CCI Blazer Brass FMJ- is really plated?

PDA

Luggernut
December 4, 2006, 01:26 AM
I bought a few boxes of CCI Blazer Brass today and one of the boxes had some damage so I checked the COL of all the cartridges. A couple were short so I put them in my kinetic bullet removed. I was quite surprised to see that the bullets were completely covered in copper- if I didn't know better I'd swear they were plated! I thought FMJ was a jacket over the lead bullet and the base was explosed lead? The only way to get a complete "cover" was via plating? Am I missing something here? Anyone else notice this?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI Blazer Brass FMJ- is really plated?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joneb
December 4, 2006, 01:50 AM
Are you sure it was FMJ and not TMJ ?

Luggernut
December 4, 2006, 01:57 AM
Absolutely.... The box is clearly labled FMJ. I'm almost tempted to disassemble some of my other Blazer Brass rounds.

Bullet
December 4, 2006, 02:07 AM
I believe CCI Blazer is using Speer bullets.

From Speer -
SPEER® Jacketed Handgun Bullets
Speer pioneered the "modern" style of jacketed handgun bullets many years ago. These high-performance bullets proved so popular and effective that they're still in the line today. Construction is either Uni-Cor® or conventional, depending on the application. Suitable for just about every type of shooting sport from plinking to hunting, they are available in calibers from 32 to 50.

Luggernut
December 4, 2006, 02:14 AM
Bullet- maybe Speer makes TMJ/Plated, however I've purchased Speer FMJ bullets for this exact cartridge (.45 ACP) in the exact same weight- 230 grains and it is FMJ- with exposed lead on the base.

No big deal, I've started to use Berrys plated bullets recently anyway. I just thought FMJ and plated were different....:confused: And I'm curious. I've used CCI Blazer Brass on a regular basis and have just recently started reloading. It's been great ammo for me... and is a source of good brass for my reloading hobby. :D

Luggernut
December 4, 2006, 02:23 AM
Well this kind of makes sense now... I guess CCI calls it full jacket with a protected base... I guess that's another name for plated...

"BLAZER® BRASS
CCI Blazer has been a great value for a quarter-century. We just made it better. Blazer Brass is loaded in conventional brass cases that reload like any other. We’ve extended our experience in high-tech case-making to include brass, and you reap the benefits.
We load Blazer Brass with full-jacket bullets with a protected base. And here’s the great news: Blazer Brass is priced to compete with imports, but is 100 percent American-made. American labor, American components, and American quality go into every round. Why buy ammo from a country you’ve never heard of when you can get great performance in affordable ammo made in the USA?

FEATURES & BENEFITS:
Reloadable brass cases with standard Boxer primer pockets
Protected-base FMJ bullets for clean shooting
Available in 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 45 Auto
Clean-burning American propellants
CCI primers, also American made
Backed by ISO-certified quality systems
Did we say Blazer Brass is made in America? Well, it is! "

Bullet
December 4, 2006, 02:33 AM
Speer dosen't list any conventional bullets in 45 auto only Uni-cor or lead.

Luggernut
December 4, 2006, 02:37 AM
Here are the FMJ Speer bullets I've used.. they are traditional FMJ- base is exposed lead. Dillon lists them as Speer and the box says Speer on it as well.... someone else asked me about this too.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=42&min=0&dyn=1&

Bullet
December 4, 2006, 02:49 AM
I believe Speer must have gone to only Uni-cor or lead for components. Maybe they make both conventional and Uni-cor in loaded ammo. Or maybe there are still some older style bullets on some shelves. I don’t know for sure, but Speer’s Uni-core bullets seem to be what they use in their Gold Dots. I like them.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI Blazer Brass FMJ- is really plated?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!