Savage 110 7 Mag

PDA

Duboise01
December 4, 2006, 09:49 PM
I just recently got a Savage 110 7 mag. I am not real familar with this caliber. I would really like to know the Accurate Distance that this rifle has. I have sighted in at 2 inches high at 100 yards. I am hunting a gas line and I can easily see 800 yards either way sometimes more. I am shooting a Winchester ballistic Tip 150 grain bullet. I am only whitetail deer hunting with it. I also hunt with a Remington Model 700 270 I also shoot a Winchester Ballistic Tip 150 grain out of it. How do these two rifles compare yardage wise? Thanks for all your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 110 7 Mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Essex County
December 5, 2006, 02:23 PM
In real hunting situations I'd wager you shoudn't woory about it.. I had a bottom line Savage in 7 Mag years ago and it shot very well, but had no real advantage over the .270. Enjoy Your Savage...........Essex

atblis
December 5, 2006, 06:01 PM
Go to Remington's website, and download their free ballistics program.
You've probably got ~300 yards of range where you don't have to worry about elevation. Past that it gets interesting real quick. A misjudgement of as little as 50 yards could mean a miss.

MrDig
December 5, 2006, 06:24 PM
according to the Winshoot program 150gr ballistic tip would shoot 2.28 inches high at 100 yards for a 250 yard zero. Your going to be in the boiler room easy with what you are saying.

MCgunner
December 5, 2006, 07:54 PM
according to the Winshoot program 150gr ballistic tip would shoot 2.28 inches high at 100 yards for a 250 yard zero. Your going to be in the boiler room easy with what you are saying.

That's about right for my 150 Sierra Game King handloads. It has a point blank range on deer a little over 300 yards and no lack of energy as far as it shoots. It has significantly more energy than the 270, but not a lot more effective on deer. I'd prefer it on elk, though.

My 7 mag is a Savage 110 bought around 1990. It shoots well with Sierra 150 game kings or Nosler 160 grain partitions.

atblis
December 6, 2006, 11:19 AM
I didn't see the question about 270.

Ooops. Didn't remember correctly. As far as drop, it's about equal. They both give you ~300 yards of not having to worry (assuming you sight them in correctly).

The difference between 270 and 7mm mag doesn't seem to be too signifigant. Are the factory number correct?
7mm is a 150 at 3100 fps
270 is a 150 at 2950 fps
and in theory 270 should have a slight edge in BC at equal bullet weights.
Check out the link below for a comparison of bullet path. Note that they are sighted in slightly differently.
Assuming those numbers are correct, 7mm doesn't seem to get you much. That can't be right. Barrel length differences?
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/atblis/270_vs_7mm.BMP

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 110 7 Mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!