bullet diameter

PDA

thmsfraz
December 6, 2006, 12:05 AM
i was noticing when going to buy bullets for my 45 colt that thre are many different bullet diameters ranging from 451 to 458 and also some marked 45 long colt what is the difference and what type do i need to reload a 45 colt also i am having a lot of unburned powder left in the barrel and the cylinder and a lot of black residue my thoughts were to go with a magnum primer i am loading with imr 4227 thanks for any response

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet diameter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
December 6, 2006, 12:47 AM
In general .451" is for .45 ACP jacketed;
.452" is for .45 Colt jacketed or cast and .45 ACP cast.
.454" is the old Colt diameter and some guns will still do well with it.
.458" is for .45 caliber rifles like .45-70, not revolvers.

I would buy .452s for a modern .45 Colt and be sure that they are real revolver bullets with a crimp groove.

4227 is a rather slow burning powder for a revolver and is going to leave unburnt powder at anything short of an utter maximum magnumized level. A magnum primer and a strong crimp will improve its burnup but it will never get real "clean."

If you are not loading for big game in a strong gun like a Ruger, you would do better with a medium burning powder. Unique is good or look in your manual - you DO have a manual, don't you? - and find a powder that 7 to 10 grains gives 800 or 850 fps and you will be close to standard ballistics.

thmsfraz
December 6, 2006, 01:08 AM
would it also be a good idea to go with a magnum primer with the unique powder also thanks

mete
December 6, 2006, 03:56 AM
Unique powder has been around for a long time actually starting out as a rifle powder ! It's fast enough in burning rate to need only the standard primer.

Ben Shepherd
December 6, 2006, 10:28 AM
Thmsfraz:

EXACTLY what 45 colt? A ruger? A taurus? A smith? A marlin levergun? Big difference in what you can and should load depending on exact launch platform.

Novus Collectus
December 6, 2006, 10:44 AM
I loaded IMR 4227 in .45 LC for shooting out of a revolver and I was dissapointed with how many grains of uncompletely burnt 4227 there was in the barrel (I mean actual grains and particles of powder, not weight "grains").

I tried looking up the loading I was using in other manuals and I discovered that only one manual that I saw even listed IMR 4227 for .45 LC in a pistol (I think it was Lee, but don't hole me to that).

Now I have a nearly two pounds of powder just sitting around until I start reloading a rifle caliber that uses it.

By the way, I don't like Unique and lately I've been very happy with Win 231.

highlander 5
December 6, 2006, 01:41 PM
which ever pistol you have check the chamber mouths first.
I've had 8-10 45 Colt revolvers and can tell you from experience
chamber mouths have run from .450 in a Ruger Blackhaw to .455 in a Colt Anaconda. Bore size is important but if your chamber mouths are too big or too small accuracy is going to be mediocre.
Too small is easily fixed to big on the other hand is a problem.
The last Ruger I bought the chamber mouths were .452 dia bore was .4515 and i get good accuracy out of it
if chamber mouth dia is larger than bore dia go with the chamber mouth dia and you will be ok

thmsfraz
December 6, 2006, 06:01 PM
the gun i am reloading for is taurus with a 7 1/2 barrell thanks for all the replys

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet diameter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!