Need advice on "homemade" AK project

PDA

NotOneMore
December 6, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm considering getting a 1.6mm stamped receiver assembly from Global Trades for 7.62x39mm and having them attach the trunnions, hardware, etc. Want to keep the US part count very high, but realize I'll need some parts (like the barrel) from overseas.

Main thing I want to focus on is durability and a reasonable amount of accuracy. I know many AK owers will recommend I go 5.45 instead, but I'm comfortable with 7.62. Your thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on "homemade" AK project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GTSteve03
December 6, 2006, 06:31 PM
If you're wanting a heavy-receiver AK, why not just go with a VEPR? They're built on RPK receivers (1.6mm) and are outstandingly accurate for an AK platform. They come in 5.56, 7.62x39 and 7.62x51.

Or you can get a Saiga in 7.62x51 built on the RPK heavy receiver.

Ian Sean
December 6, 2006, 07:56 PM
The 7.62 has always and probably will always be in more plentiful supply, so if you don't want ammo hassles (and cost) I would stick with the 7.62.

doubleg
December 6, 2006, 08:01 PM
I always liked 7.62. It has a really good feeling recoil about it and the ballistics are decent. Not to mention ammo is cheap.

Ndenway
December 6, 2006, 09:57 PM
I'd base what reciever I buy on what kit its going to be used on,

the 1.0m reiceiver is sufficient and doesn't have to have the trunnions milled to work with it,

and then theres the nodakspud/DCI econo recievers for $50 that are very good, they also have many other reiceivers for specific country of origin kits,

every one of the 1.0m 5.45 and 7.62 GT/armory receivers I've handled had a slight twist to them, I was kinda dissapointed with this since they cost more than anyother brand of 100% receiver,

if your going to build say a polish, sa85 or amd, then go with a very good reciever, but if its just a romy, then use the econo receiver or build on a bend your own flat

NotOneMore
December 7, 2006, 12:02 AM
...an SA-85 M would be a lot of fun; I've heard many good things about that model. Some folks swear on the Romanian models, but I have to be careful - some of those WASR-10s I've seen didn't look too dependable.

ID_shooting
December 7, 2006, 12:16 AM
I built mine off of a Romanian AKM kit.

The kits are different from the WASR rifles. The WASRs are built for export the AKM kits are built for service and I have read that they are made with better steel and under more QA. I think it was AK47.net I read that so who knows.

Anyway, I used the 1.6mm receiver from RTM.

The only hard part was correctly marking the holes for the trunions (you will likely have to do this on any build as they change from gun to gun). Removing the rivots was a breeze with a grinder in the dremmel and on LOW speed and being very very carefull. I then drilled and tapped the rivot holes and used screws to assemble it.

Over 3k rounds and nothing has moved, not one stoppage, and every mag I have tried has worked (5 euro mags). Accuracy is what I expect, around 3 inches @ 100. Took me 5 working days to complete the project.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on "homemade" AK project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!