Model 19 for CCW. Good Idea ? ?

PDA

winwun
May 23, 2003, 09:20 PM
I have a like new model 19 .357 that is a tack driver with some mild loads that I use for target work to coddle my arthritic joints.

I would like very much to use it for my CCW rather than the snubbie 36, but the 36 does work well in an In-The-Pants holster.

Does anyone know if there is a decent In-The-Pants rig for the 19 ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 19 for CCW. Good Idea ? ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
May 23, 2003, 09:42 PM
There are tons of IWB ("inside waist band") rigs for that gun - most of them will say "S&W model 66" but that's the same gun as your 19, except stainless.

What's your barrel length? At 4" it'll be tricky but doable, at 2.5" it'll carry like a dream.

Mike Irwin
May 24, 2003, 01:22 AM
I carry both a 2.5" and a 4" Model 19 in shoulder holsters quite frequently during the winter.

Poohgyrr
May 24, 2003, 07:25 PM
I think it's a fine idea, a lot of folks have, and still do, CCW M19's. They are great revolvers for starters. Like you said, the M36 is really easy to carry. But the M19 should be much easier to shoot with .38's, and is really good with magnums, from the mid power loads to the full power ones.

There are a lot more holsters out there now then we used to have. I still have a Sparks Summer Special 2 made for an old Ruger, but it works fine with a 3" Smith M65. I can't think of all the holster makers I've heard good things about, but check around here, or at the www.smith-wessonforum.com and you'll probably find at least a couple that you like.

chaim
May 25, 2003, 01:22 AM
I think that your M19 IWB with your 36 either in a pocket holster or in an ankle holster as backup should things get really ugly is just about a perfect combination. You have the easier to shoot gun with an extra round to boot as your primary and it shouldn't be hard to conceal in a good IWB holster (heck, around the house I sometimes use a cheap Uncle Mike's for my 3" 65LS and some very anti-gun family members have never noticed). Then you have a good hideout gun in case you run out of rounds (and if you carry speedloaders you could carry the smaller J-frame speedloaders with this combo). Both will be highly reliable.

As I'm sure you are very familiar the M19 is a K-frame. Any holster made for any K-frame should work (I don't think many cover the rear sight in a way in which it would matter if the holster was made for a fixed sight or adjustable sight gun). There are so many millions of S&W M10s out there alone that just about everyone who makes holsters probably has a model (or 5) for the K-frame revolver.

Mike Irwin
May 25, 2003, 02:25 AM
"Any holster made for any K-frame should work..."

Not necessarily.

The 19 has a 2.5" barrel, the Model 10 has a 2" or 3" barrel.

With some form fitting leather holsters you simply can't make a K-frame holster work with the 19 if it's for the 2" barrel.

Richard
May 25, 2003, 03:05 AM
Lou Alessi's hard Shell Talon should work well for you. This is a great IWB holster at a modest price. Regards, Richard:D

chaim
May 25, 2003, 03:19 AM
Mike's right, I should have been more specific. Any K-frame holster for your barrel length should work fine. Still, with the sheer numbers of K-frames in 4", 3", 2.5", 2", 6" etc. you shouldn't have a problem finding a holster unless you have a very unusual barrel length (an old gun with a barrel length not seen in a while or some odd custom length might or might not be a problem).

Round Gun Shooter
May 25, 2003, 11:26 AM
Here is a 2.5" Model 66 in an Alessi holster. Excellent fit, very comfortable.
http://www.fototime.com/82181489B6D0A14/standard.jpg

Regards,

sm
May 25, 2003, 03:31 PM
For mod 19 2.5 " I used a S&W holster I ordered way back for a model 64 3" HB.

Holster worked for a variety of 2.5" and 3" K frames I have CCW-ed (10,19, 66,64,15,) Looks like a Galco, pancake ,bit of a fwd cant, high ride, OWB. High Noon has one similar,
(just always used 3" leather, 2.5" gun a given)

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/

though not listed, I do know they make one

winwun
May 25, 2003, 09:18 PM
I went to the gun show this morning and bought ($12.00) an inside-the-pants holster for the 19, and the whole package makes a lump almost the size of a brick, so another good idea down the tubes.

I think now I will concentrate on getting someone to put a 4 or 5" barrel on my 36.

Any ideas on a good 'smith to do the job?

My basic desire is for accuracy, I didn't necessarily want the extra round, and although it would have been nice to have 6 instead of 5, I wouldn't get hung up over that.

I saw some nice, thin autos at the show. Shame I can't feel comfortable with a self-shucker. I have the little new Browning .380 made by Beretta, and while it seems to be the best auto I have ever had, I wouldn't want it to be my carry choice. It's a bit thick, for one thing.

Speaking of carrying an auto, any thoughts on carrying with the slide locked back, so when you want to put it to use, a flick of the thumb on the slide release handle and a round is in battery? This would seem better than carrying with one in the chamber and having to go double on the trigger, or cocking first to go single.

Ala Dan
May 25, 2003, 10:54 PM
Hello winwun-my friend,

The Browning BDA .380 auto makes for a very fine
CCW. Since 1988, I have relied on self-loader's for
personal defense; and while the .380 ACP round
IS NOT my first choice, I would feel comfortable
with the Browning, and the proper load.

However, you can't go wrong with a S&W model
19; stoked with Federal's 125 grain "Hydra-Shok"
JHP's, in .357 magnum!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Mannlicher
May 26, 2003, 12:25 AM
I carry my 4 inch Model 19 in a cross draw Sam Andrews holster. I don't really like IWB for revolvers, so mine is worn outside.

winwun
May 26, 2003, 09:40 AM
Mannlicher, sounds great, but wouldn't this require a jacket ?

I could go for that in winter, but summer would dictate that the shirttail be worn outside, and even at that, wouldn't there be significant "printing" ? While I dont give a crap about what anyone thinks of my dress code, there are instances where, like a good russian, one would want to tuck in the shirt.

justice4all
May 27, 2003, 10:21 PM
I often carry a 4" M66 in the winter, but you're right, it's a lot harder in the summer. I wouldn't sweat the accuracy issue too much. Gunfights don't often happen at great distances.

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 19 for CCW. Good Idea ? ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!