300 WSM

PDA

moody22
December 6, 2006, 06:55 PM
I was thinking about getting a 300 WSM, but was wondering what kindof gun is similiar to the recoil? 300 win.? 7mm?

If you enjoyed reading about "300 WSM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FatalMove
December 6, 2006, 07:26 PM
i have a browning bar in .300 WSM and it has the boss muzzel brake on it. Its recoil is lighter than a standard 30-06. I haven't shot a wsm without the muzzel brake thou. Hope it helps.

Fatal][V][ove

grizz
December 6, 2006, 07:42 PM
Recoil is almost exactly like a .300 WM. Maybe a little snappier. Maybe 10-15% more than a 30-06. Probably more than a 7mm mag because of the heavier bullet weight, but I'm not sure. Somewhere on the net I once saw a nifty chart that had the recoil energy for just about every cartridge out there. I'll try to find it again.

hoghunting
December 6, 2006, 11:53 PM
The 300 WSM is supposed to be a lighter recoiling cartridge than the 300 WM, but I can't tell any difference between the two. The recoil feels the same as the 300 WM.

Waywatcher
December 7, 2006, 01:13 AM
I hunt with a Tikka 30-06 and am quite used to the recoil.

My Father-in-Law bought a Tikka in 300WSM and it felt like I got kicked in the chest when I fired it. It really shook me up good. Once was enough for me. YMMV.

He shot a buck-fawn with it this year, and I kid you not the hole in the hide was big enough to pass a grapefruit through. :what:

Bullet
December 7, 2006, 01:24 AM
You can use this to figure recoil -

http://www.travellercentral.com/rules/ke.html

Smokey Joe
December 7, 2006, 10:38 AM
Moody22--So much of recoil is your own reaction to it. The best thing for you to do, therefore, is find someone with a .300WSM who'll let you shoot it, and go shoot it.

I was an exclusive .30-'06 man for many years. Then branched out in several directions, including getting a .300 WSM. To me, the .300 Wizzem is a .30-'06 on steroids, not that much different, quite tolerable. But--and this is the big BUT--YRMV!! The only way for you to know how YOU react to a particular catridge, and to a particular rifle model, is to shoot that cartridge in that model.

killzone
December 7, 2006, 10:53 AM
Smokey Joe Hit the bulls eye!

hoghunting
December 7, 2006, 03:27 PM
When I stated that the WSM's felt recoil was about the same as the WM's, I was not complaining. I don't have a problem with the recoil, and in the field, you won't notice it anyway.

Waywatcher,
If the exit hole was that large on your F-I-L's deer, he was probably using the Win Ballistic Tip factory loads. The Ballistic tip has proved to be a very lousy bullet. Tell him to try a better bullet.

Waywatcher
December 7, 2006, 04:04 PM
He was using Federal 180 grain PSP's.

iamkris
December 7, 2006, 08:54 PM
I have a Tuikka T3 in 300 WSM. I don't find the recoil to be objectionable at all. Maybe 20% more than a bolt action .30-06. Mine maintains consistent 2/3 MOA with my handloads

Here's a report from my hunt this year in Wyoming
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=225786&highlight=wyoming

If you enjoyed reading about "300 WSM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!