AIM's Ishapore 7.62 Enfields: Five months later

PDA

jagdpanzer347
December 5, 2006, 10:41 PM
Greetings all. When these rifles showed up on AIM's website about five months ago, they created quite the stir. I'm surprised they still have them in stock.

So, how does everyone like their's? How does it shoot? Have you refinished it? Any before and after pictures would be great. Mine still await their turn to be cleaned/refinished, etc. So many greasy rifles, so little time!

-jagd

If you enjoyed reading about "AIM's Ishapore 7.62 Enfields: Five months later" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FIFTYGUY
December 5, 2006, 10:46 PM
The magazines, both original and the (aftermarket?) ones don't have good control of the .308 round. Tends to jam a lot if you don't work the bolt smoothly and deliberately.

I seriously thought of modifying the receiver to take M14 mags, which I've already got plenty of.

I *did* blow up some known bad ammo in my Ishapore. Cartridge case split from the primer flash hole up to the shoulder. Blew the mag out of the bottom of the gun, and sent the extractor spring into outer space. No damage to the mag or the catch. Replaced the spring and she's just fine.

Shoots OK. That metal butt plate is very durable but rough on the shoulder.

El Tejon
December 5, 2006, 11:01 PM
I have four. Cleaned up one, others still in grease as will be planted this Spring.

It shoots 2" to 3" at 100 with commerical ammo off a bench with sandbags with irons (when I verfied zero this summer). I have shot it out to 150 but nothing farther.

No problems cycling the weapon. I may be lucky.

rbernie
December 5, 2006, 11:07 PM
The magazines, both original and the (aftermarket?) ones don't have good control of the .308 round. The magazine is designed to be matched to the rifle, and it's likely that the AIM specials aren't.

The mags are adjusted by bending on the feed lips and by bending on the two tabs sticking up on the top of the follower. It's not hard - just stare at things and work out the details to get the rounds to release sooner/later/higher/lower.

Dave R
December 6, 2006, 01:41 AM
Mine feeds fine. However, ejection is pretty iffy. I do a lot of open bolt/turn rifle on its side so the empty rolls out/close bolt.

Accuracy is pretty good, though. About what El Tejon said.

.45&TKD
December 6, 2006, 03:59 AM
Bought one when they first came out.

Have not been to the range yet, but will this month and post results.

MechAg94
December 6, 2006, 08:52 AM
I like mine. I haven't completely cleaned it up yet, but it shot fairly well about like mentioned above. Definitely a good gun for the price.

ScottsGT
December 6, 2006, 09:00 AM
Mine feeds fine. However, ejection is pretty iffy. I do a lot of open bolt/turn rifle on its side so the empty rolls out/close bolt.

The .308 Ishy uses the magazine lip to eject. Don't be confused with the ejector screw in the receiver. It is left there as a throw back to the .303 enfield. You need to bend the lip of the mag up just a tad so the rim of the shell just touches it when extracting. I fought this issue for weeks with my old enfield I had.

B.D. Turner
December 6, 2006, 09:14 AM
These rifles were intended to be loaded from a stripper clip this fact has confused many who have owned these and has led to more than a few people getting rid of a good rifle. The mag should be fitted to the rifle and only removed to clean the rifle to prevent damage to the lips of the mag. All I have ever owned came with feeding problems right out of the box. A little tune up of the mag and it works just fine.

FIFTYGUY
December 6, 2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks, guys! Very good info.

Who'd have thunk that somebody designed a mass-produced military rifle with a detachable mag that was neither intended to be detached in use, nor interchangable with other rifles of the same type? Idiots...:banghead:

I may have to rectify that design error by force-fitting the M14 mags after all...

If you enjoyed reading about "AIM's Ishapore 7.62 Enfields: Five months later" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!