Help Beretta 84 hard to chamber 1st round

PDA

mxfireman
December 3, 2006, 11:42 PM
:fire: I am new to the forum and have found some great tech support from here by searching but I can't find anything on my dilema with my wifes gun. I purchased her a Beretta 84 .380 and she likes it except for the difficulty she has chambering the first round the slide is realy to strong for her to load comfortably. I have been told it his the recoil spring that controls this, could someone tell me if there is a fix for this to make it easier for her to chamber the first round. We have looked at several other guns with an easier pull on the slide but would like to stay with the Beretta due to the size and decocker.:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Beretta 84 hard to chamber 1st round" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
delta53
December 4, 2006, 09:33 AM
I have a couple of Berettas a 21A in 22 and a 87 that is the same gun you have but in 22 and they about the same as your 380 as far as loading the first round because both rounds operate in the same way and you will not be able to change anything to much without making the gun unrelable, Try a J model 38 Revolver better round anyway will not just piss off the B/G;)

Jim Watson
December 4, 2006, 10:28 AM
You bought it for her.
Was she along to evaluate and pick?
Just curious.

Reducing the recoil spring is not wise. This is a blowback action and there is nothing holding the slide shut against chamber pressure except inertia and the recoil spring. Wolff does not even list a reduced recoil spring for the model.

Granted she otherwise likes the gun, there are a few things that will help.
Technique, go to
http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.htm

Exercise. Shoot and dryfire more to build strength and hammer the technique above into reflex.

Schedule. I know a couple of ladies who only cycle their slides once per range session. After that the gun is either loaded and being shot or tabled empty with the slide locked back.

Attitude. It doesn't have to be comfortable or convenient, she just has to get it done like any other important task.

Onmilo
December 4, 2006, 11:05 AM
Here is a tip,
Try cocking the hammer first, then manually cycle the slide to chamber the first round.

mxfireman
December 4, 2006, 11:14 AM
Thanx Jim the website Corneredcat is great and my wife is going to practice.:fire:

Jim Watson
December 4, 2006, 03:16 PM
I thought of Onmilo's idea after I had left the house.
She can ease the load by cocking the hammer so she does not have to fight both recoil and mainspring at the same time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Beretta 84 hard to chamber 1st round" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!