300 win mag case wildcat....??

PDA

Mike Sr.
December 6, 2006, 02:32 PM
I've a Ruger stainless 300 W-mag rifle and I am thinking of this wildcat:
using a 300W-mag case open the brass to make it straight wall like a 444 case.

Or cutting case just below bottle-neck, then I'd have a straight wall case...DON'T LAFF...

what caliber would this be...?

It seems to me all I would need would be the proper barrel installed...

If you enjoyed reading about "300 win mag case wildcat....??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rich636
December 6, 2006, 04:20 PM
The diameter from outer case wall to outer case wall, just before it shoulders down, is .489". So I would guess if it were blown out or cut you would be in the .45 range. Just a guess :confused:

Jim Watson
December 6, 2006, 05:11 PM
Depends on what your trim length is.
Cut to 2.5" and you have what has been known as a .458 Winchester Magnum for the past 45 or 50 years.
Leave it at the 2.62" caselength of the .300 Win Mag and you have neither fish nor fowl intermediate between .458 Winchester and .458 Lott, but certainly shootable.
Cut back to 2" and you have the .458 American.
Pick a length not previously used and put your name on it.

You could blow it out utterly straight at whatever length the bolt throw and magazine would allow and load with a .475" bullet.

Taper it down or apply a slight shoulder and you can shoot .429" .44 caliber bullets but there aren't many that would stand the heat of a magnum rifle cartridge. Best to go to .435, .423, .416, or .411 if you want something smaller than .458.

Any diameter you can buy bullets for will just be a minor variation of something already done.

Mike Sr.
December 6, 2006, 06:11 PM
Mr Watson...how does this name sound for my new wildcat:

**Mike's Mauler**..:what: :what: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually I like the idea of using the entire length 300W-mag round...how would I straight wall it without 'ruining' the brass...

Jim Watson
December 6, 2006, 08:05 PM
I don't do wildcats, but blowing the bottleneck out with pistol powder is well thought of. Ten or 15 grains of Bullseye with or without filler and NO BULLET will usually blow the case out evenly. Best dig up some detailed techniques on that before you fly, but that is the basis.

asknight
December 6, 2006, 09:32 PM
Due to the belted case, it sounds reasonably close to the 450 Marlin also.

Jim Watson
December 7, 2006, 12:19 AM
Yes, but the .450 Marlin does not have a standard H&H belt. It is wider at .250" instead of .220" to keep some lame brain from stuffing a short .458 into a long bottleneck and blowing his stupid head off. You could probably make it work in a bolt action, it is not much different from the .458 American; 2.1" vs 2" but it would not let Mike cut off all that .300 Winmag brass.

If you enjoyed reading about "300 win mag case wildcat....??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!