How difficult is it to add a vented rib to a shotgun barrel?

PDA

1KPerDay
December 4, 2006, 06:26 PM
I just bought a plain 2 3/4" chambered barrel for my Remington 1100 Magnum (so I can shoot target loads in it) and was wondering how difficult it would be to add a VR. The barrel isn't pristine (has some blueing rub marks) so I was thinking of at least touching up the blue anyway.

Thanks for any input.:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "How difficult is it to add a vented rib to a shotgun barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
December 4, 2006, 07:53 PM
There used to be a DIY ventilated rib but I cannot now find it. Even Brownells doesn't carry ventilated ribs for gunsmith installation any more.
Polychoke will put one on for $150 but that would be a good start on a whole barrel.

HSMITH
December 4, 2006, 08:43 PM
The ONLY places I would send a barrel to have a rib added or fixed would be Simmons Gun in Kansas or Briley.

mscott
December 4, 2006, 09:34 PM
You can get a brand new barrel for under $200. I'd take that route.

Jim K
December 4, 2006, 10:15 PM
Try a Google search on "ventilated rib install" and several companies will turn up.

Jim

1KPerDay
December 5, 2006, 01:30 PM
Mmmm... cost seems prohibitive indeed. You can find VR barrels for sale online for around what they're charging for a VR install. Mebbe I'll saw this one down to 18.5" for HD.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "How difficult is it to add a vented rib to a shotgun barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!