Hornady L-N-L Power Through Expander Issue

PDA

Empyrean
December 6, 2006, 07:02 AM
Hey guys,

I just received my new L-N-L AP press and I am setting things up. I am replacing my Dillon 550 with it. I wanted auto-indexing and a case feeder with the ease of quick caliber changes. Anyway, I was setting up for 9mm and purchased the .355 expander accordingly.

The problem is that with the powder die screwed all the way down to the shellplate the expander does not make any visible bell to the case mouth. With my Dillon 550, the amount of belling was adjustable and quite noticible but still just enough to have the bullet set there and be properly aligned. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I thought maybe I should be using one of the bushings that came with the powder measure. That didn't work either. I'm reaching out here because I have a call in to Hornady for two days now waiting for an engineer to call me back.

Does anyone have a .355 powder through expander that they could provide the dimensions? I'm wonder if mine is the incorrect length. Perhaps I a missing something...

Thanks in advance.

--AJ

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady L-N-L Power Through Expander Issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Idano
December 6, 2006, 01:43 PM
Empyrean I wasn't impressed with the Hornady case activated linkage kit that came with the Hornady L-N-L Progressive press. I thought there was too much slop in the linkage and the spacers didn't make a tight fit in the expander die. I never could get consistent powder drops so I am using my RCBS Uniflow with a RCBS case activated linkage that I had used on my Lee Load Master.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48336&d=1164272919

If you get your's working please let me know exactly how you set it up, otherwise my Hornady measure and linkage will end up on eBay. Other then the powder measure I love the press. I am currently only loading .223, .9mm and .40 S&W, but I have run probably 4,000 rounds through it so far. I have added an RCBS (Same as Dillon) low primer alarm and a digital case counter that counts on the prime stroke (it is the black meter by the case feeder drop tube). I am also working on fitting a Dillon low powder alarm to my RCB Uniflow measure.

Empyrean
December 6, 2006, 02:15 PM
Idano,

Can you detail how you set up the case counter? Where did you get it from? Also, my CAPD linkage looks identical to your RCBS set-up. I wonder if you have an older version of the Hornady powder measure? Do you have a picture of your Hornady powder measure linkage? The CAPD allows me to remove the expander die and add a powder cop die.

--AJ

Shoney
December 6, 2006, 02:42 PM
First, 1-800-338-3220 call them again, they have always been of great help and I have never had to wait.

Have you cleaned your powder measure??? Have you read your manual
http://www.hornady.com/media/LNL_AP_Powder_Measure_Feeder.pdf
where it tells you to disassemble and clean a new measure because it has a rust preventative that will prevent proper operation?????

I am unaware of Hornady having a Powder-thru-expander die??? Are you sure?
I have an older LNL, but my understanding (and I may be wrong here) is that if you are to use the powder thru expander (other brand), you will have to throw charges manually. In other words, the case activated powder drop can not be hooked up.

My station dies are set up as follows for jacketed bullets: resizing, expander, case activated LNL powder measure, powder cop, seat/crimp.
For lead I remove the cop (and use ball powders that have high load density and meter perfectly every time) and add a factory crimp at end for a separate seat/crimp operation.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
December 6, 2006, 02:57 PM
Shoney,

Hornady does have powder through expansion now, but it's on their latest CAPD.

Empyrean,

Without a picture, I'm not sure which version of the Hornady case activated powder drop you have received, but I've personally experienced vendors clearing out the "old" style before shipping the new style. I'd check Hornady's website and see which one you have, especially if you bought your powder through expander separately.

All that said, if you got the old style and wanted the new, send it back to the vendor and get them to send you the new style. Once you are sure you have the newer CAPD, in hand, call Hornady and ask for Bob in Tech. Support. He's the best of their tech guys and can talk you through setting the powder through expansion up.

I apologize, I'd post a picture of the new style CAPD, but I don't have one, as I have an older LnL press before the new CAPD came out. This is the exact same type setup as Idano has in his picture. Hornady makes the old style for CAPD for RCBS now.

Regards,

Dave

Empyrean
December 6, 2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I have cleaned everything thoroughly as discussed in the manual. I do believe I have the case-activated powder drop. My powder measure came with my press and my press serial # is in the 10,000 range. I'm going to call them back in a few as I really want to get this up and running for the weekend.

1911user
December 6, 2006, 03:19 PM
The CAPD on the uniflow measure in Idano's picture IS the newest style hornady CAPD (notice the short spring). The older style used a much longer spring and was attached to different locations.

If a brand new LNL-AP press (with SN above 10,000) came with the older style CAPD, I'm sure Hornady would like to know since someone swapped the CAPDs.

Empyrean
December 6, 2006, 03:28 PM
Yep, I have the one with the short spring. I just can't figure why the expander doesn't bell the case mouth. Very strange.

Shoney
December 6, 2006, 03:34 PM
Dave: I was unable to find the powder-thru-expander in the Hornady manual I referenced above. It does not have it. However, I did find it under the powder measure section of the main site.

Do they just simply replace the current drop tubes in the case activation section of the powder die?

LHB1
December 6, 2006, 03:58 PM
AJ,
Can't help you with the powder thru mechanism as both of my Hornady L-N-L presses were bought before that became available. The person who CAN help you is Doug Derner. Call Hornady at 1-800-338-3220 and ask for Doug or transfer to his extension (206). He has been very helpful with minor problems or adjustments on all four of my Hornady presses. Suggestion: Have your press serial number handy when you talk with him as that will enable him to help solve your problem.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Empyrean
December 6, 2006, 05:06 PM
For those who are interested, my .355 expander is too short. I'm glad I took measurements prior to going to work. I talked to the engineer, Greg, and he was quite helpful.

Also, he was 98% positive that they have decided to sell the standard pistol metering insert separately. You will no longer have to purchase the entire pistol rotor. He couldn't find the part number. I am going to follow up on this as I bought three entire rotor/insert assemblies.

Luggernut
December 6, 2006, 10:20 PM
Empyrean- so was the problem a bad expander? By too short was it just made wrong?

cobra1414
December 6, 2006, 11:15 PM
that doesn't make sense...you need the rotor with the smaller hole to fit the pistol meter insert

though for what its worth the standard rifle rotor it comes with can be measured down to around 4 grains, so if you're aren't loading less than that you don't need to bother with the pistol rotor, or micrometer. Although it does make it easier to adjust down at those low charge levels

Idano
December 7, 2006, 01:21 AM
The CAPD on the uniflow measure in Idano's picture IS the newest style hornady CAPD (notice the short spring). The older style used a much longer spring and was attached to different locations.

This is the exact same type setup as Idano has in his picture.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA and 1911user sorry to tell you guys but the CAPD in my picture is not made by Hornady, it is an old RCBS CAPD, I have attached a picture of the Hornady CAPD and the the RCBS CAPD side-by-side below. You'll notice the RCBS is anodized; the RCBS CAPD uses shoulder screws does not have any slop where as the Hornady CAPD uses shoulder nuts and has a lot of slop in the linkage. The Hornady powder measure might be alright with an RCBS linkage but with the Hornady linkage I couldn't get good repeatability with 23 grains of Accurate 2200. My RCBS is always repeatable within .1 grains on 2200 or Unique

Empyrean the digital case counter was quite easy to install. I ordered a digital up counter on eBay that installed in a bracket I made out of 1"x2" square steel tubing that was about 6" long. On one end of the tubing I remove a 1" wide piece of the tube on the top, front and bottom leaving back so I could bolt it to the case feeder support using the bolt that holds the case feeder tube support. Then I cut out an opening in the tubing mount the meter. The meter I used was made by Red Lion and is a model CUB2000 and cost me $15, it runs on two N-type batteries that are supposed to last four years. Then I mounted a reed switch with 3M auto body tape to the base of the press next to the bracket that holds the completed case bin, see picture below. Then I simply placed a magnet under the lower shell pate and against the hex head bevel screw to trip the reed switch, see picture below red arrow points to placement.

Empyrean
December 7, 2006, 05:48 AM
Luggernut,

Yes, the .355 expander was incorrectly manufactured. They will send a replacement sometime next week.

Cobra414,

You will still have to order at least one pistol rotor and metering insert prior to ordering additional pistol metering inserts. It will be much less costly this way.

Idano,

Thanks for the counter info but I don't see the pictures! Sounds like a great idea. Did you have to do anything special to use the low primer warning buzzer? Did you just clamp it down to that little black plastic piec on the primer tube?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Greg from Hornady also told me to check my shellplates. He said if the bottom of the shell plate doesn't have a slight 45 degree ange leading into the spring raceway then they can re-tool the shellplates for me. He also said that they should have radiused edges in the shell cut-outs where it goes into the case rim. I checked my stuff was fine but I did notice a few tiny burrs on my shellplates.

Idano
December 7, 2006, 10:33 AM
Empyrean Sorry about the pictures, I forgot to upload them, here they are. Regarding the RCBS/Dillon Low Primer alarm, it clamps directly on the black plastic piece on the top, just make sure you use your station #3 for your power measure or else it will hit the alarm. I use my expander die in station #2 with pistol

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady L-N-L Power Through Expander Issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!