Model 70 XTR Featherweight

PDA

counterman6
December 5, 2006, 08:23 PM
Many years ago my father gave me a an XTR Featherweight in .243. I've been researching the line recently and have read many discouraging words about the accuracy of this rifle. First, is it true that they are less accurate than other model 70's? And second, why?
I'll admit, I've never gotten a great group out of the the thing though it is pretty and a joy to carry all day in the woods.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 70 XTR Featherweight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stormspotter
December 5, 2006, 09:35 PM
Several years ago I had one in 257 Roberts and it shot 1 minute of deer every time. Couldn't ask for anything better. For what its worth the longest shot I took with it was a little over 275 yds. A nice doe fell where it was standing and never moved.

Wish I still had it.:banghead:

Chawbaccer
December 5, 2006, 09:45 PM
I have a push feed Featherweight in 308. Two inches at a hundered yards seems to be it's limit. These guns were never ment to be super accurate but mine's a joy to carry in the woods.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
December 6, 2006, 02:00 AM
I ended up putting a shim between the stock's forend tip and the barrel. Used a business card, trimmed to fit. Tightened up the groups considerably. That has been one observation of most of the later M70's I've seen that really makes a difference.

Try it and tell us how it works out.

Regards,
Rabbit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 70 XTR Featherweight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!