Cheapest Brass Polish

PDA

orfeo
December 6, 2006, 09:48 AM
So far, the cheapest brass polish (for tumbling cases in walnut media) I have found is Lyman Turbo Brite 20 ounces for $9.99 + $5.00 shipping from Cabela's.

Anybody know of a cheaper source?

What about liquid compound used by auto body to polish a wet-sanded laquer paint job? Is car paint liquid compound the same thing as what we use for case polishing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest Brass Polish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bula
December 6, 2006, 10:10 AM
I've read Nu Finish Car polish thinned out with a little mineral spirits added to the media and tumbled for awhile prior to adding the brass works good.

Walkalong
December 6, 2006, 10:17 AM
I use Franklin Armory polish from Midway. I don't know if it's the cheapest, but it works great . Folks here have all sorts of concoctions for shining up brass. :)

RustyFN
December 6, 2006, 11:27 AM
I use Nu-finish car polish not thinned out. Two cap fulls in the tumbler while it is running, then add the brass. Also take a dryer sheet and cut it into about 10 pieces and add them to the tumbler. They will collect the crud and keep your media clean.
Rusty

gns4me
December 6, 2006, 11:41 AM
I use turtle wax brand car polish thined with alcohol or mineral spirits. It even comes in two grits. red / course or white / fine. (and its cheap to) Any Polish / abrasive can be used. just make sure there is no amonia in it (nose test will tell that).:D

Shoney
December 6, 2006, 01:12 PM
I use Turtle wax with both wallnut and corn cob media. However, I get mine for $0.25 to $0.50 at rummage sales. And yes, I scrounge thru the garbage cans at the range.

Idano
December 6, 2006, 01:26 PM
I use the same method as RustyFN with corn cob media and it work outstanding:

I use Nu-finish car polish not thinned out. Two cap fulls in the tumbler while it is running, then add the brass. Also take a dryer sheet and cut it into about 10 pieces and add them to the tumbler. They will collect the crud and keep your media clean.
Rusty

The last brass I cleaned took only an hour and a half to clean polish like new.

SUBMOAS
December 6, 2006, 01:42 PM
Brasso.............................. Walgreens,Wal Mart. All you need is two tablespoons for a standard tumbler..:)

ocabj
December 6, 2006, 01:49 PM
I started using Nu Finish since my father has a bunch of it and it's ammonia free. What I do though is run the tumbler with media and no brass in it. I put in no more than a tablespoon in the tumbler and then add about a tablespoon of mineral spirits. I'll let the tumbler run for about 10 minutes to mix the stuff around. Then I toss in the brass and a dryer/fabric softener sheet.

Shoney
December 6, 2006, 04:24 PM
DO NOT USE BRASSO TO CLEAN CARTRIDGE BRASS!!

Cartridge brass is 70% coper and 30% zink. Ammonia leeches the zink from the brass at a rapid rate, the longer the contact, the more that is leeched. A small reduction in the % zink will cause the brass to be brittle and can cause catastrophic rupture of the case.

Try this experiment: put a dab of brasso on a case that is trashed. let it sit for an hour, then remove. You will see the brass is now redish. This is the copper showing, brass has a loss of zink.

callgood
December 6, 2006, 04:33 PM
Another NuFinish here. I was talking with a guy who processed brass commercially and that's what he used. Purchased from Advance Auto it's approximately 1/2 the cost of Reloading polish additives. I use it straight, two capfulls per two 12 oz coffee cans of corn media. And you can use it on your car too!

Case lube? 1/2 lanolin, 1/2 isopropyl alcohol.

Rod B
December 6, 2006, 05:56 PM
I also use the NuFinish. One capful added to the media along with the previouly mentioned use of a "Bounce" dryer fabric softener sheet cut into strips.

Rod.:)

Lupara
December 6, 2006, 06:07 PM
+1 for Nu Finish. Purchased a bottle yesterday and tumbled 3 different batches of spent brass:

- twice fired brass: 3 hrs
- rinsed brass (vinegar/salt): 4 hrs
- dirty range pickups: 6 hrs

Eventually all cases were shining like new.

SUBMOAS
December 6, 2006, 07:01 PM
I only use 2 table spoons in my tumble. I will put the brasso in without any brass, let the tumble run with the top off till the media has no more clumps.
I have been reloading for twenty years and never had a problem(knock on wood).

lamazza
December 6, 2006, 07:28 PM
My method has evolved...
I throw about a capfull of Nu Finish in a plastic bag with brass and shake shake shake-then I dump the contents into tumbler with plain corn media-works great.

robertbank
December 6, 2006, 09:03 PM
+1 for Nu-Finish Care Was. I think it is the smae stuff dillon sells only costs a lot less. Nix on brasso. I don;t want to be knocking on the wooden top of my casket.

Take Care

Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest Brass Polish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!