Build a 10/22?

PDA

LkWinnipesaukee
December 4, 2006, 03:48 PM
Hey guys,

I was toying with the idea of building a 10/22. How hard is it for someone to build it? I assume I'll just need the stock, action and barrel.

So they just all screw together? Or are special tools/skill involved?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Build a 10/22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JesseL
December 4, 2006, 03:59 PM
No special tools required for a 10/22 (unless you count an allen wrench as a special tool).

Do you plan on buying all the parts separately? Unless you plan to use a fancy Volquartsen receiver, the cheapest route may be to pick up a basic 10/22 for the receiver and trigger group at Wal-Mart and resell the parts you end up replacing.

LkWinnipesaukee
December 4, 2006, 07:28 PM
What stock and barrel would you recommend for around $100 each? I'd like to keep it fairly light weight and use it for both benchrest and lugging around the woods. Sounds like a fun little project

Thanks

Outlaws
December 4, 2006, 07:38 PM
I can't speak from experience, but from all the targets I have seen, a $100 barrel probably won't improve accuracy anymore than the factory barrel.

If you just want light weight, you can't get much lighter weight than the factory barrel anyways. The fluted bull barrels just take weight off the bull barrel, they don't make a bull barrel lighter than the factory barrel. And fluting costs money, so if you get a fluted bull barrel for $100, you lost something else for the price of the fluting...and it will no doubt be the potential accuracy of a barrel replacement.

www.rimfirecentral.com has everything you will ever need to know plus a lot more.

Jubjub
December 4, 2006, 08:01 PM
Midway sells some stock and barrel combos with the Fajen laminated stocks and their Adams & Bennett barrels. This one comes in at just a bit over $200. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=694352

I have one of the Adams & Bennett barrels on one of my guns, and it shoots as well as any barrel I have, including barrels that cost twice as much.

You want to do a bit of research about the components to figure out the final configuration. I have one with a 20" bull barrel, laminated stock, and a 6-24x scope that weighs about nine pounds. On the other hand, my squirrel gun has a sixteen inch carbon fiber and a synthetic stock with a 6x scope, and weighs a bit under six pounds.

As always when threads about 10/22s show up here, let me recommend a trip over to http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/.

hksw
December 4, 2006, 08:07 PM
I can't speak from experience, but from all the targets I have seen, a $100 barrel probably won't improve accuracy anymore than the factory barrel.

Depends on the barrel. You can get a Green Mountain barrel for ~$80 that will group well inside the factory barrel. None of the factory barrels I've ever shot (6 or 7) would shoot under 0.75" at 50 yds regularly.

wally
December 4, 2006, 09:28 PM
Here's the thread I started a while back when I upgraded a 10/22 blaster to a shooter:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=131138

--wally.

270Win
December 4, 2006, 09:31 PM
Building a 10/22 is one of the most fun gun-related activities I've ever undertaken. Stock rifle was ok... nothing special. I replaced every part but the receiver, and now it's a hell of a lot of fun, and quite a bit more accurate! It's not very difficult, everything connects in a very intuitive way, and you don't need any special tools. Plan ahead!

If you enjoyed reading about "Build a 10/22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!