Ruger 44 Carbine - opinions

PDA

JCF
December 6, 2006, 11:52 AM
I am thinking about picking up a used 44 carbine at a local gunshop. It is the model resembling the 10/22 design, NOT the M1 style.

Has anyone got any opinions on this little carbine? Shootability, reliability, accuracy, etc??

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 44 Carbine - opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DnPRK
December 6, 2006, 11:58 AM
I've got both old and new styles. They both are instant death to anything within 100 yds. I prefer the old style because you can top off the shotgun style magazine without having to fumble with releasing the mag, then loading the mag, then re-inserting the mag.

Baba Louie
December 6, 2006, 12:10 PM
One could argue that it's probably Ruger's best centerfire carbine within it's limitations as it comes from the mfg.
I believe they made one w/ a Mannlicher stock for awhile and that's the one I seek. It's just the look of it, has no bearing on it's accuracy.

Hank Hunter
December 6, 2006, 09:04 PM
A friend with several guns to choose from always uses his Ruger 44 for black bear.

Ranger J
December 8, 2006, 11:25 AM
I have a Deerfield (the newer one) and it is an excellent rifle. At fifty yards it will shoot same hole. It workes best with bullets in the 240G neighborhood. Only downside I have found is you are not supposed to shoot cast bullets in it.
RJ

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 44 Carbine - opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!