently try to correct them or ask them if they meant this or whatever. If then insist on being stupid I "just smile and wave" (to quote some penguins) There aint NOTHING you can do to convence them they are wrong. Because they already have decieded that they are RIGHT. Aint' even worth trying after that.

rockstar.esq
December 3, 2006, 11:35 PM
Froggy I hate to call you out but this is something I read/hear often enough I'd like to take a minute to straighten out. Group size can be expressed correctly as "hole size" which is the literal major diameter of an aggregate group or as the "group size" which refers to the center to center major diameter of aggreagate group size. Group size is easily figured by measuring the largest diameter and deducting the bullet diameter. If the target was set at 100 yards this convieniently becomes the Minute Of Angle accuracy of that rifle for that target. At least ten times a year someone will claim that a .50 cal can't shoot 1/4 MOA which is stupid. All targets should be read in a fashion which negates the effect of bullet diameter so that relevant accuracy can be assessed across the board. More to the point, measuring the center to center distance is of greater importance because the tip of the projectile is what we're trying to guide to the mark. Last year I ran into a regular Einstein who maintained that MOA was measured by taking the largest diameter and deducting 1/2 the bullet diameter. It seems no matter how simple something is, people will step up to make it complicated.

telomerase
December 3, 2006, 11:44 PM
Rockstar is of course correct.

The real question we're trying to solve here is how to get people of this sort to put up their money in a reliably collectable manner in order to Darwinize their finances in an orderly fashion. Unfortunately the wilder the claim the less likely that they are good for their bets....

Ian
December 4, 2006, 12:01 AM
Why say anything to him? Do you really think that if you can get him to admit that his rifles don't shoot that well, he'll suddenly become a font of useful information?

mljdeckard
December 4, 2006, 12:10 AM
I have had all kinds of guys make outrageous claims about how good they are, and then when I take them to the range or hunting, the have a 'bad' day.

I'd be very inclined to believe at LEAST what rockstar is saying, he's not measuring from the center, he's measuring the distance between the holes.

I am not nearly the rifleman I want to be, but I have had a Remington 700 VS in .308, and a Remington 700 VSSF in 22-250 with 3 lb triggers, that will shoot .5 in at 100 yards. If I were a better marksman, and bothered to get picky with the loads, they might be better. I'm honestly thinking, that's about as good as it gets without starting to spend real money.

mustanger98
December 4, 2006, 12:25 AM
Hey, those craters on the moon... I made those with my Red Ryder when I was 10.:D :D :D If you tell him anything, tell him you heard from a guy on another board (in this case, me on this board) who said that. Or not.

Yeah, the poster who said plenty of guys brag like that and then have a bad day at the range... I can just see it... if he goes that far.

Now, I've shot some matches with some guys who can shoot and shoot accurately. They know their rifles as well as they can know 'em, handload their ammo according to what they've seen work best, and shoot a match to see their rifles perform in the company of their range buddies. But ever man or woman I shoot matches with goes into a match with a certain set of "if"'s. It's a matter of IF they can get their mechanical combinations just right like they practiced and IF they can physically/mentally make it happen between them and their rifles to hit in the black scoring rings. One thing I've noticed too... these guys do a certain amount of discussing things and sharing information about what's been working for them. Whenever I make it out to shoot a match, I usually learn something from the older competitors.

blackhawk2000
December 4, 2006, 12:44 AM
Tell him to move the target farther out.

TimboKhan
December 4, 2006, 01:13 AM
For me, it's real simple. If you can shoot that good, at reasonable ranges, you should be willing to do so for money and with me watching you. If that person isn't willing to do so, then I think they answered the question themselves.

atblis
December 4, 2006, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't waste my time thinking about it.

Similar to those low 11s (insert crappy car of your choice here).

noresttill
December 4, 2006, 01:23 AM
First, I can shoot sub .25" holes all day long...I just change the target after each shot. :neener:

Second, the guy knows he cant shoot it, your not going to convince him hes lying. You sound like me, too much time on the net :banghead:

Jesse

Erinyes
December 4, 2006, 01:24 AM
I wouldn't waste my time thinking about it.

Similar to those low 11s (insert crappy car of your choice here).Hey, my crappy 88' MR2 with 230k can run low 11s! *cough*inthe1/8th*cough*

marksman13
December 4, 2006, 02:17 AM
Sounds like a guy I know who bragged to me that he shot a bobcat with his 30-06, using a 350 grain hornady A-max bullet! Yeah...i asked him the weight of the bullet a second time to make sure I heard corecctly. Call me ignorant, but I have never heard of a 30-06 bullet that was much over 220 grains. and hell, I might have pulled the 220s out of my butt. People say the darndest things.

c_yeager
December 4, 2006, 03:35 AM
The killer for me is that he claims to be shooting factory non-match ammunition. I wont ever say that a factory rifle won't shoot 1/4MOA just because it can happen if you get lucky. However, I do not buy that regular plinking ammo is consistently shooting into a hole that big out of four different rifles.

Dr. Dickie
December 4, 2006, 08:08 AM
Hold up thumb and forefinger.
Ask him if that is 12":neener:

HGUNHNTR
December 4, 2006, 09:45 AM
Congratulations!! now buy a lottery ticket

Dravur
December 4, 2006, 11:24 AM
I can shoot 10 shots through the same hole at 1000 yards with any gun you can imagine...... Yep, I was trained to shoot the left ryr out of a flea. I have sooo much training, my brain almost explodes.

Now, here is how ya do it. Get one hole in the paper, shoot the others into the dirt and there ya go, one hole with 10 rounds through it. WHAT? you dont believe me? Sure, all 10 rounds, same hole!

hehe

rockstar.esq
December 4, 2006, 11:51 AM
With a name like "Dr. Dickie" I'd tend to stay away from anatomy based measurement systems!!!:neener:

My buddy Timbokhan and I joke at the range about how far the target is and my frequent reply to him is that we're using yards not feet nor any other body part...

Those who saw the movie "Jarhead" may remember Jamie Foxx's admonishments on the topic.

Hutch
December 4, 2006, 12:14 PM
The guy is living in a world of his own creation. If this is a really close friend, you might try helping him get in touch with reality. If not, it wouldn't be worth the effort to try to yank him back to earth. If he is truly wealthy, you might try wagering against him, with clear understanding of all the terms, conditions, and alibis before the shooting starts.

Essex County
December 4, 2006, 12:21 PM
I have an old bench gun that might do it on a perfect day with select handloads. A perfect day has to Me without coffee, a comfortable temprature, still air etcera..........Ever notice that guns shoot so much better when they're away from the range?..........Essex

db_tanker
December 4, 2006, 12:36 PM
you know...it is rather funny that you can find no one like that at the range...but as has been said...the rifle becomes more and more accurate as you get farther and farther away from the range. :)

D

Walkalong
December 4, 2006, 12:40 PM
FOUR of his completely stock rifles shoot .25" consistently with factory non match ammo.

I shoot in registered benchrest matches and he is F*** of S*** PERIOD !:banghead:

We shoot the most accurate custom actioned rifles in the world with custom 'every bullet made by hand in the same exact die' bullets and we have a hard time doing that every time with our 5 shot groups much less when we shoot 10 shot groups which is not done much anymore.

I say he needs to come to a benchrest match and kick our buts if he's that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :fire: :fire:

mustanger98
December 4, 2006, 01:24 PM
I picked up this old Remington 521-T on Gunbroker last winter... it's a great little rifle with Lyman 57RS rear and 17A front and I have the complete set of inserts for that sight system. Well, one day last spring, I sat down at the bench with it and Winchester Xpert .22LR and at 25yds, I put 8 out of 10 shots in the top half of a 1" circle and the other two went just a hair high. The gun is mechanically capable of real good accuracy. Can I get that out of it every single time out? No. I shot a couple of matches... a 50yd benchrest (B-16 target) and did fairly well, but not that great, and a sillouette. For a stand-up shooting match, they said I was doing better than some of the guys with scopes, but I shot a "B" score in both sillouette matches. See, there's a difference between talking about mechanical capability and consistency. There's also that part about plinking ammo and four different rifles shooting that tight all the time. I agree that the guy's full of crap.

GeoW
December 4, 2006, 01:27 PM
I'd have to say, "Nice shootin". I would doubt his honesty from now on though.

Some folks tell you a lie just to see if you believe it.... Will climb a tree to tell a lie. Born liars, the truth aint in 'em.

GeoW

Don't trust him around your dog, children, wife, or whiskey..

Legionnaire
December 4, 2006, 01:36 PM
What would you say to this person? Nothing. What would be the point?

doubleg
December 4, 2006, 01:54 PM
I would brag to him about my new 1911 with a scope and tactical stock, which of course fits ar 15 mags flush. :D

wanderinwalker
December 4, 2006, 02:08 PM
Now, I've shot some matches with some guys who can shoot and shoot accurately. They know their rifles as well as they can know 'em, handload their ammo according to what they've seen work best, and shoot a match to see their rifles perform in the company of their range buddies. But ever man or woman I shoot matches with goes into a match with a certain set of "if"'s. It's a matter of IF they can get their mechanical combinations just right like they practiced and IF they can physically/mentally make it happen between them and their rifles to hit in the black scoring rings. One thing I've noticed too... these guys do a certain amount of discussing things and sharing information about what's been working for them. Whenever I make it out to shoot a match, I usually learn something from the older competitors.

Sorry, but as a Highpower shooter, I don't go into a match with "IF" on my mind, it's more a matter of "I CAN" and "I WILL". ;) Other than that though, you've got it right.

Show me a rifle that will shoot .25" at 100, for 10-shots of FACTORY, NON-MATCH ammo, and you will see somebody who should have played the lotto! They're as common as the guys who can "hit a golf-ball at 200 yards, offhand, every time" showing up at a Highpower match. :rolleyes:

Shawnee
December 4, 2006, 02:37 PM
Hi Tome...

At least three of those rifles are often accurate enough to shoot a true three-shot or five-shot .25" group at 100 yards, though the "with factory ammo" makes the statement sound an awful lot like he shoots most of his groups with his keyboard rather than his rifle.

I'm with "Legionaire" on this one - why bother to say anything to the guy anyway? Who knows - might even be some 12-yr-old just having some fun raising dander among the "old Folks". Whoever he (or she) is has no business mocking you or anyone for not being as good a cyber-shot as they are.:)

Blackfork
December 4, 2006, 02:56 PM
On Sunday with my brother who hadn't shot a deer since he was a kid in 1975. We weren't really hunting, just ambushing for doe tags up at a friends ranch. I had to listen to the same kind of BS about his shooting and the dragonov he was carrying. He didn't know anything about calibers, bullet weight, barrel length, powder load, velocity....or really, anything. Nor was he interested in getting a good position, nor dry firing, et, et.

He did shoot a doe at 150 yards, when I finally prodded him to shoot because they were leaving, and when he pulled out the heart it had a 7.62 hole in it. Pure luck. (for him, not the doe) He even said the "rifle went off before he was ready."

I was being a good brother, but now we all suffer, as we will never hear the end of it.

I have a low tolerance for BS, ESPECIALLY shooting BS. He was sitting next to someone who had killed two deer a year in various habitats for the last quarter century, NM rifle team member, HM, Dist. Badge, et, et, hosted by a guy who probably puts 30,000.00 a year into the habitat on this ranch...and he won't shut up.

25 more doe tags to go. I'm taking the neighbors kid next time.

redneckdan
December 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
you're pretty much talking all bullets through the same whole with the .25/06

mustanger98
December 4, 2006, 03:55 PM
Sorry, but as a Highpower shooter, I don't go into a match with "IF" on my mind, it's more a matter of "I CAN" and "I WILL".

Don't get me wrong; confidence is great, but I've also seen the effects of overconfidence which I've observed followed by exasperation. We all go into those matches saying "I CAN" and intending the "I WILL", but any of us can have a less than satisfactory day. And the technical/mechanical combinations I was thinking of had to do with maybe making the mistake of using the wrong set of reloading dies and such as that and the shooter wasn't satisfied with the results. None of us intend to be haphazard, but stuff can happen to anybody. Nobody is invincible when we all have lives aside from this stuff. And some of those guys have been competing for 40 or 50 years. BTW, this is a small club where everybody knows everybody, but those guys are liable to shoot on the National levels of NRA competition.

wanderinwalker
December 4, 2006, 03:58 PM
mustanger,
I understood/understand you completely! I was just having a little fun.

My local area Highpower network is similar. Most of us know each other, or at least recognize each other, many have shot at the National level out at Perry, and we'll all give everyone the benefit of the doubt about a bad day after a night of whatever. You're right, it does happen to everybody. But the difference between those who are good and those who are really good is simply how often they have "one of those days."

browningguy
December 4, 2006, 04:44 PM
If he can do that with four stock rifles and non-match ammo he must be pretty well known in the shooting community. He would be winning all the hunter class matches.

SoCalShooter
December 4, 2006, 04:51 PM
He should prove it, in person at the range. With "YOUR" ruler.

MCgunner
December 4, 2006, 07:03 PM
I'd just ask him if he wanted to join me for a range day and do some shooting. If he can shoot .25" groups at 100 yards with those rifles bone stock, good on him. I know people that have spent thousands and not acheived that kind of accuracy. No matter, really. I mean, I don't need my guns to be that accurate. The deer are just as dead if you miss where you were shooting on the shoulder by 3/4". That tick you were shooting at might still be there, but the deer will still be dead.:D

Walkalong
December 4, 2006, 07:38 PM
might even be some 12-yr-old just having some fun raising dander among the "old Folks".

Worked. Gets mine up. :)

Ranger 40
December 4, 2006, 07:47 PM
I think he was saying that it was 25' not 25"? Where are these super shots when the ranges are open. Or maybe he shoots one shot with a .25 Cal. now
that would work??:confused:

mio
December 4, 2006, 08:00 PM
thanks outlaw ive wondered how moa worked but didnt want to ask

mustanger98
December 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
wanderinwalker, I'm not taking offense. I have a tendancy to take some stuff a little too seriously sometimes. I guess you can tell.

In the club I've been shooting with, they're likely to shoot smallbore sillouette one week (it's a match every month), benchrest and BR 50-50 (a match or three a year, both types in the same day while everybody's in that gear) the next week, and cast lead bullet buffalo rifles the next week. Add in Trap/Skeet, the various handgun games, and maybe a service rifle match or two. And this is all the same people who enjoy firearms in general. Some of those guys go to Perry too. And, several of them are top officers in the Georgia Sport Shooting Association and shoot around the state. I've shot at least one smallbore sillouette day where the top shooters in the state were present... they know the club and took the chance to shoot. I've thought it was great for fun shooting.:D

the difference between those who are good and those who are really good is simply how often they have "one of those days."

I know what you mean.

Most of us know each other, or at least recognize each other, many have shot at the National level out at Perry, and we'll all give everyone the benefit of the doubt about a bad day after a night of whatever.

One great thing about this crowd I've been shooting with... I'm 32 and I've been disabled since I was 18 (crazy artheritic stuff) and when they met me, they went out of their way to help me with technique among other things, adapting my "style" to their games' rules. The club ex-o is the one that signed off on me for the 50rd requirement to get my Garand from CMP.:D And some of the crowd are hunters who also shoot the matches, so some of the stuff I pick up is geared towards my deer hunting. As a group, they're cool. I haven't met more than one or two there I didn't get along with just fine.

He would be winning all the hunter class matches.

Yeah.

MCgunner, Your post reminds me... know how I sight in my .30-30 to deer hunt? I print off a target off of Remington.com (1" circle inside a 10" circle with crosshairs and 1" graduations) and set it up at 25yds. Shoot the center circle dead center for elevation. Then, I pick out a clay bird on the 100yd berm and blast it. If I can hit four or five clays in a row, the rifle's sights and I both are good to go. My reasoning... those orange clay birds ain't as big as a buck's lungs. Like you just said...

The deer are just as dead if you miss where you were shooting on the shoulder by 3/4". That tick you were shooting at might still be there, but the deer will still be dead.

Now, I got to thinking about this thread earlier and I think anybody who thinks their rifle will shoot .25" groups at any distance or won't name their distance, they're probably thinking rifles shoot like a laser beam, but they don't. I recall I thread I was in on on another board... it was purely a "top this" tall tale. I wrote in myself having a sort of "SuperGarand" I used to cut a troll's sling off at the swivels at 1200yds, one shot at each swivel. In reality, as some of us realize, if a rifle's shooting 1MOA, that's going to be 12" or a little more at 1200yds. The average Garand only had to do 4MOA to pass arsenal inspection and be accepted for duty. Even a National Match Garand with M72 won't do 1" at 1200yds. Well, too, how many of us can see sling swivels at 1200yds, but that's another story.

up_onus
December 4, 2006, 08:08 PM
HA! HES PATHETIC!!!! i can keep my groups in one perfect hole!!!! ( when i hold my gun right ON the target.....)
did i mention i can pick my nose at the same time?

hksw
December 4, 2006, 09:17 PM
Feed his ego a little and see if you or some of the others in the forum could tag along with him some day and behold his magnificant fetes of precision. (Talk is cheap.)

My prediction is either he will be too busy on every day suggested or it will be 'a windy day, more wind than he is use to', if he does shoot.

Tomekeuro85
December 4, 2006, 09:25 PM
For all of your entertainment, I have posted one of his "target pictures"...

To me, those "holes" dont even look like holes. They look like someone took a marker and made dots on a piece of cardboard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/QUALITYGUY1/DSCN0860.jpg

JohnKSa
December 4, 2006, 10:28 PM
They look like someone took a marker and made dots on a piece of cardboard.I agree--you can see where the line he drew continues and is visible over the "hole".

Mystery solved--he names his magic markers after rifles. ;)

WNTFW
December 4, 2006, 10:46 PM
Y'all are all wrong....I just got back from the range with my new sharpie (with the light grey synthetic stock)....& lets just say in can be done.

I think we have all heard some pretty wild claims over the years.

Later,
WNTFW

DaleCooper51
December 4, 2006, 10:55 PM
lol, why get so worked up over obvious bs. I would let him have his fun and just make sure that he doesnt give any detrimental advice that could get someone new to shooting hurt.

TimboKhan
December 5, 2006, 02:48 AM
Actually, its because it's such obvious BS that I get worked up. Normally, I will let guys talk a little smack. I fish, and I have certainly lied a little here any there. This just happens to be one of a couple categories that I can't let the BS slide by though. Call it a character flaw. Here is a list of the other ones that I can't let go without challenging;

1. Guys that claim to have trained as or served as a SEAL. If all the guys that I have met really were SEALS, then that means that I have met more SEALS than I have regular old Soldiers, Sailors and Marines combined. In the same vein, guys that tell outrageous lies about the armed forces in general. Rockstar.esq and I used to work with this clown that regularly laid down magnificent mounds of BS, most notably when he told us that he could choose from a 1911, a Beretta or a Glock for his duties in the AF. Its a small, simple lie, but when he tries to pass that off on me, I am obligated to call him on it.

2. Guys that claim that either they, or someone they know, hunt deer by climbing a tree, waiting for a deer to walk by and then dropping down on it with knife in hand. I have heard this one probably 20 or so times over the years, and for some reason it just fires me up.

3. My number one pet peeve in this category is guys that will argue with you when it is clear that they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. A couple of years back, Rockstar brought some of his school buddies out to do a little shooting. There was this post on a hill about 300 or so yards away, and a guy wanted to plink at it with my .22. Its a safe target, and actually fun to plink at, so I told him to aim high and hope for the best. He said he didnt need to and that he knew what he was doing. He did not.

Anyway, it's not like I get angry over these little lies, so much as it is that I get mildly annoyed.

Sunray
December 5, 2006, 03:17 AM
"...What do I tell someone like this?..." Save your breath.

evan price
December 5, 2006, 06:50 AM
"Yeah, that's pretty good, but can you do it while taking multiple .308 shots to the back, wearing your special boots they give you for Ninja-climbing up walls?"

Wish I had a box of ammo for every yahoo who has bragged about being able to shoot the spots off of a ladybug a mile away, off handed or some such crap.

EDITED TO ADD:

OMG I just read that business on TFL about Lucky in Kentucky... OMG!!!!!!!one!!!!!!eleven!!!!!! As good as anything I have seen!

Froggy
December 5, 2006, 12:10 PM
For all of your entertainment, I have posted one of his "target pictures"...

Ten rounds of factory loaded 'non-match' ammo, eh? Gotta get me some of that stuff.

ldyates
December 5, 2006, 12:19 PM
you can shoot .24" and then stick your tongue out at him.

That boy sounds like an idiot.

zinj
December 5, 2006, 01:46 PM
I love how you can still see the textures in those "holes" on his target.

There are idiots like that everywhere. At another forum I frequent a guy made the claim that he had an arsenal of around $10k-12k worth of firearms, including one of those Barrett semi-auto .50's. Now based on what this guy has said in other posts he couldn't be older than 22 and was not some prodigal investment banker. I'd like to see someone aquire that stuff making $10 an hour while still making rent, car payments, and all of those other inconvienent expenses.

He set himself up when he claimed any sniper could put all of their rounds through a nickel at 1500 yards. I just brought up the current 1000 yard record of three point something inches. Shut him up quick.

The Guy
December 5, 2006, 03:32 PM
Unless you can get him to put up some masive green, just tell him he's a maroon (just like buggs bunny said it), then ignore him till he puts up or admits he is b.s.in'.

I learned this approach while I grew up with my cousin, who is a great story teller of the type your fella seems to be. And he told me the knife tree and deer story too!:D

Remember, most people are just nodding their heads to go along untill he shuts up, so real conversation begins again.

Edited to add: Just got done with page 1 in the Lucky Strikes Gold with the B.S. Meter post. OMG, ROFLMAO!!!! And there's MORE!!

Lambo119
December 5, 2006, 03:53 PM
I have to agree with Sunray. Save your breath and just chuckle to yourself. If you attempt to call him on this or anything you will just get yourself into a neverending conversation and will be more frustrated. Remember idiots can prove, disprove or justify anything because they do not have to stick to fact.

____hoot____
December 5, 2006, 04:08 PM
huuummm, I bet he is lookin to sell those majic rifles

El Tejon
December 5, 2006, 04:15 PM
What to say?

"Let's go shooting, buddy.":)

Remember, he is your friend. No reason to fight with a fellow traveller.:)

pete f
December 5, 2006, 04:30 PM
Who really cares what he says, he lives close enough to you, offer to pay the range fees for him to prove it, it if bothers you that much. On another forum there is a guy who swears his honda civic is running low nines, how do you argue against that? I asked to see pics of the time slips, he says he tosses them. So i dropped it. Why wrestle the muddy pig, you will get dirty and it annoys the pig.

mdao
December 5, 2006, 04:46 PM
There are idiots like that everywhere. At another forum I frequent a guy made the claim that he had an arsenal of around $10k-12k worth of firearms, including one of those Barrett semi-auto .50's. Now based on what this guy has said in other posts he couldn't be older than 22 and was not some prodigal investment banker. I'd like to see someone aquire that stuff making $10 an hour while still making rent, car payments, and all of those other inconvienent expenses.

Doable. Between turning 23 and turning 24, I put ~ $4k worth in firearms and spent $5k on ammo. During the same period, I put $6k in savings, and about the same amount into my 401K. That's after paying rent and all my associated living expenses.

The trick is not making $10 an hour. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "WHat would you say to this person?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!