Heat treatment for strengthening?

PDA

boomer1911a1
December 4, 2006, 02:34 PM
I think I may be getting a NIB EAA Witness Elite Match 10mm for Christmas, and have thus been researching them over on 10mmTalk. I have read a couple on instances of Witness frames cracking, and have had personal experience with an early version Witness .45 (1992-ish vintage) behaving badly.

My question is this: is there a heat treatment (or a cryogenic treatment, for that matter) that will demonstrably increase frame strength? I want to go with a through-and-through treatment, rather than a plating.

Thanks for any help!

BT

If you enjoyed reading about "Heat treatment for strengthening?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
December 4, 2006, 02:59 PM
I have not heard of any aftermarket heat treating of finished guns; barring a few places that do Mauser actions as another way of throwing money at army surplus.

boomer1911a1
December 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
So I take it you're recommending AGAINST the mauser-action thing? :)

Alvin in AZ
December 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
I'm with JimW on that.

Where you at?
Get ahold of a heat treater and find out?

It's just a matter of figuring out (for sure!) what steel it is, then deciding on a heat treatment. They will know what can and can't be done. You might have to draw up some legal papers? ;)

If it's 4140 or 4340 the frame might be reheat treated to form Bainite.

BTW forget about the "cryo crap" ok? ;)

A cold treatment before the first temper has legitamacy the other ones haven't been proven, so looked upon by metallurgist as hype and jive.

Alvin in AZ (steel metallurgy for a hobby;)

boomer1911a1
December 4, 2006, 03:18 PM
Texas, DFW area.

I guess I'll either have to wait and look at the thing when I get it OR contact EAA... which sounds dicey considering their customer service rep. Maybe a local gunsmith can tell me...

Jim Watson
December 4, 2006, 06:05 PM
If you are to get a proper heat treat, you need to know the alloy. Tanfoglio's website is uninformative on that, some makers brag about their steel, but not them that I can find. EAA? Yuk.

Just beat it to death and frame the wreckage as a memento.

HSMITH
December 4, 2006, 07:42 PM
I would put a buffer in it and try to kill it, if I was able to kill it I would consider myself fortunate to have the time and money to have been able to do it and look for my next 'victim'.

I really don't mind shooting guns until they need repaired or replaced, I hope and pray that many many more might meet their demise in my hands.

mrmeval
December 5, 2006, 02:34 AM
If you manage to kill it have the frame welded and kill it again. :)

You can have the metal analyzed to find out what it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heat treatment for strengthening?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!