Is this a good SKS??

PDA

Bill_G
December 4, 2006, 12:09 AM
see this link to AIM Surplus

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_Model_59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html

is this a reliable SKS? Can it use detachable magazines?

do you have links to ones you think would be better?

Thanks............Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this a good SKS??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waywatcher
December 4, 2006, 12:14 AM
I like mine a lot, its been reliable for me so far. There are 'better' SKS's out there but they are spendier.

It would require modification(s) to use detachable magazines.

blackhawk2000
December 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
In stock configuration it should be reliable. With a removable mag in it, it will almost surely not be reliable. Besides that, I think on a Yugo they are illegal.

heypete
December 4, 2006, 01:05 AM
The Yugos are great SKSs. They're a bit heavier than others, like the Chinese, but they're as close to the original Russian as you can really get.

They're durable, reliable, and practical. Not terribly accurate, but they'll get the job done -- I was getting 8" groups at 100 yards with Wolf 7.62x39mm ammo. The triggers are heavy, and mine was a little gritty, but they're useful nonetheless. Very good as a practical "trunk gun" or "emergency kit gun" in that they're rugged, durable, require minimal maintenance, can be used in semi-auto mode or switched to one-shot bolt-action mode (normally for grenade launching, but occasionally useful), and require practically no training if you need to provide one to a friend or family member in an emergency who doesn't know much about guns.

If I could afford one right now, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Simonovfan
December 4, 2006, 02:20 AM
I have an M59, which is is the version that most gun owners know; standard layout. It doesn't have the grenade launcher gear on it. I used to own a Norinco SKS about 6 years ago and this ones more accurate. It appears to be un-issued and the bore is prestine. I can shoot 3" groups at 100 yds. all day long with this one, which isn't AR accurate, but good for a com-bloc. I love it. I've heard a lot of good reviews from owners of the 59/66 on some other sites and I consider myself lucky with mine. Yugo's rock. Definately a sleeper.

Oh yeah $159.95 local. :) I plan to get one more when finances permit.

Frog48
December 4, 2006, 02:26 AM
It would require modification(s) to use detachable magazines.

Please explain. Are you referring to its legal status? Or is there a physical feature of that rifle that is different than other SKS' that would require alteration to accept hi-caps?

Simonovfan
December 4, 2006, 03:42 AM
Well, there's the duckbill mags; which are available from everyone that sells aftermarket for the SKS; some work and some don't. Take it from me that 2 out of 3 worked fine for me. Then there is is the conversion kits that were available to the SKS, that transformed it from a fixed mag to one that accepts true AK mags by gunsmithing the magwell (probably impossible to find now). Finally there is the Norinco D&M models, which from the factory allowed AK mags to be used without modification.

Unfortunately, the SKS is the antis "whipping boy" on restrictions, so your choices are in the hypothetical now. Until the Zombies come-a-Knockin', stick with the 10 rdrs. But when they do, the 30's are coming out to play. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this a good SKS??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!