What's a good long gun?

PDA

Whiterook
December 5, 2006, 01:16 PM
I've almost decided to buy an M1A but I want to make sure I didn't overlook any other options. I want to be able to mount a scope, magazine fed (not bolt action), accurate at distance, very dependable, useing a common caliber of ammo. I want something a step up from my AR. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's a good long gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
December 5, 2006, 01:29 PM
FAL you can do anything from a build your own kit to a tricket out custom

chambered in 7.62 nato, same at the M1a. extremely reliable, parts everywhere

Bazooka Joe71
December 5, 2006, 01:41 PM
Just out of curiousity, how much would I expect to may for a nice FAL?

rockstar.esq
December 5, 2006, 04:33 PM
Built out of a parts kit $700.00 or so, same goes for used at gunshows.
DSA new FAl runs $1,500.00 or so (roughly the same as an M1A). Be advised that there are metric and inch pattern FAL's that are NOT interchangable. Opinions will abound on both however I'd verify that you obtain a model with a bolt hold open feature as some of them don't have this.
Before anyone runs with this there are also a number of kinda FALs to include the G3, CETME, and H&K 91. All utilize different locking mechanisms and vary in quality from impressive to dangerous. Be advised that opinions will run hot and heavy regarding Century arms FALs, those debates are searchable.

Dionysusigma
December 5, 2006, 04:40 PM
Mosin-Nagant M91/30s are nice and long when the bayonet's attached. :) :D

All jokes aside, the FAL is a decent option. With all sorts of different goodies, they're customizable (in a good way)--so much so, that my only complaint with the FAL (ergonomics) is now a moot point.

Outlaws
December 5, 2006, 04:56 PM
I've almost decided to buy an M1A but I want to make sure I didn't overlook any other options. I want to be able to mount a scope, magazine fed (not bolt action), accurate at distance, very dependable, useing a common caliber of ammo. I want something a step up from my AR. Any suggestions?

Maybe I just read this wrong, but every firearm that isn't a single shot is "magazine fed" just incase you don't know. I take it you meant a detachable magazine and also in semi-automatic?

If that is the case, have you considered holding off a little and taking a look at that new Sig 556 that (contrary to popular belief...I would like to think...) is coming out soon? Its still a 5.56mm but it looks very cool IMO.

If not I would look at an FAL. If I wanted something in .308 and semi auto, that would seem like a good place to start. ...assuming you want a change of pace and don't want an AR-10.

Kali Endgame
December 5, 2006, 04:56 PM
Ooops! My mistake.

MRJ152
December 5, 2006, 06:29 PM
The beowulf looks kind of interesting. I've never shot one, but heard the are pretty nice rifles. Just throwing it out there. You'll have to do the research. I'm guessing a little expensive to shoot though.

BozemanMT
December 5, 2006, 06:40 PM
M1A/M14
Good ergo's, bolt hold open
GREAT sights (much much better than the FAL's)
low recoil
and it's pretty
and mags are affordable again.

The FAL probably works better out of the box, but that's it, it's 90% done. The ergo's on the M14 are better and the sights are much better.
The mags for a FAL are amazingly cheap.

TexasRifleman
December 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
M1A/M14, whatever you want to call them are fantastic rifles but.....

They are NOT the easiest to mount a scope on, so keep that in mind if scoping is something you want to do.

rbernie
December 5, 2006, 06:56 PM
For the kind of money it takes to get into a scoped M1A, I'm partial to the AR10.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47518&d=1162954313

Same manual of arms and overall feel/ergos as your AR15, just super-sized. :D

Bottom Gun
December 5, 2006, 10:30 PM
I vote for the AR-10 as well. I love mine.

rangerruck
December 5, 2006, 10:44 PM
saiga.

RockyMtnTactical
December 5, 2006, 11:37 PM
AR-10, FAL, Saiga

AR-10 would be my preference for ease in mounting optics.

Will Fennell
December 6, 2006, 12:06 AM
I'm very happy with my new FAL......simplier than M1A, more rugged than AR10. Lotsa stuff for them.....easy to mount a scope....what's not to luv;)

If you enjoyed reading about "What's a good long gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!